Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Again, why do you limit your thoughts only to current BCS schools? The Pac 10 can move into Texas without having UT and A&M join their conference...there are other schools out there that would get them into that market if they really want and for some reason UT and A&M don't want to go.

I'm not limiting my thoughts to current BCS schools. But if you think that the likes of TCU and SMU will deliver the texas media markets than I have some pretty nice ground I can sell you in Arizona.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm not limiting my thoughts to current BCS schools. But if you think that the likes of TCU and SMU will deliver the texas media markets than I have some pretty nice ground I can sell you in Arizona.

They absolutely deliver the Texas markets...maybe not as well as UT and A&M would but they would absolutely put the Pac 10 in the Texas media markets and increase the Pac 10's ability to either develop their own network or get a better contract with an existing network.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Right, and I edited that into my first post.

The demand is already there, one has to think. And if people are correct that nobody cares about Rutgers, what's to be gained.

I suppose it gives a local flavor...
Just think how many cable companies would be forced to take on the Big Ten Network. Ugly. Have you seen how bad Rutgers volleyball is? Or Syracuse gym men?

Last edited:

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Reactions: LutherClone

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
They absolutely deliver the Texas markets...maybe not as well as UT and A&M would but they would absolutely put the Pac 10 in the Texas media markets and increase the Pac 10's ability to either develop their own network or get a better contract with an existing network.

I agree with what your saying here but they wouldn't have any bargaining power as maybe 10 percent of people in DFW follow TCU and SMU and less than that in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.

You are right though as it probably would put a PAC-10 network into some markets (most likely DFW) but not statewide.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Just heard an interview with Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com and from he stated that Texas is trying to hold the B12 together and A&M has been talking to the SEC, apparently they (A&M) have a 16M athletic budget deficit and could get their own TV network. It also seems (from his interview) that Mizzou and Nebby want the big 10 more than the big 10 wants them.

ISU-KU-KST-Bay are all waiting to see what happens.

Sorry if all this is old news.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX

What are you smoking and where can I get some?

SMU averaged 21,347 people at their home games.
Highest home attendence: 34,749 (Stephen F. Austin, season opener)
Lowest home attendence: 13,626 (East Carolina)

TCU averaged 38,187 people at their home games.
Highest home attendence: 50,307 (#16 Utah)
Lowest home attendence: 31,156 (Colorado State)

For comparison, A&M averaged 76,800, Texas averaged 101,169.

Baylor, SMU, and TCU are afterthoughts in this state. Saying that TCU and SMU would "deliver" the Texas market is like saying that UNI could "deliver" the Iowa market, CMU and Western Michigan could deliver Michigan or LA Tech could deliver Louisiana.

By this logic, the conference to replace the Big XII should be:

ISU
KSU
KU
Baylor
SMU
TCU
Fresno St.
San Jose St.
San Diego St.
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Buffalo
Miami (OH)
Northern Illinois

ISU delivers Iowa, KU and KSU delivers Kansas/KC, Baylor/SMU/TCU delivers the Texas market, Fresno, SDSU and San Jose deliver California, FAU and FIU bring Florida, WMU and CMU take the Michigan market, Buffalo locks up New York, Miami handles Ohio, and NIU carries Illinois.

That's every major TV market. We could rule College FB!!! :jimlad:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Awesome thought right here:

There’s too many interests, too many old grudges - happily fueled by the media - about how the league formed and an unhealthy obsession, if you ask me, with money. A wad of cash hasn’t done squat for most of the programs in the Big Ten. There’s still one good way to build a football program from ground up, and it’s not with venture capital and fancy facilities alone. Too many Big 12 programs bought into the money myth, and it has their heads spinning. The media’s too. Consider that Mizzou’s whole position on conference realignment is built on something completely unrelated to its program success: Television sets. Is that how we measure athletic departments now?