are we a basketball school again?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Like a lot have said, the ceiling in basketball is much higher than football. It's nearly impossible for us to be an elite program in football, it's much more attainable for basketball.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
we don't have a winning overall record in either of those sports. can we legitimately call ourselves either?

It's not fair to look at the entire history when evaluating these two sports.

KSU has a very bad overall football record, but would have certainly been considered a football school in throughout most of the 90's until Snyder retired. They seem to be trending back toward that now (Snyder part 2).

On the flip side, I'd be shocked if Minnesota doesn't hold a very good overall winning % in FB, but you certainly wouldn't consider them a football school.

I'm not saying 1-2 years makes a "football" or "MBB" school, but you shouldn't have to look back past say 5'ish years, IMO.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
we aren't considered either...until we crack the top 25 consistently for 5 years in one of the sports we are neither.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Like a lot have said, the ceiling in basketball is much higher than football. It's nearly impossible for us to be an elite program in football, it's much more attainable for basketball.

This appears to be the prevailing view of most inside and outside the AD, but assure you Pollard is working to make FB program a top program(just look where the investments have been made). Luckily we're in a conference were we have the exposure and competition to be top 15 every year (just win). But also, FB is where the investment is going (score board, stadium concessions/bathrooms, future endzone bowl in).

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This appears to be the prevailing view of most inside and outside the AD, but assure you Pollard is working to make FB program a top program(just look where the investments have been made). Luckily we're in a conference were we have the exposure and competition to be top 15 every year (just win). But also, FB is where the investment is going (score board, stadium concessions/bathrooms, future endzone bowl in).

We are making investments into our FB facilities, but much of that is just the bare minimum to stay in our relatively, close to the bottom of the conference position (where we've always been). It's not as if the rest of the B12 isn't investing as much or far more in their FB facilities.

Due to the future conference TV contracts, we will at least be able to distance ourselves from mid-major schools, which historically we have been closer to than the "football" schools in the BCS leagues from a facility standpoint.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that MBB being actually decent has kept fans' minds off of FB a little. It used to be that we were focused on spring practice and looking forward to it while MBB season was windng down. This year, the MBB team kept us interested, so we didn't really turn our attention to FB as early.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

What else can we really do to improve the basketball facilities? Maybe upgrade the outside of Hilton? Ever since the basketball facility was built, there hasn't been that much to do. All the money should go into the football program and that's coming from a basketball first guy.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
What else can we really do to improve the basketball facilities? Maybe upgrade the outside of Hilton? Ever since the basketball facility was built, there hasn't been that much to do. All the money should go into the football program and that's coming from a basketball first guy.

I guess because I'm a football first guy and I'd like to think we're putting emphasis on FB. However, you're right there really isn't much to do for BB now with the BB facility. I do believe for AD sustainability, we must have a successfull FB program and we're in a position to work towards that end. More than likely if we're going to build the program, we're in year 4 of a required 10-15 years of bowls and competitiveness.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Me personally Id say basketball. I don't get too excited for football especially when .500 is considered a good season. On the other hand Im die hard basketball and think we have the potential to be a top 25 team most years.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
we don't have a winning overall record in either of those sports. can we legitimately call ourselves either?

That speaks to whether Iowa State has an identity either way.

(If we're looking at sport-specific prominence, ISU may still be considered a "Wrestling School.")

If it's one or the other: Basketball.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
On the other hand Im die hard basketball and think we have the potential to be a top 25 team most years.

We've very rarely realized that kind of potential, so that'd be a hell of an accomplishment to be a top 25 team most years. I'd be stoked if we got to that level.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
We have always been a basketball school. Hilton magic is a big deal in Iowa. There are bright spots during certain football years, but this is nothing new.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Whoaa, which teams will ISU surpass to get to the top 15.

You act like this is so out of line... from jan 1 on we were playing like a top 15 team this year. Its definitely not out of line to think thats something doable again.

As for the overall question... ISU is a basketball school and a tailgating school. Football will always drive the revenue bus, but we're going to have to see more than just making the occasional bottom tier bowl before we're ever in the category of 'football school'

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I predict a very bad season in football. Not to put the cart in front of the horse, just a gut feeling. Not trying to be negative though.

it's hard to claim we're going to have a decent football season since we're in the bigXII.... especially now that WV and TCU are in it.

But our SOS will consistently be top 25

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I'm not a basketball fan. I only cheer for the ISU teams because their success is good for, and looks good for the University. As I've said before, I'd trade a thousand years in the basketball dumpster for a football championship... and I don't think I'm alone in that. I don't think ISU is either a basketball school or a football school, but I think the general ISU fan base prefers football over basketball... just like the rest of America as a whole.

I never quite understood why basketball is such a big deal. I would much rather watch baseball, wrestling, or hockey.

Help Support Us

Become a patron