are we a basketball school again?

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
Good question.

I'm a football first guy and probably see us more as a basketball school just because we've been more successful at it. It is just so tough to become a great football program when you are in Iowa State's position. I agree with what others are saying in that it is easier to become great at basketball. For football, we're in the second-best conference and schools like Texas and Oklahoma are always going to get the best recruits to stay on top for a majority of the years.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Good question.

I'm a football first guy and probably see us more as a basketball school just because we've been more successful at it. It is just so tough to become a great football program when you are in Iowa State's position. I agree with what others are saying in that it is easier to become great at basketball. For football, we're in the second-best conference and schools like Texas and Oklahoma are always going to get the best recruits to stay on top for a majority of the years.

I'm a bigger fan of college basketball, but obviously as several fans mentioned, it "pays" more to be a football school.

But, as you & other suggest:

1. It's more difficult to build football success and sustain it — and I honestly think it requires more years at that status to "qualify" as FB school vs. BB.

2. ISU bball already has a jump start, compared to football. A track record of national relevance in basketball — sporadic, yes, and not national-title level. Even with a long dry spell in recent years, getting back to that level is more easily attainable.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
ISU is a basketball school, just look at the attendance they get even during really bad years. In football, CPR has really engergized the fan base and they still can't sell out the place. I think if they were to ever consistently win 8-9 games a year then it might be a football school but for now I would say basketball.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
How is this not negative?
Didn't you know that if you say something extremely negative and then follow it with a statment saying you aren't trying to be negative it negates all negativity. Just like saying "no offense" and then saying something offensive.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't think ISU is necessarily a basketball school again.....if it ever really was one and then lost it somehow.

I think both football and basketball are headed in the right direction. I think basketball will get back faster because it is a little bit easier to re-build a basketball program than it is a football program, imo. I say that because a couple of really good players in basketball can carry you. It takes many more players, and much more development time to build a football program.

I want to see all of the programs at ISU succeed. I see programs like Volleyball, Gymnastics, Track and even Golf on the right track. But then I also see programs like Wrestling slipping drastically, and programs like Softball, Tennis, etc. just sort of floundering. I know these are minor programs, but wouldn't you still like to see ISU be better than average in all of them?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Didn't you know that if you say something extremely negative and then follow it with a statment saying you aren't trying to be negative it negates all negativity. Just like saying "no offense" and then saying something offensive.

You're the biggest piece of **** on the face of the earth...

no offense.

See, works perfectly.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Thought I'd bump my own thread. This year makes me feel the trend moving even more toward bball at least for me. We bought season fb tix for the first time in 3 years because our kids finally old enough to go to some games and maybe that will change my perspective. How the rest of you feel?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Thought I'd bump my own thread. This year makes me feel the trend moving even more toward bball at least for me. We bought season fb tix for the first time in 3 years because our kids finally old enough to go to some games and maybe that will change my perspective. How the rest of you feel?
im more optimistic about basketball than I am about football just my 2 cents.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
With a couple of breaks we could have been in the Final Four. If we had the same amount of help, we would still have lost our bowl game.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
watching the spring game got me back into the football rhythm but until about a week ago I was still all BB...

I think both of our BIG athletics are on the rise causing me to be excited for everything ISU. Which in return is getting my girlfriend more and more mad at me for spending so much time on CF...
once youre married she'll watch abc family and itll all be good.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Imo the majority of the fan base would love for isu to be a football school but you have to look at results. 3 bowl wins and No conference championships means there's a long way to go before isu would even b considered.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, I've gotta be honest here, basketball is clearly taking precedence in Ames. You've got the Mayor running the show, NCAA Tournament appearances and wins, 20+ win seasons, good recruiting classes, just tons of things to be excited about in Ames for basketball. Then in football....

another .500 season and no-show in a bowl game. I love the bowl games don't get me wrong, but one of these years, Rhoads is gonna have to get the boys up over that .500 mark or people will be calling for his head just like they did with McCarney a few years back. Word is he's bringing in great recruiting classes and likes to red shirt most, if not all, freshman, so hopefully the player development is coming along nicely and we can maybe get a little Bill Snyder-north thing going. Otherwise, yes, we will always bow knee to the Texas schools as clearly we aren't going to recruit that state as well as TTU, UT, and TCU or probably even Baylor. We get all the Texas kids that those schools don't want (i.e. Jared Barnett) but as for this year, I'd expect much of the same results as the previous 2 years. Maybe only 5 wins even. But I think 2014 could be big.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron