are we a basketball school again?

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
So much hawk traffic lately I can't keep up with all of them. Must be nothing to talk about on hawkeyenation. Just want to come chill with the big bro like all the recruits

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I think our ceiling is 5-8 wins a year in football. I don't see that ceiling with basketball, we realistically could have gone a lot further this year than we did.
We realistically could have been a 7/8 win team in football last year as well if a couple games would have played out differnt (k-state, WV, maybe even OU)

whippetranch

Feb 9, 2013
Lower Beaver, DSM, IA
I personally would take 10 years in fb basement for a bb national championship.

True. Football is important for many reasons but many Iowa State fans are just as passionate or more about basketball. I am one of them and will be a season ticket holder in basketball but not football. I mean come on... we were a nationally panned call from being undefeated at home in basketball, meanwhile we dropped multiple major games at home in football and fell on our face for the second year in a row in a bowl game.

It is absolutely harder to succeed in football and I'm by all means in support of our football team but to me we are and will continue to be a basketball school until proven otherwise.

As a former Cyclone athlete (XC/Track, '04-'05) I'm thrilled with where we are at in both football and basketball, as well as our resurgence in most olympic sports. My Cyclone pride and hope for the future is at an all time high.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd rather a football championship than...pretty much anything. 10 years is too much to bear though. I like basketball too much. How about 5 years of basement Big 12 basketball in exchange for at the very least a BCS Bowl?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I think we've always been a basketball school even during the Doormat years

I agree with this. Football has improved a lot the last 13 years, but the basketball side of it..... Hilton Magic, Johnny, Fred, Floyd, Larry E, that's what this school is more known for I think.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
We need to be a total athletic department school and that starts with football and continues on to basketball and then the rest fall into place.

The foundation is laid. A breakout year in football will take us to heights you never dreamed possible.

Or just be K-State.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
saw during conference realignment issues a few years back (no link) that even though KU is a 100% basketball school their entire basketball income is the same as 1.5 home football games. that's how powerful home football games are.
I find this hard to believe. Do they even care about football at KU? Don't make much money if there aren't butts in the seats of your football stadium. I say this having no idea what their attendance numbers are. But ku football? I don't knowwww....

I wish you had a link. Seems like a lot.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I find this hard to believe. Do they even care about football at KU? Don't make much money if there aren't butts in the seats of your football stadium. I say this having no idea what their attendance numbers are. But ku football? I don't knowwww....

I wish you had a link. Seems like a lot.

did a search and latest numbers (2009) showed a larger income from basketball than football. i must have heard those numbers wrong.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
True. Football is important for many reasons but many Iowa State fans are just as passionate or more about basketball. I am one of them and will be a season ticket holder in basketball but not football. I mean come on... we were a nationally panned call from being undefeated at home in basketball, meanwhile we dropped multiple major games at home in football and fell on our face for the second year in a row in a bowl game.

It is absolutely harder to succeed in football and I'm by all means in support of our football team but to me we are and will continue to be a basketball school until proven otherwise.

As a former Cyclone athlete (XC/Track, '04-'05) I'm thrilled with where we are at in both football and basketball, as well as our resurgence in most olympic sports. My Cyclone pride and hope for the future is at an all time high.

I do not disagree with you at all. But in BBall, we've had some legitimate teams in the past and even this year. Looking at how things played out, in BBall, we were pretty clos a couple of times to having what football would consider a BCS Bowl team. Even this year, get by Ohio State and who knows.

I still think though, with the fanbase football has now, you put ISU on a run that threatens a Big 12 Championship run and this fanbase would explode. Basically, I'm not calling you wrong by any stretch. It's moreso that I would be really interested to see what would happen to ISU football if they did make a serious run at a BCS (or whatever they are going to call them) run and be able to maintain that success going forward, to at least get 8 wins a season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron