Are Free Throws really that hard to make?

Are free throws easy to make?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

HighLeakageCy

Jan 3, 2024
Back in the glory days I think I would shoot 80% qin practice (after running) and 65% in games. The weird thing I look for in free throw shooters is the guys who can misshoot a little but still land in softly on the front and the rim and have it crawl in. Think I was always too worried about the airball and back ironed too many.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Weird how the one to win at home he missed. Did no one tell him to use the muscle memory?

There's just so many coaches that clearly don't think free throws are important.

Or the players just don't put in the effort.

Like Robert Jones for example: it's clear that he's worked his tail off in his time at ISU and wants nothing more than to win but when it comes to free throws he must just be like 'nah'.

/S

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Harder when you are tired. That’s the biggest issue.

Other than bob I mean, he’s just bad at it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
do you remember a player Devin Riley playing from 95-99 for ISU. He is on facebook just blistering anyone who doesnot agree with him about freethrows and points BRE cost the team last night. I am curious as I don't remember him. Hemakes it sound like he is a stud.
Did we just discover the identity of ZRF?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
People keep bringing up being able to hit 6 of 10 or 8 of 10. But that isn't the way they are shot. Players get one or two and then they have to go run for a while then they come back often a bit out of breath and have to shoot 1, 2 or rarely 3. It is a lot different than getting in a groove and shooting 10 in a row.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
In a gym by yourself? No. In front of 15k people when the game is on the line and you are worn out? Yes
It's much harder to shoot the ball when you are gassed out.

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
do you remember a player Devin Riley playing from 95-99 for ISU. He is on facebook just blistering anyone who doesnot agree with him about freethrows and points BRE cost the team last night. I am curious as I don't remember him. Hemakes it sound like he is a stud.
Those were my years, don't remember that name, and if doesn't show up in Google then couldn't have happened

ISU has not had many pure shooters under TJ. If not a great shooter it's much harder to make a free throw in game situation vs. any of us at a gym practicing. That said, repetitive practice can't hurt, got to shoot a ton every day with a consistent routine. I would definitely have this high on Lipsey's summer homework.

Reactions: AlCyJim

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Saw a study years ago that indicated heavy weightlifting negatively impacted free throw shooting accuracy, but I think there's been plenty of research to rebut that in the years that followed. It's about perfecting a repetitive motion, not about being too tired or adding bulk that makes the shot more difficult.
If that the were the case the Iowa team would be shooting 95%+. They can't fashion any semblance of muscle tone across their roster.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Those were my years, don't remember that name, and if doesn't show up in Google then couldn't have happened

ISU has not had many pure shooters under TJ. If not a great shooter it's much harder to make a free throw in game situation vs. any of us at a gym practicing. That said, repetitive practice can't hurt, got to shoot a ton every day with a consistent routine. I would definitely have this high on Lipsey's summer homework.
They should practice them blind folded-Ricky Bobby style

Reactions: NY Chicago Fan

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Every once in a while I make shooting baskets in the park part of my exercise routine and I end with 10 free throws. A couple weeks ago I did that two mornings in a row because the weather was nice.

Day 1, I made 8 out of 10 and was feeling pretty good about myself.

Day 2, I made 4 out of 10. And I realized why my glory days peaked in intramurals.

I also was in grad school with a 7-footer on the basketball team. I remember him saying how terrifying it was to shoot free throws in front of 14,000 people. He had something like a 70% field goal average and a 45% free-throw average.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
At this point in the season, it feels mental for a lot of these guys. Just not confident going to the line, and then the pressure/fatigue compound on that. The most concerning thing to me is it feels like free throws have been an issue in TJ’s entire tenure.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Lipsey's FT % has gone down while his general shooting has improved.

The 'mental toughness' angle doesn't make sense to me considering ISU even having a chance vs. many teams that have an athletic advantage takes toughness.