Are Free Throws really that hard to make?

Are free throws easy to make?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Free throws are easy in your driveway or in the gym by yourself, but it is really hard to simulate the pressure in game settings. That changes things. Back in the day, I could make free throws alone in the gym with no pressure.

However, our coach used to line us up at the end of practice and we had to make 10 in a row to leave. Not all individually, but a different guy each time. Simulating the front end of a 1 and 1. Meaning, I shoot one and make... next guy gets his one shot... make and next guy gets his shot and so on. Talk about pressure when you are the 7th guy in line and everybody is counting on you to make it... lol

I don't recall a single time we made it to ten. Coaches would make us run and let us go.
We did the same, most times we couldn’t get past 5 after about 15 minutes we just ran as well

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If there is a single poster on this board that could shoot 70% in similar conditions I would be shocked
Yeah, I was just going to say, if you want to compare apples to apples, fill the stands, then do two full sprints backs and forth full court, stop and do 10 arm presses with dumbells, then take two free throws. Two more full court sprints, presses, then shoot two again. Do that until you get to ten and see how it goes. It’s really hard to practice game conditions and adjust to your level of exhaustion.

Obviously other teams figure out, but I think last night proves how much getting tired affects your shot. Baylor’s FT shooting went to **** at the end of the game.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Iowa state's season percentage is 68.5%. Our opponents percentage in those same games is 71.4%.
There are 15 Iowa HS boys teams at 70% or higher and 248 teams under 60%.

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I do know I wouldn’t miss the rim by 2 feet in the craziest of environments.
Rob fades back and to his left during his shooting motion. Then he tries to correct for it with his release. Not only is his head moving, his whole upper body is moving. It’s egregiously terrible form for a high-level player that’s 24 yrs old. This lack of focus on free throws is this coaching staff’s biggest mistake.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There are definitely some things that can be coached fundamentally in terms of making FTs.

For example... I think Lipsey's FT shot is too flat... not enough arc.

But mostly... FT shooting is mental. I think when your nerves are coming into play... it's better just to shoot quick. Take a couple dribbles and just go right into your shot. Don't hold the ball and stand there and think about it too long. I would just try to stay as loose as possible and go right into the shot from the dribble.

Just my two cents. Probably meaningless.

I will say.. it probably shouldn't be a strategy at the end of games to get to the line with our guys that we know struggle at the line. Like last night for example... two of our last possessions in a row Lipsey just came down the court and drove right into Baylor players in the lane and got the foul call. Then proceeded to make 2 out of his 4 FTs. Not great, but actually probably better results than we would have gotten had we run our offense instead. We weren't hitting 50% of our FGs last night.... so what Lipsey did was probably better.

Reactions: cayin and chadly82

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
We used to have a guy or two who was really solid but the last several years it's been pretty rough. I'm sure they are much harder in games than for us jokers at lifetime, but it still seems like something a coach could get at least a couple guys solid at. It's definitely cost the team a few wins in the last several years.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
My theory is we play so hard on defense the legs give out and FTs decline. Not a complaint just a is what it is. You can't convince me these guys aren't shooting a ton of free throws at the end of practices/workouts.
So Jones is 2-6 in first 3 minutes of second half from line. That’s not due to playing hard on defense. Sometimes teams just don’t shoot well from FT line. We were 69% going into game. I agree - I’d bet my house they shoot a ton. People saying they need to shoot more or “borrow what Fred is doing”…come on now.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I was thinking about this recently. We've seen the FT% regress, especially the first year here, on almost all of our transfers. I think what you mentioned as #2 above is the primary reason.

So I went and looked it up:

Gilbert: Previous 76%; ISU 71%
CJones: Previous 75%; ISU 77%
Pav: Previous: 84%; ISU 73% (small sample size )
Holmes: Previous 74%; ISU 69%
Osunniyi: Previous 64%; ISU 67%
Jaz : Previous 80%; ISU 73%
Gabe: Previous 78%; ISU 69%
Ward: Previous 70%; ISU 46% (small sample size)
R Jones: Previous 48%; ISU 42%
Brockington: Previous 78%; ISU 78%

So leaving out the small sample sizes (< 30 FTs with ISU), there's been 8 transfers - 2 improved slightly; 1 stayed the same; 5 regressed between 5-9%.

Also, something to watch for next year - Gabe and Jaz both improved between years 1 and 2 at ISU, but not back to where they were before (both shot >86% in the year before their transfer). For that matter, Bob has improved every year here too, for what it's worth - in his 5 yr career he's 140-314.
And lipsey was 72, inj, 70, 72 his four years of high school. Now shooting 67

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We used to have a guy or two who was really solid but the last several years it's been pretty rough. I'm sure they are much harder in games than for us jokers at lifetime, but it still seems like something a coach could get at least a couple guys solid at. It's definitely cost the team a few wins in the last several years.

Milan's shooting 86%.

As a team they're currently shooting 68%.

I'm doing some digging but so far collectively and individually they're about on par with some of ISU's best teams ever including Fred's better teams.

Several guys in the 70s and 60s weighted down by one or two in the 50s.

Royce White shot 49%.

The best ones so far that I've found were Johnny's last two teams and Tim's first one.

The 96-97 team shot 65% (!).

So I guess Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy and Fred all didn't emphasize motor memory enough throughout their tenures according to a few posters on here.

But Johnny, who had one conference winning season, did?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw a study years ago that indicated heavy weightlifting negatively impacted free throw shooting accuracy, but I think there's been plenty of research to rebut that in the years that followed. It's about perfecting a repetitive motion, not about being too tired or adding bulk that makes the shot more difficult.

Kinda not buying that weight lifting stuff either. Just looked at the Big 12 MBB team percentages versus the WBB percentages. The median for the Big 12 men's team is pretty much on par with the women's Big 12 teams, actually one point better. The perception is the women shoot them at a much better percentage. Think that comes from our own gals being historically near the top in the league.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
byu background.jpeg

I was surprised when I saw this. I don't know what the rules are regarding crowd props, but I was surprised this was within the rules. It must be, so fair enough.

Not sure why we don't invest in some visual technology to put behind the hoops.

Reactions: NWICY

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
346/505 = 68.5% (283rd in DI)
354/505 = 70% (235th)
Just a 8 more makes moves up the list nearly 50 spots. Also, attacking the basket results in more attempts. More attempts results in points, even when shooting a lower percentage. Just wish Milan (86%), Tre (80%), and CJones (77%) were getting the attempts.

Reactions: madguy30

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Fwiw Houston shoots free throws worse than we do