Anyone else disinterested in baseball this year?

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
Following today's game on the Gametracker, just for the last few minutes:

1) I see a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the 9th. That gives me the Marmol jitters.
2) I see a guy on base. Ouch.
3) I see Ryan Theriot coming up to bat, and he's 0-4 on the day. History tells me that he's about to tie the game or win it.
4) Theriot hits a double to drive in the tying run.

We need an overhaul, but we all knew. What a frustrating 9th inning.

In case you missed the tenth inning:

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols hit a game-ending homer in extra innings for the second straight day, beating the Chicago Cubs with a leadoff shot in the 10th inning of the St. Louis Cardinals' 3-2 victory on Sunday.
Pujols hammered a 2-1 belt-high fastball from Rodrigo Lopez (0-1) an estimated 446 feet to left for his 10th career game-ending homer. His fifth during a seven-game homestand and No. 13 for the season gave the Cardinals a three-game sweep over the scuffling Cubs, who have lost nine of 11.The Cardinals were down to their last strike before Ryan Theriot tied it with an RBI double off Carlos Marmol, driving in pinch-runner Tony Cruz from first.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols hit a game-ending homer in extra innings for the second straight day, beating the Chicago Cubs with a leadoff shot in the 10th inning of the St. Louis Cardinals' 3-2 victory on Sunday.
Pujols hammered a 2-1 belt-high fastball from Rodrigo Lopez (0-1) an estimated 446 feet to left for his 10th career game-ending homer. His fifth during a seven-game homestand and No. 13 for the season gave the Cardinals a three-game sweep over the scuffling Cubs, who have lost nine of 11.The Cardinals were down to their last strike before Ryan Theriot tied it with an RBI double off Carlos Marmol, driving in pinch-runner Tony Cruz from first.

400px-broom_icon.png

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was at that game with my dad.........I was 11 --- He taught me how to be a cubs hater by taking me to wrigley when the cards played them there. 1969 is still my favorite non-Cardinals WS year for baseball. Being a Cards fan and living in a smal town in NE IL and watching the community meltdown was priceless. Living in Cedar Rapids and watching this years hok meltdown was fun too.

Seeing a Mickey Mantle and Bob Gibson World Series game with your dad is pretty cool. Think that's a "wow factor" for me.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Thanks without this, I would not have known what would of happened. I mean it's not like there is a sports channel that goes over highlights or mlb.com.

Act like you've beat some amazing team.... oh wait.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Honestly i have lost a little interest in baseball, lucky for me the Cardinals are playing way better than i expected this season.....so i am still watching. However for some reason it feels that game has slown down while watching on TV. I am guessing for the past year or two i am used to watching most all TV via the DVR and can fast forward through slow parts. Football and Basketball are non-stop action, baseball has 3 seconds of action every 90 seconds.

That being said, I did watch AP the past two games look like the League MVP.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
went to see an ICubs game for our anniversary yesterday and it was far more exciting than any twins game ive watched this year. than again it is hard to beat a game where the cubs had an 8-0 lead and lost it and then getting the win in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs 9-8.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have many reasons why I just haven't gotten into baseball much this year, and the Twins being bad is only a minor part of it (although they do seem to be coming around a little bit).

I've just been so flipping busy this year preparing to move to Michigan less than a month from now that it just hasn't been a priority of mine, although my wife and I went to a Tigers-Rays game while on our house hunting trip and I'll be going to a Quad City River Bandits game tomorrow evening, not to mention probably several more Tigers games later this year.

Another problem is the internal debate I'm having with myself about whether the Twins are going to remain my primary team once I move to Michigan or will the Tigers replace them as my primary team. I've never hated the Tigers like a Twins fan should hate them - that has been saved for the White Sox and Indians. And I primarily became a Twins fan in the first place in response to Selig's threats to contract the team a decade ago. I know it's wishy-washy to cheer for two teams in the same conference/league, much more so if they play in the same division, but I just sense that's exactly what's going to happen with the Twins and Tigers - the only question I have is which one am I actually going to cheer for at the end of the day... (fortunately this is the only sport I'm having this grand debate - I do like the Lions but I don't envision them supplanting my love for the Falcons, and there is no way in hell I will ever cheer for either the Pistons or Red Wings)

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
THIS YEAR? hows about every year. i fell asleep at my first major league game. the only redeeming quality about baseball is getting drunk. but you can do that with any other sport too. so i guess it just plain sucks.

clintr

Nov 12, 2007
Ames, IA
Maybe I'm getting older, but sitting and watching a game is getting less and less appealing. The commercials are killing me.

I do enjoy listening to games though on the radio as I'm running around doing stuff in the evenings or on weekends. Seems like I get more enjoyment out of that these days.

Going in person to watch a game is always a stellar experience.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Baseball season is just so damn long. I follow the scores, pay attention to the draft and trade deadline activity, but baseball doesn't become must see tv for me until September.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Baseball season is just so damn long. I follow the scores, pay attention to the draft and trade deadline activity, but baseball doesn't become must see tv for me until September.

I guess I'm not that extreme (September). I'd say All Star Break. By then you're free and clear of the NBA Playoffs and Stanley Cup Playoffs, which, coincidentally, are also about the only time that both the NBA and NHL matter as well.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
# of Repeat World Series Champions past 10 years: 1, Boston Red Sox
# of teams that have never made the playoffs in that span: 5(Blue Jays, Orioles, Royals, Nationals/Expos, Pirates). Barring your team being one of the first two the issues aren't being unable to compete, it's that your franchise has been run terribly.

In comparison NFL repeat champs: 2, Patriots twice, Steelers
Missed playoffs: 3( Texans, Browns, Lions) this being despite the fact that it is much easier to make the playoffs in football due to there being 6 playoff berths per league compared to 4 in baseball.

okay, let's pretend revenue sharing doesn't matter. Yeah, small market teams can compete, once in a while. But how can you love a sport, when only 5 - 10 teams can afford a major star, and a few teams, buy the biggest stars. And when clubs with great scouting and farm teams (Royals) bring up these rising stars, they can't afford to keep them. That along with Roids, is killing the sport.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
okay, let's pretend revenue sharing doesn't matter. Yeah, small market teams can compete, once in a while. But how can you love a sport, when only 5 - 10 teams can afford a major star, and a few teams, buy the biggest stars. And when clubs with great scouting and farm teams (Royals) bring up these rising stars, they can't afford to keep them. That along with Roids, is killing the sport.

The guaranteed contracts, too. It's amazing how guys struggle until they're playing for the next contract.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
I'm disinterested every year... but that is just me. But Clones21, I'm glad you are finally seeing baseball for what it is, incredibly boring! I will admit, I do enjoy attending CR Kernels games, indulging in the consumption of alcohol, hanging with friends and chomping down brats, while not paying any attention to the actual game itself.