***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I wanted Tampa as well, but I understand the draw of Khyree Jackson, especially in a Flores defense. He's got rare size for a cornerback at 6'4. Very physical as well, and his 40 time was still right there with Tampa. I think they see him with more versatility than a lot of other prospects that were available at the time.

Who knows how it will play out. I hope both he and Tampa have excellent careers.
After a few minutes grousing, I realized that I wasn’t a highly paid talent evaluator with teams of data available, whose job depends on the choice (“wisdom” is the perk of getting old), and decided I’d just check back in two or three years to see how it turns out.

This is a first for me.

I hope they’re both successful.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was reading an article about JJ’s contract talks, and it referred to whatever the upcoming terms as “life changing money”.

That statement made me feel more that a little sick inside.

Because, y’know, the $39 million (or whatever it was) he’s already making just this season…isn’t?

This is the kind of attitude that makes me think my days as a sports fan may be limited.

Well, that and the greed and entitlement of some college athletes. I guess one feeds off the other.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was reading an article about JJ’s contract talks, and it referred to whatever the upcoming terms as “life changing money”.

Because, y’know, the $39 million (or whatever it was) he’s already making just this season…isn’t?

This is the kind of attitude that makes me think my days as a sports fan may be limited.

Well, that and the greed and entitlement of some college athletes. I guess one feeds off the other.
It's the athletes that you direct your disgust to?

Not the conferences that pushed for bigger and bigger TV contracts, and poached from their own ranks with no regard for stability or regional proximity.

Not the schools that spent millions upon millions of dollars on extravagant and opulent facilities.

Not the boosters who are more than willing to do whatever it takes to attract players to their school.

Not the coaches who demanded gargantuan salaries with embarrassingly large buy-outs their employers were willing to pay them to go away.

Not the playoff committee and bowl game reps who are only interested in the matchups that will make them the most money instead of the most deserving teams.

Not the billionaire pro owners who hold cities ransom to get taxpayers to build their stadiums.

None of that tipped you over the edge.

It's the "greed" of the athletes, the ones who are actually performing the sport that you love, that crossed the line for you. The athletes asking for just a little too big of a piece of the pie, that was the last straw for you.

Interesting take.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Not the conferences that pushed for bigger and bigger TV contracts, and poached from their own ranks with no regard for stability or regional proximity.

Not the schools that spent millions upon millions of dollars on extravagant and opulent facilities.

Not the boosters who are more than willing to do whatever it takes to attract players to their school.

Not the coaches who demanded gargantuan salaries with embarrassingly large buy-outs their employers were willing to pay them to go away.

Not the playoff committee and bowl game reps who are only interested in the matchups that will make them the most money instead of the most deserving teams.

Not the billionaire pro owners who hold cities ransom to get taxpayers to build their stadiums.

It's the "greed" of the athletes, the ones who are actually performing the sport that you love, that crossed the line for you. The athletes asking for just a little too big of a piece of the pie, that was the last straw for you.

Interesting take.
I don’t recall saying that was the only thing that upset me. Where did I even remotely imply that? Matter of fact, my initial response was to a mindset that now doesn’t consider $35 million “life changing”. It wasn’t the athlete who said that. Or didn’t you catch that?

You might want to work on that whole “reading comprehension” thing. Not only missed the obvious, but then insisted on reading WAY too much into it. :rolleyes:

Pick someone else to try to attack. You’re outta your league.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

I believe he's currently set to make just over $19M this year without the new deal.

I guess the life changing bit is the $100M guaranteed money he's expected to get with the new contract.

Don't disagree, if I got $19M this year, that would be life changing money. $100M (~$33M/yr) is what I would consider generational wealth.

If those $s upset you, don't look at NBA salaries. I heard the other day that the NBA isn't far away from a player getting $100M/year...and an average salary in the league being around $60M. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Aclone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Interesting take.
He never said anything even close to what you’re implying.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don’t recall saying that was the only thing that upset me. Where did I even remotely imply that? Matter of fact, my initial response was to a mindset that now doesn’t consider $35 million “life changing”. It wasn’t the athlete who said that. Or didn’t you catch that?

You might want to work on that whole “reading comprehension” thing. Not only missed the obvious, but then insisted on reading WAY too much into it. :rolleyes:

Pick someone else to try to attack. You’re outta your league.
"This is the kind of attitude that makes me think my days as a sports fan may be limited.
Well, that and the greed and entitlement of some college athletes. I guess one feeds off the other."

You're specifically targeting the athletes as your reason for your decline in interest in sports.

Again, greed and entitlement have existed up and down the ranks in the college game, for decades, but it hasn't been enough to make you lose interest in sports. Just the athletes wanting their cut, apparently.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
"This is the kind of attitude that makes me think my days as a sports fan may be limited.
Well, that and the greed and entitlement of some college athletes. I guess one feeds off the other."

You're specifically targeting the athletes as your reason for your decline in interest in sports.

Again, greed and entitlement have existed up and down the ranks in the college game, for decades, but it hasn't been enough to make you lose interest in sports. Just the athletes wanting their cut, apparently.
JJ saying more millions on top of his current millions is "life-changing money" does sound pretty tone deaf to a normal person. He's not exactly scraping by and hoping his next contract puts food on the table. That said, JJ is far from the first (extremely wealthy) person, athlete or otherwise, to say similar things.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
JJ saying more millions on top of his current millions is "life-changing money" does sound pretty tone deaf to a normal person. He's not exactly scraping by and hoping his next contract puts food on the table. That said, JJ is far from the first (extremely wealthy) person, athlete or otherwise, to say similar things.
JJ didn’t say that. It wasn’t a quote. The person who wrote the article did.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Some people are just hungrier than others. Don't hate the player, hate the game