Another Malaysia airlines crash?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Russia isn't going to give ****, this would be the third airliner they have shoot down (the other two being South Korean). They will stick with the story that the Kev govt did it, not their bobos in East Ukraine. The separatist probably wouldn't know who to operate the BUK system without Russian help or Ukrainian military defectors.

Well, the separatists are led by Ukraninan military defectors with help from Russia special forces.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I did not know this:
If the plane was shot down, it would be the fourth commercial airliner to face such a fate. The previous three were:
— April 20, 1978: Korean Airlines Flight 902, which diverted from its planned course on a flight from Paris to Seoul and strayed over the Soviet Union. After being fired upon by an interceptor aircraft, the crew made a forced landing at night on the surface of a frozen lake. Two of the 97 passengers were killed by the hostile fire.

— Sept. 1, 1983: Korean Air Lines Flight 007 shot down by at least one Soviet air-to-air missile after the 747 had strayed into Soviet airspace. All 240 passengers and 29 crew were killed.

— July 3, 1988: Iran Air Flight 655 Aircraft was shot down by a surface to air missile from the American naval vessel U.S.S. Vincennes. All 16 crew and 274 passengers were killed.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/malaysian-plane-shot-down-in-ukraine

It makes me think yet again that it a pure miracle that the Cold War didn't end up in WWIII

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Malaysia is going to end up having about the same access to this crash site as they do to the one for MH370. :sad:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So FAA tells American owned airlines avoid that air space, this is back in April of this year.
U.S. owned airlines avoid.

But you have the European owned airlines like Lufthansa and Air France still flying over, as was Malaysia Air.

I often say American owned airlines service cannot compete with their international counterparts, but you know what, when it comes to some areas of safety they are willing to **** off some passengers to do the right thing. If that means a 2 hour longer flight to avoid a potential disaster so beit.

Of course now everyone is avoiding that air space, I believe close the" barn door after the animals have left" applies here. Malaysia Airlines can kiss their existence good bye.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So FAA tells American owned airlines avoid that air space, this is back in April of this year.

But you have the European owned airlines like Lufthansa and Air France still flying over, as was Malaysia Air.

I often say American owned airlines service cannot compete with their international counterparts, but you know what, when it comes to some areas of safety they are willing to **** off some passengers to do the right thing. If that means a 2 hour longer flight to avoid a potential disaster so beit.

Of course now everyone is avoiding that air space, I believe close the" barn door after the animals have left" applies here. Malaysia Airlines can kiss their existence good bye.

Yeah I would think this would be the end of that airline.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah I would think this would be the end of that airline.

I hope it is the end for them,, I also think Air France. Lufthansa should also get sued for putting passengers at risk.
They were just the lucky ones. Hopefully they get called up before their local governments and get asked WTF?

I know when I fly I accept these 3 things, Weather, Mechanical and Pilot Error as risks to my life because often these things cannot be always anticipated no matter what procedures are in place. But you hope good common sense, decisions are made in dealing with each.

But this is a risk everyone was aware of that could have been avoided by simply using a different flight plan, they are either too greedy or too stupid to ignore it. Not sure which.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Did their respective governments tell them to avoid this air space?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So I don't know much about military hardware, but I feel like you need something pretty sophisticated to shoot a plane down from 5 or 6 miles in the air.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
So I don't know much about military hardware, but I feel like you need something pretty sophisticated to shoot a plane down from 5 or 6 miles in the air.

I don't know much about surface to air missile specs, but I thought I read they were at 10,000 feet?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

The were discussing this on the news over my lunch. Apparently these Russian missiles are very sophisticated. The launch mechanism has 2 radar systems for tracking targets and the missile itself has an onboard radar for tracking it's target. The former US General they had on said they would have absolutely no trouble using these to take down a commercial airliner. In fact he said that had they mistakenly fired one of these missiles there is a self destruct mechanism in place and all they had to do was push the button and the missile would self destruct in flight.

This General said without hesitation that we will find out in several days that this was in fact a missile strike by the Russians that took down this plane.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I don't know much about surface to air missile specs, but I thought I read they were at 10,000 feet?

The reports I saw were cruising at 31K.

When watching the broadcast, the suspicion changes from the SA11 to the SA17 - which has a ceiling over 70000 feet. Probably not too hard a task for one of these missile batteries.