Andie Malloy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
IMO she did NOT leave to be closer to home. Unfortunate situation. I understand that CJL would not give her a release. I believe that Andie is well liked and respected in Tx. vb circles. Refusing to grant a release could have a negative impact on future ISU recruiting in Tx. Good luck this season.

well if she wanted to play at another Big 12 school (like Baylor, from the sound of it)........she can't have expected to play this year. I truly don't think it will hurt ISU's recruiting at all. I think leaving the week before practice starts is more a reflection on the athlete than the school, and I don't mean that to sound rude to Andie, as I understand that you are related. I wish her the best.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
IMO she did NOT leave to be closer to home. Unfortunate situation. I understand that CJL would not give her a release. I believe that Andie is well liked and respected in Tx. vb circles. Refusing to grant a release could have a negative impact on future ISU recruiting in Tx. Good luck this season.

Don't talk to me about negative impact. Your granddaughter doesn't understand the meaning of commitment, and ISU is under no obligation to grant her a release. And given the situation (dumping her team a week before the season begins), why should ISU do anything for her?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Don't talk to me about negative impact. Your granddaughter doesn't understand the meaning of commitment, and ISU is under no obligation to grant her a release. And given the situation (dumping her team a week before the season begins), why should ISU do anything for her?

And this is how things work with other schools too: you want to leave, fine, but you can't play for competitors.
I don't see any negative impact if CJL doesn't fully release her.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Well, Red, I think she should sit out a year if she plays for UT. Decisions have consequences.

redcowboy

Nov 20, 2011
I have no desire for this thread to become contentious so I will make the following statement and then move on.
If you read my first post you will note that I stated that IMO she left NOT because of wanting to be closer to her family and implied there were other reasons.
I suspect a very recent event or continuation of events prompted this decision.
Regarding a release to transfer- I am quite aware that some schools are very aggressive in their stance while others are more gracious and realize that many times the move is in the best interest of the student athlete. I am aware of a number of student-athletes in your conference that have transferred with no problem. Because of time limitations I doubt if she planned on playing this year anyway. I am not fully aware of all the transfer regs but have the opinion that the primary difference in her case would be one of being able to redshirt a year vs. losing a year of eligibility.
Although the timing was very poor for both parties it is what it is.
Hope your vball team does well this year. I am sure that at some point in the future you will see Andie on the other side of the net. GLTA

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
I have no desire for this thread to become contentious so I will make the following statement and then move on.
If you read my first post you will note that I stated that IMO she left NOT because of wanting to be closer to her family and implied there were other reasons.
Regarding a release to transfer- I am quite aware that some schools are very aggressive in their stance while others are more gracious and realize that many times the move is in the best interest of the student athlete. I am aware of a number of student-athletes in your conference that have transferred with no problem. Because of time limitations I doubt if she planned on playing this year anyway. I am not fully aware of all the transfer regs but have the opinion that the primary difference in her case would be one of being able to redshirt a year vs. losing a year of eligibility.
Hope your vball team does well this year. I am sure that at some point in the future you will see Andie on the other side of the net. GLTA

you seem to know something and imply she may be playing for a familiar foe. I wish any college kid well but to imply there was an event that made her do this perhaos reflects poorly on Iowa state which has zero history of such events. Bottom line she is no longer on the team and Iowa State vollleyball surely has moved on as well.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah CJL has a 98% retention rate...she must be doing something right.

Bizzare timing but if she wasn't happy here then find somewhere that's better for her.

ISU will be fine...I hope Andie is as well.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
you seem to know something and imply she may be playing for a familiar foe. I wish any college kid well but to imply there was an event that made her do this perhaos reflects poorly on Iowa state which has zero history of such events. Bottom line she is no longer on the team and Iowa State vollleyball surely has moved on as well.

We know some familiar Baptists...

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I understand your desire to defend Andie, but pretending or implying that her choosing to abandon her teammates at the beginning of the season is anything other than HER choice is just wrong. She quit on her team, apparently to go play for a conference foe, and must accept the consequences of that, including losing a season of eligibility. That's her choice. She could have played out this year and potentially left on good terms, but she did not chose to do that.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
Expecting a school to let a great player transfer to a rival with no consequences is laughable. Why don't we just let the best players at each school go to the blue bloods after they develop someplace else?

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
As far as I'm concerned, if she doesn't want to be here, we don't want her here. The timing is really upsetting - if this was brewing, waiting to announce until a few weeks prior to the season is crap. If something arose that just caused it, fine. Regardless of the cause or reasoning, players transferring must bear the consequences.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I assume CJL will be asked about this at tomorrow's media day, and maybe shed some light on it.

She might get asked but I won't expect her to shed any light on this. Can't recall many similar situations where a coach was candid about this unless the transfer was really talking it up and throwing the program or coach under the bus. Expect the classic transfer cliches which are probably all better than "she hated her teammates, she had a big fight with teammate x, she decided she hated me as coach, assistant x yelled at her and she quit, etc".

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
She might get asked but I won't expect her to shed any light on this. Can't recall many similar situations where a coach was candid about this unless the transfer was really talking it up and throwing the program or coach under the bus. Expect the classic transfer cliches which are probably all better than "she hated her teammates, she had a big fight with teammate x, she decided she hated me as coach, assistant x yelled at her and she quit, etc".

or was mad she wasn't getting enough playing time, because her hitting percentage/shot decision making was poor and wasn't working on what she had been asked to....and saw that she wasn't going to be a starter.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
or was mad she wasn't getting enough playing time, because her hitting percentage/shot decision making was poor and wasn't working on what she had been asked to....and saw that she wasn't going to be a starter.

That's an interesting take on the situation...

She was playing for a frigging USA junior national team in Europe this summer. How could she not be getting better training this summer than the rest of the girls? It's time to dish your inside info, twisty bird.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
not my perspective at all, I'm just speculating like everyone else. Playing time is often an issue, and reviewing her stats, one could speculate that.

I would venture a guess that the 6-2 experiment not going well played into it. It's quite possible Andie prefers to set and was hoping that we'd go to a 6-2 this year.