Andie Malloy

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
B12 better not reinstate the year. If the coach of the B12 school doesn't think it should happen, I'd hope the other B12 teams respect that and don't give the year back. They need to remember - one of their players could jump ship a few weeks before the season starts and the shoe could be on the other foot. Go out of conference or down a league if you don't want to lose the year AND sit. She didn't have to go to Baylor.

It all depends on how the conference views the situation. When Katie Robinette transferred from Nebraska to Iowa State, she lost the year, and ISU lost when they petitioned the Big 12 to get the year back.

Meanwhile around the same time frame, Tiffany Brooks transferred from Kansas State to Missouri, and the Big 12 granted her petition and she didn't lose a year because she claimed to the effect of a hostile situation at KSU.

It all comes down to what Ms. Malloy says about her departure from Iowa State, and how Iowa State defends it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2005-05-25-iastate-robinette_x.htm

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
It all depends on how the conference views the situation. When Katie Robinette transferred from Nebraska to Iowa State, she lost the year, and ISU lost when they petitioned the Big 12 to get the year back.

Meanwhile around the same time frame, Tiffany Brooks transferred from Kansas State to Missouri, and the Big 12 granted her petition and she didn't lose a year because she claimed to the effect of a hostile situation at KSU.

It all comes down to what Ms. Malloy says about her departure from Iowa State, and how Iowa State defends it.

USATODAY.com - Big 12 denies Iowa State's Robinette an extra year

Based on comments in social media, she said she "couldn't be happier" and was so grateful for all the friends and opportunities brought her way by Iowa State. This was in May. So something changed recently or she's going to have to fabricate a story about how awful Ames is, and that just wouldn't be very "Christian" (sorry, that's just too easy). Anyway, I'll be shocked if they allow the extra season. Being "homesick" just won't cut it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'd prefer they didn't give the extra season because rules are rules. However, if we're being honest, it's not like it really matters. She went to Baylor, not Texas. Unless there's a miracle on Baylor's side in the next couple years, or a disaster on ours, it's not like Baylor is a team ISU has to worry about.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It means they needed hitting help and they must have contacted her Dad to recruit.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Baylor now has her listed on their roster - at three different positions too. Don't know what this means, though. Official Women's Volleyball Roster - Baylor Bears Official Athletic Site - BaylorBears.com

yeah, saw that come up on VT - not sure if that means she's playing this year or not.......can you still list someone who is enrolled and practicing but not playing? The way you list a redshirt? Would be annoying if the rules somehow didn't apply and they get to play her right away. We all know if the situation were reversed, ISU would not only have to sit them out for a year, we'd probably also lose two scholarships and get a $25,000 fine from the NCAA :rolleyes:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Ames Tribune reported the transfer, and she will sit out this year, with two years of eligibility after that. In other words she was not released from her scholarship, so conference transfer rules prevail. Hope it was worth it to her.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Baylor Press Release said:
That led her to Baylor's doorstep last Monday, Aug. 26, when she enrolled for classes - without a scholarship - and then joined the volleyball program. Without a release from Iowa State, Malloy has to sit out this season and wasn't even able to contact the Baylor coaches until after her first day of classes.

...right.

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
Thanks. It's easy for CJL to say that when the decision is not hers :rolleyes:.
It does not mention the Big 12 appeal for her year of eligibility. Regardless, I think we've moved on!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
My main takeaway from that article is that our ISU volleyball players weren't holy enough for Andie to hang out with. And for that, I say Thank God!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My main takeaway from that article is that our ISU volleyball players weren't holy enough for Andie to hang out with. And for that, I say Thank God!

I actually doubt that. Several of the team members have been very open about their religion - including Rachel helping out at that Christian Volleyball camp last summer. So I don't think it was any snort of aloofness on Andie's part. However, classes and the general college environment would be very different - especially if she is Baptist, didn't see a lot of that around campus. If she were a freshman student (do the athletes live in dorms fresh year?) not wanting to go out drinking (or being around drinking) or partying, I can very well see that she would have had a rough time fitting in. Her faith is obviously incredibly important to her, so I hope she finds the environment she's looking for at Baylor.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
FYI - she was very well liked by our players, hung out with them, wasn't an "outsider" at all.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Volleyball is definitely one of my passions, but my No. 1 priority is God. I want to increase my relationship with Him and also be surrounded by girls that have the same morals and values that I do. And this group of girls is incredible.

-Andie Malloy, talking about the Baylor volleyball team

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
That's fine, but when you throw your ex-teammates under the bus, you have to wonder just how two-faced Andie Malloy might have been?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
she hardly threw them under the bus.
" [about ISU] That experience was great. I wouldn't change it for the world," Malloy said. "It's got me to where I am today, and I have nothing but good things to say about the coaches and the team there. . . . It was definitely a learning experience for me. And I realized that I'm a Texas girl. I've got to be close to home."

She was homesick and wanted a different environment than what she had at ISU. Again, I don't think there is a large Baptist contingency at ISU, so that was probably hard on her to not have something that is a huge part of her life easily available. That + severe homesickness = bad times.

Calling a 19 yr old girl two-faced for a decision that will hopefully make her much happier isn't necessary, imo.

Besides, out of this we've gotten to watch some great volleyball out of Capezio.........maybe that's just how it was all meant to work out!:smile: