ANALYSIS: My thoughts on the new opening at OC

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This is potentially biggest season coming up in history of Isu fball..

I’m not so sure I’m all on board with handing offense to AG who has never called play in his life and is more of a recruiter and people person than one who dissects defenses on the fly and runs an offense.

Maybe I’m way off base here but given what this program is about to become and the extra $$ now available you can’t tell me there isn’t a pretty decent pool of young really good coaches ready to take over this offense

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
So does this mean we'll finally throw to the TE if Golesh gets the OC gig? Seems iffy.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ISUKyro

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Enjoy.

ANALYSIS: With Tom Manning heading to the NFL, what’s next for Iowa State with spring ball starting in a few weeks? Some insight here.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2018/02/williams-with-tom-manning-gone-whats-next-for-isu/

Bummer. I really liked Tom Manning. And he was such a good fit under Matt Campbell. Seems like next year would have been a season that Manning would have really enjoyed.

P.S. Manning wasn't at the CF Recruitment Party, presumably because his wife just had a baby, but now we know the true story.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I like the idea of Campbell taking on play calling role. This is per FootballScoop.com

Iowa State: With Tom Manning heading to the Colts, source tells FootballScoop Iowa State is expecting to promote offensive grad assistant Jeff Myers to offensive line coach. We expect Matt Campbell to call the offense.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ

I’m not so sure I’m all on board with handing offense to AG who has never called play in his life and is more of a recruiter and people person than one who dissects defenses on the fly and runs an offense.

Maybe I’m way off base here but given what this program is about to become and the extra $$ now available you can’t tell me there isn’t a pretty decent pool of young really good coaches ready to take over this offense

Meyers would take over the OL, not OC.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would like to see a seasoned OL coach with as many young guys as ISU has on that unit. I'm sure the grad transfer is a good guy and all, but the OL was a weak link last year, and with all the skill players coming back, it really needs to improve this season.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Pretty sure that will be on the defensive side.
I wouldn't make that assumption. It's possible they would bring in a 5th defensive assistant and either split the line into tackle and end position groups or bring in someone to coach safeties and take that off Heacock's plate. But I think the current group of defensive assistants is comfortable and performing well with their assignments so they might opt not to change things. Plus two offensive assistants have additional responsibilites, Gasser with special teams and Golesh as recruiting coordinator. I think the plan before the staff turnover was to have a dedicated special teams coach/coordinator going forward. If Myers is in fact the new o-line coach, all of the position groups from last season would be filled so they have a lot of flexibility with what to do with the last spot and how they shift the staff.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

We've seen it isn't really Campbell's style to bring in an outsider, especially for a big role like OC.
Many were hoping for big names as assistants when MC was hired, and some, including myself, were sceptical when he brought "his" guys instead. However, he's shown, at least so far, that he knows what he's doing. So I wouldn't expect a big outside hire.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
My two cents, based on what I've heard and my speculation. Its likely to go one of two ways. Either, some combination of Golesh and Campbell will be the primary play caller/s next season with Golesh having either the title of offensive coordinator or running game coordinator. Or as the 10th assistant they are able to bring in someone with play calling experience like Brian Wright (not saying it will be him, but someone like him with the experience and that the staff feels comfortable with).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My two cents, based on what I've heard and my speculation. Its likely to go one of two ways. Either, some combination of Golesh and Campbell will be the primary play caller/s next season with Golesh having either the title of offensive coordinator or running game coordinator. Or as the 10th assistant they are able to bring in someone with play calling experience like Brian Wright (not saying it will be him, but someone like him with the experience and that the staff feels comfortable with).

Golesh is a high capacity guy who is really trusted by Campbell, particularly with recruiting. However, it seems that they are leaning toward Myers for the actual position.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Golesh is a high capacity guy who is really trusted by Campbell, particularly with recruiting. However, it seems that they are leaning toward Myers for the actual position.
Myers is being considered for the OL Coach portion of the OC/OL opening Manning left, not OC or both roles if I'm reading all these reports/updates correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Help Support Us

Become a patron