5Dimes Line on SDSU @ Iowa State

bauerzac

Aug 2, 2006
I was looking through a few websites this afternoon for some early lines on Week One CFB. Saw that we are only favored by eight points over SDSU. I didn't think that we would be 21 point favorites but to find out that we are favored by just over a touchdown doesn't speak too well of what the "experts" think about our squad. I hope they are wrong.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I didn't think most odds makers even came up with a line on FBS vs. FCS or has that changed since Appalachian St. upended Michigan?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Sounds about right to me. I still say that this game will be closer than we would like.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
That line will obviously move prior to the game but I don't see us getting much more than 9-11 points.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
That's a little lower than I was thinking, but I would have been shocked if it would have been higher than 121/2. Our quarterback situation is a big question mark for everyone outside of the Cyclone family.

Reactions: bos

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I never thought we would lose to Kent State last year....but we did....by 9....then to UNI by 11.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ahhh, losing to UNI by double figures...good times. Especially after what should have been a loss to them the previous season.

Non-conference '06 and '07 - games I wish could be erased from memory.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
Ahhh, losing to UNI by double figures...good times. Especially after what should have been a loss to them the previous season.

Non-conference '06 and '07 - games I wish could be erased from memory.

I think coach Chizik and the boys are gonna try & do something about that for you this year.:wink: (At least by giving you newer, better memories. I don't think they could erase those games from your C drive without doing some permanent damage.)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think coach Chizik and the boys are gonna try & do something about that for you this year.:wink: (At least by giving you newer, better memories. I don't think they could erase those games from your C drive without doing some permanent damage.)

Oh I dont doubt that they will make me smile several times this year and last year will dissipate. However 1st few games will be shakey while they find a groove.

Reactions: brianhos

bauerzac

Aug 2, 2006
I guess my issue is that so many people on this board have been discussing the possibility of 5-7 or 6-6. In looking at the conference season I find it very difficult to find more than three wins. The nature of our schedule is that most of the winnable games are on the road; which is always difficult in the Big 12. We cannot afford to lose to SDSU or Kent State or UNLV if we want to achieve that 5-7 or 6-6 record. My major issue is that a team that has aspirations of a bowl game should not have issues with a mid-level I-AA or FSC teams. UNI was a terrific team last year; SDSU is nowhere near them in talent.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
In looking at the conference season I find it very difficult to find more than three wins. The nature of our schedule is that most of the winnable games are on the road; which is always difficult in the Big 12. .

No so fast my friend...

The worst Big XII team we play comes to Ames on October the 18th.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I didn't think most odds makers even came up with a line on FBS vs. FCS or has that changed since Appalachian St. upended Michigan?

Some of the not so big companies have posted lines in the past, but normally bodog and the other big wigs don't post them.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
The worst Big XII team we play comes to Ames on October the 18th.

(Takes gulp from Kool-Aid) We could, potentially, start off the Big XII season 3-1. We could beat Baylor, KnU, and aTm. Each of these schools have first-year coaches IIRC. We all remember how tough the beginning of the first year can be.

3-1 non-conference + 3-1 to start in Big XII = 6 - 2.

Surely there must be a law somewhere that this cannot happen.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Don't forget these early lines are created to help you along in placing a bet. The fact that the line is 8 just says they hope Iowa State fans think that is crazy and bet and the same amount of SDSU fans think they have a change to get within a touchdown and bet.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
(Takes gulp from Kool-Aid) We could, potentially, start off the Big XII season 3-1. We could beat Baylor, KnU, and aTm. Each of these schools have first-year coaches IIRC. We all remember how tough the beginning of the first year can be.

3-1 non-conference + 3-1 to start in Big XII = 6 - 2.

Surely there must be a law somewhere that this cannot happen.

Your equation is missing the "Cyclone" variable, which states that all chances of success must be divided at least in half due to innate long-term suckitude.

Reactions: cycloneML

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
It would be nice if they did have a line for the game, but I dont think most oddmakers will have a bet on it at all. If they do, they might be a little shady.