5* Culture and 5* players

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
Sometimes having 5 star players results in 5 star problems too. Don't get me wrong I would love to start landing more 4 and 5 star recruits with our success but just ask Iowa how that turned out for them not long ago when Kirk had that program at it's peak. Some of these guys have huge egos and off-field problems to manage too. I'll gladly take 3 star guys that this staff can develop into All American caliber players than guys that sometimes come in with baggage and can be cancer in the locker room.

I look at this current roster and see how this staff saw something in guys like Purdy, Hall, Rose, and Kolar that a lot of other big name schools did not and turned them into the best players at their position in the Big 12 and in the conversation as one of the best at their position nationally. These are the kind of players you want to build a program around who fit Campbell's system both on and off the field and I will gladly take guys that want to get after it and earn every snap they are on the field and perform at a high level than some hyped up recruit that doesn't put in the work those guys will.

Looking at this roster Easton Dean and DeShawn Hanika are 2 guys at TE that don't have impressive offer lists but have the potential to be the next big impact player at TE that plays with a chip on their shoulder like Kolar. Tyler Moore is another TE in the 2021 class that fits this mold too. One thing this staff has done well since they hit the ground running with recruiting the day they were hired are finding guys that they believed in and fit the system. They have built depth in the trenches which is something we always had a problem wit
Sometimes having 5 star players results in 5 star problems too. Don't get me wrong I would love to start landing more 4 and 5 star recruits with our success but just ask Iowa how that turned out for them not long ago when Kirk had that program at it's peak. Some of these guys have huge egos and off-field problems to manage too. I'll gladly take 3 star guys that this staff can develop into All American caliber players than guys that sometimes come in with baggage and can be cancer in the locker room.

I look at this current roster and see how this staff saw something in guys like Purdy, Hall, Rose, and Kolar that a lot of other big name schools did not and turned them into the best players at their position in the Big 12 and in the conversation as one of the best at their position nationally. These are the kind of players you want to build a program around who fit Campbell's system both on and off the field and I will gladly take guys that want to get after it and earn every snap they are on the field and perform at a high level than some hyped up recruit that doesn't put in the work those guys will.

Looking at this roster Easton Dean and DeShawn Hanika are 2 guys at TE that don't have impressive offer lists but have the potential to be the next big impact player at TE that plays with a chip on their shoulder like Kolar. Tyler Moore is another TE in the 2021 class that fits this mold too. One thing this staff has done well since they hit the ground running with recruiting the day they were hired are finding guys that they believed in and fit the system. They have built depth in the trenches which is something we always had a problem with too.

I will take results over rankings and this senior class was ranked 55th nationally and 8th in the Big 12 back in 2016 and if you look at the guys they signed they didn't miss on a lot of guys: https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Season/2016-Football/Commits/
GREAT comments!! Ditto on all you've stated here!! Trust the Process!!

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
What we really need is to sway 4 star OL recruits from Iowa. Seems like we always get the short end of the stick on home grown talent in the trenches because Iowa has become such a factory for those guys.

That Xavier kid from Des Moines that’s a 4.5 star safety. That’s what I’m talking about. Guys like that should feel encouraged to stay in state.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What we really need is to sway 4 star OL recruits from Iowa. Seems like we always get the short end of the stick on home grown talent in the trenches because Iowa has become such a factory for those guys.

That Xavier kid from Des Moines that’s a 4.5 star safety. That’s what I’m talking about. Guys like that should feel encouraged to stay in state.
Would you like me to show you a list of all the OL kids from Iowa who went to IC and haven’t panned out? For every Tristen Wirfs, there are several guys like Tyler Endres and Ezra Miller

Tyler Maro isn’t a four star—but that’s more a matter of exposure. He’s certainly long and athletic enough.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
The Big 12 does well. 1st team conference Offensive linemen not being drafted is a little unusual.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The Big 12 does well. 1st team conference Offensive linemen not being drafted is a little unusual.
Besides your "Haliburton won't make it in the NBA" takes these are some of my favorite:

The sooner ! OU goes to the SEC, the better.

Then we can plead to join the Big 10 again.
Big 12 defenses are poor, at best. The O-Line isn't given much priority because it doesn't have to be very good. Just pass-block for 2 seconds.
We will be fine. We play in the Big 12.
I would love to see ND join the Big 10 !!!!! No more easy schedules.

I wouldn't be so quick to say the Great Plains is not a power conference. How would ISU do against NDSU every year ?
I agree that the Big 12 style of play does not lend itself to playing pro ball.

Like not having to block or tackle. "Keep that Social Distancing, Defense".
Wait now. Hold your horses about the OL..
JG-J was FIRST TEAM ALL BIG 12. We lost A LOT.

Oh, wait. All the Big 12 O-Lines suck? Or they are just good enough to handle the Big 12 defenses that don't exist ? Why recruit a good offensive line if you don't need it?
It is a good idea to prepare for Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12.

Get as many Big 10 teams as you can, cuz that's where the money is.
Oh, now 2021 is "the year" ?

Oh well. Do what you have to do.

Thank God we play in the Big 12.
We play in the Big 12.

"What is Brock Purdy doing?". Reading his press clippings - thinking he is Russell Wilson.

We play in the Big 12.

8 defensive backs, and we give up touchdowns down the middle on passes with no one near?

We play in the Big 12.

Seriously, i know we have to promote Brock to attract good players, but Coach IS telling him when he sucks, right?

Thank God we have Breece. Without him, disaster.
The defense will be fine until the bowl game.
We won't need a good OLine until the bowl game.
Bring in another Johnny. Win 52% of games.

Build a statue.

Why isn't 52% good enough anymore?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
clonehoodie 12 year old hawk fan?
That is close........he is actually 42, 10th grade education, has no clue what other big10 fans think of him/fan base and the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. Pretty normal for their base.

Reactions: aauummm

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
No thanks. Not a fan of Alabama’s arrogance and sense of entitlement.
I won't say Alabama who, but... Entitlement and arrogance yes, but as 'bama fans you come to expect the results, even when overlooking some of the free passes they might get. We might be the same way if in their position?

I don't mind being the underdog and am thrilled with our success under CMC. We will never be Alabama and I suppose that is a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

You never know what a kid wants though. Some in state kids would love to get out of the state for college if they had the chance. Some kids have always dreamed of playing for an instate school. Just depends.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
You never know what a kid wants though. Some in state kids would love to get out of the state for college if they had the chance. Some kids have always dreamed of playing for an instate school. Just depends.
There’s exceptions sure. I’m speaking to the general average of players though.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Recruiting will be decided case by case with a major factor always being the "FIT". We all should step back and remember the QB we brought in who was not even close to a good fit. I think even CMC and staff learned from that one. Four and five stars would be great, ONLY if the staff is convinced they can buy into team first.

Last edited:

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Bottom line is that I trust CMC and this staff. The players he signs, those are our guys and that’s our team, and that’s who is going to keep this train rolling.

Would higher stars be nice...maybe. However, as a fan, I’ll take NY6 wins and possible playoffs next year with the team we have. I think we can expect gradual improvement in recruiting if the wins keep coming, but for now- CMC needs to keep doing what he’s doing and I back his recruiting picks 110%.

It’s a great day to be a Cyclone.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Isn’t Deckers a 4* QB? I think him and Bouman both were two of the highest graded QB’s we’ve gotten, and both were the same class.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am concerned about recruiting. Our class is 52. That is not good. Our hope is Campbell has guys that fit with want he wants to do. It is just that in general, schools that recruit that low do not sustain success.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Next years class will be top 25. Coming off of a great 3 year run, ny6 win, lots of good pub. I also expect that we start sweeping the state for talent. Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Nebraska are a tier or two below our program and profile right now so that will help as well.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Halincandenza