Terrence Lewis transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I’m ok if we keep Prohm or let him go, I think at minimum he needs to make some huge changes. Overhaul the staff, change his approach, implement a new system geared towards his players... something. This whole good one season bad the next isn’t ideal. With his track record we are due for another good one, but we need to stay good. No more historically bad.

Who is going to want to jump on a sinking ship?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Shallow metric.

McD played 16 games in conference. Prohm plays 18.

The Big 12 used to have a lot of junk, hopeless programs at the bottom. No longer.

McD never played an OOC schedule like the one we just played, too.

Put the best McD team on the court versus the 2018 or the 2020 Prohm teams, and I bet the set of them are all pretty evenly matched with one another.
Lol, what? The Big 12 was exactly that this year. The Big 12 was worse this year than any other year I’ve ever seen.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Not even close

Again, McDermott beat 1 RANKED TEAM in whatever the 6 years he was here.

Honestly you can gripe that you don't have Big 12 players, but then you can't be pissed when those non-big 12 players leave. I'm willing to give the guy one more recruiting cycle, but Grill got plenty of opportunities and couldnt shoot. Griffen and Lewis never could get it together. Willing to take a chance on a new crop for next year but with a short leash.
I think McDermotts overall win total in Ames looks a little different if he inherited the team Prohm did.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Don't make me relate some of the McD years in the same way. You will not like it.

Plus, McD had one win against a ranked opponent his entire tenure in Ames.

Even this goat rodeo of a team still beat a very solid Seton Hall team.
What’s it really matter when you lose to sub 300 ranked teams and finish with 12 wins?

• Informative
Reactions: CloneIce

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
ISU only beat SH because they lost their 2nd best player....ISU lost to the worst team in the Big 12. Huh?

I guess ISU did lose their 2nd best player for the KSU game

I realize Hali was there for the Iowa game and KU at home but I can’t help but think everyone’s perception of where things stand would be a ton better if he’d not have gotten injured. No FAMU loss, 3 more wins in Big 12, no blowout loss to OU or Tech.

Anyone watching replays of last year’s Big 12 tourney? Really makes me miss TH already.

Last year’s team was so talented. Tally would have played 40 minutes a game this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lol, what? The Big 12 was exactly that this year. The Big 12 was worse this year than any other year I’ve ever seen.

How long have you been watching the conference?

upload_2020-3-19_22-46-21.png

#4 in the history of the conference -- still looks pretty good to me.

It is down a little from the apex of the Big 12 -- the year Frank Mason III won NPOTY -- but there were still plenty of sharks in dangerous waters out there.

Kansas and Baylor were legitimate national title contenders and would have been #1 seeds. Having two super-teams around like that sure helps make your conference strong, doesn't it? WVU, Oklahoma, and TTU were all lock tournament teams, and the three of them are still coached by three of the most respected coaches in the country. Probably one of Texas and Oklahoma State would have been in (or at least in Dayton).

That is five for sure and two bubble teams.

You seem to forget, too, that the Big 12 used to have some utterly hopeless programs wallowing around, like Nebraska, Texas A&M at times, Baylor before Drew caught fire, and Texas Tech before Beard. We were not a *good* basketball team last year, but even then we beat a roughly ~#3 seed Seton Hall and had Tyrese Haliburton on the team, who could threaten just about anybody by himself on a very good night.

I doubt the #12 or even the #10 team in the Big 12 during the McD years would have had much of a chance against what we rolled out this year.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
McD had a lot fewer chances.

...which makes my point that you cannot compare win totals from that era to this era on an apples-to-apples basis. We play more conference games and a few more competitive OOC games per season now than we did in 2008.

McD snacked on more cupcakes and was still bad.

Same wins then and same wins now... means the modern team is better, relatively speaking, for doing it against a more challenging schedule.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
...which makes my point that you cannot compare win totals from that era to this era on an apples-to-apples basis. We play more conference games and a few more competitive OOC games per season now than we did in 2008.

McD snacked on more cupcakes and was still bad.

Same wins then and same wins now... means the modern team is better, relatively speaking, for doing it against a more challenging schedule.

But it also varies even within the prohm era.

This year was one of the softest years for the big 12 yet it was one of prohm's worst. Prohm got a lot of his top 25 wins with hoiberg's players.

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneErik

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
ISU only beat SH because they lost their 2nd best player....ISU lost to the worst team in the Big 12. Huh?

I guess ISU did lose their 2nd best player for the KSU game

I realize Hali was there for the Iowa game and KU at home but I can’t help but think everyone’s perception of where things stand would be a ton better if he’d not have gotten injured. No FAMU loss, 3 more wins in Big 12, no blowout loss to OU or Tech.

Anyone watching replays of last year’s Big 12 tourney? Really makes me miss TH already.

Last year’s team was so talented. Tally would have played 40 minutes a game this year.
3 more Big 12 wins if we had Haliburton? That’s really bold considering our losses without him were by 29, 20, 30, 12, 6, and 16.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think that Coach Prohm is a great person and good recruiter but just like Greg McDermott he may not be cut out to run a Big 12 program. Both guys landed some great recruits while at ISU but both failed to take the program to the next level that they were hired to do. It doesn't mean both guys are bad coaches it just means they are better fits in another situation.

The only way I see Prohm keeping his job past next season is to add some stud JUCO and grad transfer recruits to this roster that puts them in the top half of the conference and in the NCAA tournament. Anything less than some kind of postseason bid next season and he will be fired.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: CloneIce and isu83

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
How long have you been watching the conference?

View attachment 70795

#4 in the history of the conference -- still looks pretty good to me.

It is down a little from the apex of the Big 12 -- the year Frank Mason III won NPOTY -- but there were still plenty of sharks in dangerous waters out there.

Kansas and Baylor were legitimate national title contenders and would have been #1 seeds. Having two super-teams around like that sure helps make your conference strong, doesn't it? WVU, Oklahoma, and TTU were all lock tournament teams, and the three of them are still coached by three of the most respected coaches in the country. Probably one of Texas and Oklahoma State would have been in (or at least in Dayton).

That five for sure and two bubble teams.

You seem to forget, too, that the Big 12 used to have some utterly hopeless programs wallowing around, like Nebraska, Texas A&M at times, Baylor before Drew caught fire, and Texas Tech before Beard. We were not a *good* basketball team last year, but even then we beat a roughly ~#3 seed Seton Hall and had Tyrese Haliburton on the team, who could threaten just about anybody by himself on a very good night.

I doubt the #12 or even the #10 team in the Big 12 during the McD years would have had much of a chance against what we rolled out this year.
Been watching since 2002. Us, KSU, TCU, Texas, and OSU were total trash. That made up almost half our schedule.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I know it’s bold but I see it. Bolton and Jackson were finally shooting consistently well from 3. Solo was solid and TH could have fed him even more, plus TH defensive presence. It’s all conjecture but I don’t see it as far fetched.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
But it also varies even within the prohm era.

This year was one of the softest years for the big 12 yet it was one of prohm's worst. Prohm got a lot of his top 25 wins with hoiberg's players.

He's had ten top 25 wins post Hoiberg players.