4-23-20 Big Board Update: Adding two names for Iowa State

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Without social distancing, the virus would run amok along a DD curve. Hopefully with the measures we’re taking we can flatten it to an A curve

We had a professor label a curve as "DD" (for derived demand) one time.

We all had a good chuckle about that.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't get just need the "warm body" mindset. If the coach doesn't believe the player is a good option he won't play them. We saw that last year with Zion and Terrence being leaped for playing time by freshman.
If Prohm doesn't think a player will fit his system/vision it is better for both parties to not commit to one another. There are 800+ transfers on the market with more being added daily, I am not worries about running out of options.

I mean, the “warm body” would at least be better than a walk on, and we kind of need guys for practice and depth.

Obviously it’s less than ideal, and I don’t think we are at that stage yet.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don't get just need the "warm body" mindset. If the coach doesn't believe the player is a good option he won't play them. We saw that last year with Zion and Terrence being leaped for playing time by freshman.
If Prohm doesn't think a player will fit his system/vision it is better for both parties to not commit to one another. There are 800+ transfers on the market with more being added daily, I am not worries about running out of options.
I believe the thought is, Prohm isn’t likely going to land anyone good, and those odds get lower as time goes on. So, in their view, Buggs or whoever we can get now is likely to be better than what we get later, even if they’re in the “warm body” category.

I don’t agree, as I think “landing” guys is more random than it is supply/demand dynamics, but given Prohm’s track record and the negative recruiting teams can use right now, it’s a reasonable take.

I also don’t see these guys as warm bodies. These guards all have significantly more transferable attributes than a guy like Beverly. And Beverly/Holden etc were “takes” that didn’t work out, but there’s not a recruit type that doesn’t have misses.

Reactions: Lyon309Cy

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I guess I don't see the whole "getting them on campus" thing for basketball. I can't imagine "mature trees" is real high on a transfers priority list. You look at some of the top basketball programs in the country-- Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State-- not exactly beautiful campuses.

You can tell someone has never been to Durham or Lexington.

Although I'd like to, I've never visited either. However, in response to clonefan32, these 3 programs don't need to market their campuses.

isu83

May 5, 2010
I guess I don't see the whole "getting them on campus" thing for basketball. I can't imagine "mature trees" is real high on a transfers priority list. You look at some of the top basketball programs in the country-- Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State-- not exactly beautiful campuses.
Serious?

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I laugh when people say getting them on campus doesn’t help.

Agree - wonder if any of the ones saying this would move across country for a job to a city and company that they had never visited in person. Let alone not meeting any of their future coworkers in person.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I laugh when people say getting them on campus doesn’t help.

This would matter if this spring were much different than any other, this staff has missed out on almost all their April targets since they've been here. I'm pretty sure Shayok is the only early offer that they ended up landing.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Our spring recruiting was great last year. It was pretty good the year before too.

I definitely don’t agree with great. If it were, we’re not a bad team last year (even prior to Haliburton’s injury) and looking at the same next year. We landed a little used freshman (that was a fan of the program?), a midmajor role player that needed a redshirt. Bolton was a very good get and major props to our compliance staff that he could play. Better than our normal spring, but not great, and good would depend on what Johnson does.

The year before was Nixon, that’s not even good.

The Shayok, Jacobson, and Talley offseason was great. The sit one play one was invested in an all-conference type (opposed to a known MWC chucker). Even though we fell into landing an ISU fan in Jacobson, he was a good starter on a tournament team.

Prohm has struggled to land guys that fill immediate holes. He’s invested redshirts in low level Big 12 starters (or worse). At first it was because we’re too good, now we’re too bad or they can’t visit! I don’t recall too many of the good ones we have landed in which the campus visit was imperative. Perhaps Shayok?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron