235 speed cameras Back On Monday

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Crash statistics are an easy statistic to find but is it the best? Calling it dangerous or not based solely on crash statistics doesn't really tell the whole picture IMO.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Over a huge sample size, odds are that it is the whole picture.

Is it though? You are saying it is impossible that it is not dangerous because there are not a high number of accidents. If three friends jump off of a cliff and only one gets hurt is it dangerous or not?

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I go back and forth on traffic cameras.

They do seem intrusive and moving us towards a surveillance-state. BAD

They also seem effective in slowing motorists down and preventing motorists from running red lights (a particular pet-peeve of mine). GOOD

If the cameras didn't make money, they wouldn't be installed. If they cost a municipality MORE than they brought in, they wouldn't get installed. Since they bring in revenue, OF COURSE they are going to be installed.

Turnpikes have completely removed booths and gone to transmitters AND cameras. They mail motorists (or the license-holder of the vehicle, more accurately) a bill if they don't have an EZ Pass (for example) transmitter. This is not that different from traffic cameras. I haven't heard a lot of complaining about this use of cameras in a traffic situation.

Reactions: wxman1

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Say you were speeding up to allow someone to merge, or to pass someone to avoid something further down in your lane. Or aliens. What if there were aliens?
I don't know that either of those scenarios constitute an exception to the state speed limit law as it is written.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
@Cyclonepride do you agree it we have a speed limit law, should be enforced or not? If you agree we should enforce our traffic laws, shouldn't we do it using our latest technology?

Again, I see laws as being designed to create an orderly society (not a society of order) as we see fit. If we decide that a person should be present, that the offense should be specifically targeted, and accept that (oh the horror) some offenses may go unpunished under such a system, then we can do that (and I wholeheartedly support such a system).

Cities completely abandoned all pretense of safety in their arguments to keep this. It's about revenue, plain and simple. That was their main argument, because the safety argument would not have been borne out by the facts.

Reactions: JBone84

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I don't know that either of those scenarios constitute an exception to the state speed limit law as it is written.

and doesn't 10 miles an hour over the limit provide the cushion needed for a vast, vast majority of time you need to speed. I think so. If not ,raise it to 12 (for example).

However, I never hear anyone complaining that 10 isn't enough. That is never the argument I see anyway.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Again, I see laws as being designed to create an orderly society (not a society of order) as we see fit. If we decide that a person should be present, that the offense should be specifically targeted, and accept that (oh the horror) some offenses may go unpunished under such a system, then we can do that (and I wholeheartedly support such a system).

Cities completely abandoned all pretense of safety in their arguments to keep this. It's about revenue, plain and simple. That was their main argument, because the safety argument would not have been borne out by the facts.

Which is why I think they should be honest and say, "heck yeah...it is about the money! ". But then....we are talking politician and "safety" sells much better.

I say be honest and compare that to raising taxes instead...or cutting "X" services.

Help Support Us

Become a patron