Illinois matchup

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Does anyone know where Iowa State was at defensively and offensively ranked when they went against Virginia in 2016 in the Sweet 16? This game against Illinois reminds me of that game so much for it's potential, except now we're on the other side.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Does anyone know where Iowa State was at defensively and offensively ranked when they went against Virginia in 2016 in the Sweet 16? This game against Illinois reminds me of that game so much for it's potential, except now we're on the other side.

I've been thinking about this comparison a lot as well. In 2016 Iowa State was #7 in adjusted O and Virginia was #7 in adjusted D. I really like our chances to slow down and frustrate Illinois. If they try to play fast we will just slow the game down even more. Offensively we should be able to grind out long efficient possessions and score.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I've been thinking about this comparison a lot as well. In 2016 Iowa State was #7 in adjusted O and Virginia was #7 in adjusted D. I really like our chances to slow down and frustrate Illinois. If they try to play fast we will just slow the game down even more. Offensively we should be able to grind out long efficient possessions and score.
I think the game will come down to turnover rate in a huge way. Illini do not force turnovers so I don't see them getting to play in transition very often. Over under at 16 turnovers. We force more than that we win. If we force under that we probably lose this one.

Oct 30, 2023
I think the game will come down to turnover rate in a huge way. Illini do not force turnovers so I don't see them getting to play in transition very often. Over under at 16 turnovers. We force more than that we win. If we force under that we probably lose this one.
probably the equalizer there will be rebounding, Illinois is #11 in the nation in rebounding margin and Iowa State is 170th.

Types of turnovers matter to me, I think you guys will win the overall turnover battle, we'll get extra possessions off the boards. If it's a very low tempo game and you're turning us over in the halfcourt that is bad news, we can open up the game and lose the ball a few times being aggressive I'm not sure that would bother me much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letterkenny

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
probably the equalizer there will be rebounding, Illinois is #11 in the nation in rebounding margin and Iowa is 170th.

Types of turnovers matter to me, I think you guys will win the overall turnover battle, we'll get extra possessions off the boards. If it's a very low tempo game and you're turning us over in the halfcourt that is bad news, we can open up the game and lose the ball a few times being aggressive I'm not sure that would bother me much.
We are not a great rebounding team when I watch us rebound, but that rebounding statistic is bad for us because we force turnovers, as opposed to getting rebounds.

Reactions: moores2

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
probably the equalizer there will be rebounding, Illinois is #11 in the nation in rebounding margin and Iowa is 170th.

I'm not as concerned on the rebound front. Our rate isn't fantastic, but we play some of the better offensive rebounding teams in the country ie Houston prior to injuries. I think you also have to look at rate vs sheer number of offensive boards. Illini put up probably like 10-15 extra shots a game just based on pace of play over the entire year which leads to inflated number of offensive boards per game. Where as Iowa State leads the country in turnover percentage which means they also limit their opponents to fewer shots even with a lower pace of play.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
We will do what we do, they will try to do what they do. It's much easier to slow a game down than speed a game up, which favors us. We have to keep them off the line/stay out of foul trouble and rebound reasonably well. That being said, it will be tough to get offensive boards because of how much they like to run.

We win by generating extra possessions, so assuming we don't get a ton of offensive rebounds because we're sending people to get back on defense, we need to turn them over. It's a familiar tune for us. Teams beat us by being patient and disciplined to attack our defense. We'll see if Illinois can be patient and disciplined for 40 minutes. I don't think they can.

Reactions: Acer88

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And honestly this applies even during the game.

The way our defense wears teams down, we often are the worse team early on before the defense has had its effect. But then in so many games we reach a point where our D just breaks them, usually sometime in the second half.
Just to expand on this, I think there is the first few minutes of shock having never faced something like the ISU pressure. That usually results in a Cyclone lead. Then the other team figures it out and claws back into the game. ISU then comes out of the half on a tear and shocks them again. Then the opposition wears down and ISU pulls away.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We will do what we do, they will try to do what they do. It's much easier to slow a game down than speed a game up, which favors us. We have to keep them off the line/stay out of foul trouble and rebound reasonably well. That being said, it will be tough to get offensive boards because of how much they like to run.

We win by generating extra possessions, so assuming we don't get a ton of offensive rebounds because we're sending people to get back on defense, we need to turn them over. It's a familiar tune for us. Teams beat us by being patient and disciplined to attack our defense. We'll see if Illinois can be patient and disciplined for 40 minutes. I don't think they can.

Valuing the ball and patience may be key for ISU.

I think that's been better since KSU; even if it's a run out, if it's not there, it's not there and running some sort of set helps to at least get a decent look.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
but that 6th best team in the A10 beat the one team in the Big 12 that many feel is ISUs kryptonite. Then Illinois went on to destroy them, so that is concerning.
Comparing how teams do against a common opponent is always a bad idea. Let's also not forget that ISU split with BYU this year so it isn't like there is no way ISU could beat them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron