Illinois matchup

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just browsing the news and sport sites yesterday and this morning, Iowa State is a complete after-thought. Playing up the other 2 seeds and even NC state, but little to no mention of ISU. Here's hoping they blow out Illinois and make a statement.
I'm good with it. I'm to the point where I don't care, just keep doing our thing and keep winning. Example the guy from Charleston (?) that is transferring in I think that is a big W for next yr. . Beat Illinois and wr are in the elite 8 that's pretty amazing for a 3rd yr coach and a school that doesn't get a ton of publicity

Reactions: Cyhig

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
No one will notice all week when media talking heads are patting Illinois on the back for being the hottest team in the tournament. But ISU has been hotter going back to the start of conference tournament week. Thursday night is all about the Finding Out.

Reactions: Acer88

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Over their last 10 games against B1G foes Illinois has given up over 80 points per game 7 times. We aren't talking about a bunch of high power offenses here either. This feels like a game where Gilbert can get to the rim and Ward can really cook as well. Iowa State will be able to score in those one, it all boils down to our defense which I love.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Barttorvik.com profile comparisons suggest teams built similar ISU can expect to win 2.8 NCAA tournament games.

A team like Illinois can expect 1.1 wins in the tournament.

I realize in one game anything can happen, and matchups matter. But don't feel fatalistic about playing them.ISU is constructed to take on teams like this. Illinois has already overperformed. ISU is built to win another one.

Reactions: Acer88 and Cyhig

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Over their last 10 games against B1G foes Illinois has given up over 80 points per game 7 times. We aren't talking about a bunch of high power offenses here either. This feels like a game where Gilbert can get to the rim and Ward can really cook as well. Iowa State will be able to score in those one, it all boils down to our defense which I love.
Yes but what about our weak OOC schedule?

/S

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Going to be a completely different game than today. Illinois will be more than happy to let us score. They expect to get it back on the other end. We need to be able to score when the opportunities arise. This game won’t be won in the 60’s.
Will it be over 145.5?? :)

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
No one will notice all week when media talking heads are patting Illinois on the back for being the hottest team in the tournament. But ISU has been hotter going back to the start of conference tournament week. Thursday night is all about the Finding Out.
ISU Torvik rankings since start of the B12 tournament:
AdjO-13
AdjD-4
Overall-1

Illinois rankings since start of the B10 tournament:
AdjO-3
AdjD-155
Overall-12

Oct 30, 2023
Now we will get them for sure.
Given the number of collective apology letters our two schools have gotten from our conferences... the whole "unstoppable force vs. immovable object" narrative this game has going on could creep up in a very different way.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There is just zero reason for any game to start at 10pm in the local time zone. It's ******* stupid.
It's all about TV. Unfortunately, between the two games that are played, you need a four and a half hour window, and we are the second game. With the West Coast, the first game is starting at 4:30. Can't really start it much before then.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
It's all about TV. Unfortunately, between the two games that are played, you need a four and a half hour window, and we are the second game. With the West Coast, the first game is starting at 4:30. Can't really start it much before then.
Sorry...I should have said there is zero good reason...

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
All I know is last night I watched the live stream with Jeff Goodman and his cronys, and he said ISU stands no chance because we don't have guard play. :explode:
Field of 68 podcast is a joke. I listened to that podcast today and was waiting on their analysis of ISU and Illinois. I'm not sure who it was but some moron said they fell asleep during our game and so he didn't have anything to say. Their take was a joke so I unfollowed that and then tried to find another pod to listen to about Saturdays games. These pundits are not very good at their jobs. Probably more on how Illinois offense is so great blah blah and not realizing defense has boded well more for deeper runs than offense.