Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I rarely put on a mask, because my job rarely has me interact with other people. If I'm by myself, I'm not going to wear one. Most my interactions are also one on one so I see what they are doing. I generally always keep 6-7 foot anyhow so that has not been an issue.

If you are wearing one at all instances; will you be wearing one come winter time since other viruses and crud is commonly transmitted this way? I'm thinking about when the Covid situation is no longer a high threat.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If you are showing signs of being sick. Obviously there is asymptomatic transmission but as I said I think the false sense of security and adjusting the mask I think is more likely to spread if someone doesn’t show symptoms. In an ideal world the US would be able to handle wearing a mask appropriately but we aren’t there. It isn’t a simple fix IMO.

Since we have no clue who is infected at this time, isn't it safer to assume everyone is infected? Therefore everyone should be wearing masks.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
We've known for months now that many people are going to be asymptomatic carriers of this virus and somehow we still hear people say "well I'm not sick...". How is this possible? Do you just ignore the part where you could have it and never show symptoms but be passing it to everyone you come near?

This is selfishness that you've apparently been able to justify to yourself, but it's still selfish.
Again please read the full post. I’ve explained my justification. I think it is a reasonable justification. I think for asymptomatic people who like me have trouble wearing them it’s better to not be constantly touching my face. If you can wear one without touching your face then absolutely always wear it. I just know there are people like me who are not there yet. If I am not experiencing symptoms then I think it’s more likely I touch something someone else has spread germs to and bring it up to my face. Because I can’t wear the mask I have not been the one shopping either.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’ve said I don’t wear one as I’m not showing any signs of being sick. At this time I find wearing one incredibly uncomfortable and find myself constantly adjusting it. I am of the opinion me touching things and then touching my face is worse off than me just keeping my hands in my pocket and trying to get in and out as quick as possible.

I also think that masks in the US prevent a false sense of security. I think if you are sick you should absolutely wear one. I think the US will eventually then culturally be able to handle them but I don’t think we are at this point in history.

Wait, so you can't walk around with your hands in your pocket while wearing a mask?

It's uncomfortable?!?! Really? That's the excuse? Go put a gas mask on and suck rubber for a couple hours in full MOP gear and then tell me how uncomfortable that little mask is.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you are wearing one at all instances; will you be wearing one come winter time since other viruses and crud is commonly transmitted this way? I'm thinking about when the Covid situation is no longer a high threat.
The choice to wear one while in the middle of a pandemic is still different than wearing one while not in the middle of a pandemic. It would be nice though if wearing a mask in public during flu season were more common and socially acceptable, it'd be a benefit for everyone.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Again please read the full post. I’ve explained my justification. I think it is a reasonable justification. I think for asymptomatic people who like me have trouble wearing them it’s better to not be constantly touching my face. If you can wear one without touching your face then absolutely always wear it. I just know there are people like me who are not there yet. If I am not experiencing symptoms then I think it’s more likely I touch something someone else has spread germs to and bring it up to my face. Because I can’t wear the mask I have not been the one shopping either.
Here's an idea, just don't touch your ******* face.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I’m just going to say it again and otherwise frankly I’m going to give up.

The discourse here is extremely toxic and not providing any semblance of a discussion. You guys are just having a shouting match. Can we get back to having a robust debate about Coronavirus response?

Just like every other subject these days it becomes a proxy to debate extreme political ideology. Tribalism abounds and there is no room left in the middle for anyone that may want to admit the other side may, at times, have a valid argument.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Here's an idea, just don't touch your ******* face.
Again this is the nasty rhetoric that just is not acceptable. I’m trying to have a reasoned discussion. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me on my reasoning. I do expect people to not be nasty about it and this thread has devolved into a certain group of posters yelling at people who don’t fall completely in line with their line of thinking.

I have specifically said my ultimate goal is to get to a point where everyone wears a mask. I just don’t think the execution of mandatory masks works at this point.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I’ve said I don’t wear one as I’m not showing any signs of being sick. At this time I find wearing one incredibly uncomfortable and find myself constantly adjusting it. I am of the opinion me touching things and then touching my face is worse off than me just keeping my hands in my pocket and trying to get in and out as quick as possible.

I also think that masks in the US prevent a false sense of security. I think if you are sick you should absolutely wear one. I think the US will eventually then culturally be able to handle them but I don’t think we are at this point in history.

You did so well, and then you came running in with with take.
Congrats on being a big part of the problem.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Again this is the nasty rhetoric that just is not acceptable. I’m trying to have a reasoned discussion. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me on my reasoning. I do expect people to not be nasty about it and this thread has devolved into a certain group of posters yelling at people who don’t fall completely in line with their line of thinking.

I have specifically said my ultimate goal is to get to a point where everyone wears a mask. I just don’t think the execution of mandatory masks works at this point.
It doesn't work because of the people that say "it's annoying" or "I'm not sick" and then choose not to wear it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I...I...I...I...I...I

Catching a theme?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
There's no debate to be had, it's purely ideological at this point. Nothing is changing fast enough in the short-term to carry a conversation.

The best debate will be after it's all over and the worldwide results are collected for comparison.

Spoiler alert --
Let me sum up the entirety of the post-Covid debate for everyone:

A: "Trump/Reynolds didn't listen to the science, favored businesses and money, and thousands died needlessly. They should be tried as war criminals"

B: "Trump/Reynolds did everything right, saved countless lives and millions of jobs. We should add Trump's face to Mt Rushmore."

Neither side can really "prove" anything - models will be made, but you can tailor your assumptions to get the answers you want, and both sides will. Convenient!

Kodos 2020.

Reactions: Acylum

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Spoiler alert --
Let me sum up the entirety of the post-Covid debate for everyone:

A: "Trump/Reynolds didn't listen to the science, favored businesses and money, and thousands died needlessly. They should be tried as war criminals"

B: "Trump/Reynolds did everything right, saved countless lives and millions of jobs. We should add Trump's face to Mt Rushmore."

Neither side can really "prove" anything - models will be made, but you can tailor your assumptions to get the answers you want, and both sides will. Convenient!

Kodos 2020.

While there are some extremes in there, there is also some sad truth.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So I have one more question / comment on the actual observations of this sickness. How can you have some 40+% of people show NO symptoms? Assuming these were new viruses if you catch the measles you get the measles, if you were to catch polio you would show symptoms of polio, etc.

But with this new virus only a small percentage of people get sick? That's not logical. There absolutely MUST be another factor that comes into play. Only those with both, or more, factors get really sick.

So my limited understanding is that during the 5-14 day incubation period, some people's bodies are able to fight the virus before it takes hold and causes symptoms. That's how they have antibodies but no symptoms. Remember, symptoms (fever, cough) are often your body's reaction to the virus, not caused by the virus itself.

Reactions: bawbie

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines

For better or for worse, most people tend to imitate what they see others do. The more people that wear a mask in public, the more likely it is that there will be greater general adoption as it becomes seen as "normal." Taking at face value (no pun intended) that your goal is everyone eventually wearing a mask, it becomes more important to model good behavior even if you don't think it's necessary for you.

One possible suggestion would be to "practice" wearing a mask at home? That way you can perhaps get used to it in a low-stakes environment and work on not touching your face when you do go out in public. Just trying to be constructive and come up with ideas in order to make progress on reaching your ultimate goal.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

Yeah, people being an ass about this is not going to bring you around. I get it. My wife has a hard time with the idea of wearing masks and I've been working to bring her around to them slowly. Some people have almost a phobia of masks for whatever reason.

That said, think about if someone else was telling you the same thing you are telling us. Or think about if everyone in the country followed your advice. The masks aren't comfortable for anyone. It takes a little discipline not to touch it for everyone. But a world where anyone who says "I don't like the way this feels" doesn't wear a mask during the middle of a pandemic is not a good world.

I'm not saying put on a mask the minute you walk out the door. I'm saying when you go into a store or other area that will put you in close proximity to other people, you should wear one. And saying it's uncomfortable, or that you have no symptoms, or that you lack the discipline to keep your hands off the mask is a bad excuse. And you seem like an intelligent person who cares about doing what's right, so I think you know that it's a bad excuse. I'm not going to beat you up over it. But think about it. You're rationalizing about why it's OK for you to not do something you feel should be done by others.

For me, I'll keep wearing my mask to the store in the hopes that it normalizes it more for people like you and helps you get over your fears.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
What's the mind set behind not wearing one? I wear one because if it helps me or someone else stay healthy then it's worth a minor inconvenience.
You stated it...it's an inconvenience. Either requires purchasing some or the made at home variety require cleaning in between uses or multiple homemade as well. For many, they are uncomfortable, make it difficult to breath, etc.
There are a number of things that could cause one not to wear it. I won't judge whether someone does or doesn't.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You stated it...it's an inconvenience. Either requires purchasing some or the made at home variety require cleaning in between uses or multiple homemade as well. For many, they are uncomfortable, make it difficult to breath, etc.
There are a number of things that could cause one not to wear it. I won't judge whether someone does or doesn't.
I can understand if you aren't able to get one, although more and more I see people selling for cheap or even giving away homemade ones. Everything else is still just selfishness of varying forms.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
IMO it's the same as requiring a shirt or no smoking in a place of business. it is necessary for the safety of the customers and (especially) employees.
If the store requires it, then it should be complied with. I have no issue with that. If the store doesn't require it, then I have no issue with folks not wearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.