Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You can assemble (just not in large groups in person).
You can leave your home - as long as it is in a safe manner
You can keep your business open - as long as it is safe for employees and customers

None of that has changed - just what is safe is different right now

This bully style 'Fine, then just stay in your home for 5 months' narrative is just weird.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Which side is using their guns and intimidation? It's not the freedom loving people
michigan-anti-quarantine-protest-05-gty-jc-200415_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So I have one more question / comment on the actual observations of this sickness. How can you have some 40+% of people show NO symptoms? Assuming these were new viruses if you catch the measles you get the measles, if you were to catch polio you would show symptoms of polio, etc.

But with this new virus only a small percentage of people get sick? That's not logical. There absolutely MUST be another factor that comes into play. Only those with both, or more, factors get really sick.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So I have one more question / comment on the actual observations of this sickness. How can you have some 40+% of people show NO symptoms? Assuming these were new viruses if you catch the measles you get the measles, if you were to catch polio you would show symptoms of polio, etc.

But with this new virus only a small percentage of people get sick? That's not logical. There absolutely MUST be another factor that comes into play. Only those with both, or more, factors get really sick.
Surely on that AIDS denier anti-vax website you posted earlier they talk about asymptomatic carriers somewhere? Maybe an article where they sell you a miracle elixir to keep you from getting COVID-19?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Thank you for the very rational post. That is very similar to my family situation.

The mask topic is one that has me the most worried. When you look at the 'very vocal minority' that are protesting in person or online, the very concept of wearing a mask is quickly becoming a "partisan" issue - I've seen several interviews / statements where people assert that wearing a mask means you are acquising to the restrictions - it's seen as a vote of approval for the "shut downs". We've seen it from a couple posters in this thread too. That, combined with the inability of leadership to "do what I saw" in terms of mask wearing is very dangerous. We could open more things quicker if everyone agreed to wear masks.

Pence dumped a couple hundred gallons of unleaded on that fire last week....

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was funny how those lawmakers who love to use their so called power while hiding in a capital building see some results of their actions. They needed a pants check, not a temperature check.

It's the same as the person who goes into a store and coughs on people, or the people pulling firearms on workers in Stillwater, OK. There's exercising rights, and then being a threat to others.

They're probably the same people who will throw racial slurs at someone at work and then go 'Free speech' if they have consequences.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Thank you for the very rational post. That is very similar to my family situation.

The mask topic is one that has me the most worried. When you look at the 'very vocal minority' that are protesting in person or online, the very concept of wearing a mask is quickly becoming a "partisan" issue - I've seen several interviews / statements where people assert that wearing a mask means you are acquising to the restrictions - it's seen as a vote of approval for the "shut downs". We've seen it from a couple posters in this thread too. That, combined with the inability of leadership to "do what I saw" in terms of mask wearing is very dangerous. We could open more things quicker if everyone agreed to wear masks.
Wearing a mask is a personal choice...period. I respect that choice. Don't look down on those who do, don't look down on those who don't.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m just going to say it again and otherwise frankly I’m going to give up.

The discourse here is extremely toxic and not providing any semblance of a discussion. You guys are just having a shouting match. Can we get back to having a robust debate about Coronavirus response?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Wearing a mask is a personal choice...period. I respect that choice. Don't look down on those who do, don't look down on those who don't.
What's the mind set behind not wearing one? I wear one because if it helps me or someone else stay healthy then it's worth a minor inconvenience.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

It's my choice to look down at people who refuse to wear a mask in stores because they are being incredibly selfish and are only thinking of themselves. It's super neat to hide behind the it's my choice" BS though...

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I’m just going to say it again and otherwise frankly I’m going to give up.

The discourse here is extremely toxic and not providing any semblance of a discussion. You guys are just having a shouting match. Can we get back to having a robust debate about Coronavirus response?

There's no debate to be had, it's purely ideological at this point. Nothing is changing fast enough in the short-term to carry a conversation.

The best debate will be after it's all over and the worldwide results are collected for comparison.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
What's the mind set behind not wearing one? I wear one because if it helps me or someone else stay healthy then it's worth a minor inconvenience.
I’ve said I don’t wear one as I’m not showing any signs of being sick. At this time I find wearing one incredibly uncomfortable and find myself constantly adjusting it. I am of the opinion me touching things and then touching my face is worse off than me just keeping my hands in my pocket and trying to get in and out as quick as possible.

I also think that masks in the US prevent a false sense of security. I think if you are sick you should absolutely wear one. I think the US will eventually then culturally be able to handle them but I don’t think we are at this point in history.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I’ve said I don’t wear one as I’m not showing any signs of being sick. At this time I find wearing one incredibly uncomfortable and find myself constantly adjusting it. I am of the opinion me touching things and then touching my face is worse off than me just keeping my hands in my pocket and trying to get in and out as quick as possible.

I also think that masks in the US prevent a false sense of security. I think if you are sick you should absolutely wear one. I think the US will eventually then culturally be able to handle them but I don’t think we are at this point in history.

How does one go about finding out if they are sick?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
How does one go about finding out if they are sick?
If you are showing signs of being sick. Obviously there is asymptomatic transmission but as I said I think the false sense of security and adjusting the mask I think is more likely to spread if someone doesn’t show symptoms. In an ideal world the US would be able to handle wearing a mask appropriately but we aren’t there. It isn’t a simple fix IMO.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

We've known for months now that many people are going to be asymptomatic carriers of this virus and somehow we still hear people say "well I'm not sick...". How is this possible? Do you just ignore the part where you could have it and never show symptoms but be passing it to everyone you come near?

This is selfishness that you've apparently been able to justify to yourself, but it's still selfish.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

IMO it's the same as requiring a shirt or no smoking in a place of business. it is necessary for the safety of the customers and (especially) employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.