Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
So changing gears a little what should the worlds response be to China when this problem is under control? It was likely an accident that this occurred, at least according to intelligence reports. More could have been done as far as containment and travel restriction initially. As well as being more forthcoming with information. However I’m not surprised they tried to hide/downplay/ deny the problem, that’s a page out of the old Soviet playbook. The Soviets did the same with Chernobyl. Just curious on thoughts.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USA #1 all day errday

We should invade some small country to celebrate. Maybe some small Caribbean island with nice beaches. That's the problem with doing a full on blame China defection. We can't invade China. Hell, we can't even economically war with them anymore.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This is the guy I was referring a few days ago. The part that has me so frustrated is the simple fact that he was clearly in a terrible place medically. Why the **** did it matter if he met state criteria or not? The man was obviously in dire need of medical intervention and he just kept getting turned away. It feels like they were so hyperfocused on COVID19 that they forgot to treat the man for being sick.

The hospitals are virtually shut down. None of this makes sense...probably because it's being forced by people who lack... well lots of things.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We should invade some small country to celebrate. Maybe some small Caribbean island with nice beaches. That's the problem with doing a full on blame China defection. We can't invade China. Hell, we can't even economically war with them anymore.

I thought we had already agreed Greenland was next.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
You would be getting a live animal, or needing to be there and do your own butchering.

I have one bought 50 cents pound. if it were a cold month, I would do it myself. Looking for a locker right now. Anyone know of a of a not so busy locker in western Iowa?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
So changing gears a little what should the worlds response be to China when this problem is under control? It was likely an accident that this occurred, at least according to intelligence reports. More could have been done as far as containment and travel restriction initially. As well as being more forthcoming with information. However I’m not surprised they tried to hide/downplay/ deny the problem, that’s a page out of the old Soviet playbook. The Soviets did the same with Chernobyl. Just curious on thoughts.
We should respond by turning meat packing plants into our own version of "wet markets". That will show'em!

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
This a non-weighted chart, so it really doesn't reflect the actual rate based on population. We have 6x's the population of Italy...take their rate and multiply times 6 and you get a line well above the US. Biggest takeaway is that all the countries suck at gaining the upper hand early...they waited way too long before implementing restrictions.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The obsession with china is ridiculous. China is not the issue here.

China didn't prevent us taking action. We knew the whole time what was coming and did almost nothing meaningful until well into March.

And while they may have downplayed their official numbers, we've seen a lot of that going on here too, so maybe we should worry about ourselves first. We could have handled this quickly and with much less damage had we been on the ball.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This a non-weighted chart, so it really doesn't reflect the actual rate based on population. We have 6x's the population of Italy...take their rate and multiply times 6 and you get a line well above the US. Biggest takeaway is that all the countries suck at gaining the upper hand early...they waited way too long before implementing restrictions.

The more important thing to look at would be the slope of the lines. Ours is much sharper upwards.

Also per capita isn't necessarily the best way to look at things at least until this ends. They started earlier. We also have advantages over them with large areas of low density

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The obsession with China with some of you wingnuts is pretty ridiculous.

China didn't prevent us taking action. We knew the whole time what was coming and did almost nothing meaningful until well into March.

And while they may have downplayed their official numbers, we've seen a lot of that going on here too, so maybe we should worry about ourselves first. We could have handled this quickly and with much less damage had we been on the ball.
Part of the issue is when the leading person, Fauci, tells people to go on spring break and vacation in March; we probably aren’t going to put early measures in when he, as the main expert, says not to be concerned.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I haven't seen anywhere that China did anything different than our own government. They denied the severity until it exploded. They then locked down their cities much tighter than we did.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Extremely busy dining room today, and customers with masks (prior to eating since of course you'd take it off to eat) are very rare.

I posted the thought on Friday but turns out it's true - the kind of person who is gonna go out to a restaurant right now is the kind of person who isn't going to wear a mask. Kinda like how if you went to Lowe's right now on a Saturday afternoon you would see a lot of people with no masks, kids in tow, browsing, etc but if you went to the same store midweek at open or just before close you'd more likely see most people solo in a mask who are there for specific things.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Extremely busy dining room today, and customers with masks (prior to eating since of course you'd take it off to eat) are very rare.

I wonder if people going out to eat figure they will have to take off the mask to eat, which will be a considerable amount of time, that they might as well just not wear one.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The last two days have seen ~10% increases each day in cases in the 77 counties that have “re-opened”. That seems to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron