Drunk Driving and Fake Science

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The theory is fine, although as the author stated there are a number of variables. What is not fine is that these companies have not shown how their products even work and are never subject to any scientific review. They may be measuring something entirely different for all we known.

Right - that's an issue with the implementation and the usage of the product. NOT with the science.

I agree with you on the breathalizer - I vehemently disagree with your ignorant anti-science inferences from it.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
saved.

When I was younger I was totally drunk as crap driving my boat. Got pulled over, pulled into the cops boat. Could barely stand up. I failed all the boat sobriety tests. He gave me the choice to take the breath test. I took it and passed. Blew a .06. I was totally drunk. The cop said "I think you are drunk and you failed the tests but the breathalyzer says otherwise. Have a good day sir. I was like WTF. How did I pass that. I didn't argue. BTW this was at Lake of the Ozarks coming out of party cove.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Right - that's an issue with the implementation and the usage of the product. NOT with the science.

I agree with you on the breathalizer - I vehemently disagree with your ignorant anti-science inferences from it.

I'm not anti-science. I'm very pro-science. I just know enough science to know when it is being done incorrectly. And that is quite often these days. People who don't know as much are just prone to believe whatever they are told is correct and I like to point out when their assumptions are likely wrong.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
When I was younger I was totally drunk as crap driving my boat. Got pulled over, pulled into the cops boat. Could barely stand up. I failed all the boat sobriety tests. He gave me the choice to take the breath test. I took it and passed. Blew a .06. I was totally drunk. The cop said "I think you are drunk and you failed the tests but the breathalyzer says otherwise. Have a good day sir. I was like WTF. How did I pass that. I didn't argue. BTW this was at Lake of the Ozarks coming out of party cove.

That was your lucky day. I'm assuming that was quite some time ago because these days I'd guess you'd be arrested anyway.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That was your lucky day. I'm assuming that was quite some time ago because these days I'd guess you'd be arrested anyway.

It was about 17 years ago. Yeah I don't do that anymore. I have never got one but that scared me enough to quit drinking and driving.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
al·le·go·ry
/ˈaləˌɡôrē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.
    "Pilgrim's Progress is an allegory of the spiritual journey"

Similar:
    parable

analogy
    analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies

metaphor

symbol

emblem

story

tale

Thanks, but don't care about the misspelling, you knew what I meant.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In Iowa, aren't you allowed to choose a urine or blood test to determine BAC levels? These machines may be useful to detect potential drunk driving, but they shouldn't be used in court.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Alcodroid is a good app that is supposedly fairly accurate and errs on the side of conservatism. Of course I dont rely on it to be very accurate. You dont look at it when it says .079 and be like "I'm good to go!" But it's a good app to keep track of how many you've had and a general idea of where you are BAC wise.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So what's the answer to not having this when drunk driving kills people and even a slight bit of impairment can hinder driving ability?

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
While I generally agree that .08 is low, you'd be surprised at how much you can drink and stay under

https://www.moderation.org/bac/bac-men.html

But the reality is that .08 BAC doesn't increase your inability to operate a vehicle much. It's even crazier when you consider that in many states (including Iowa), the level of punishment for a .081 and a .25 are the exact same, despite there being a massive difference in the danger of the two acts.

After spending seventeen years in law enforcement I still cannot figure this out. Why do we have different levels and classifications for almost every crime except our drunk driving laws? I had a really tough time with that. OWI punishments are life altering and it does not matter what level you are at, that needs to change. Certain penalties for certain tiers of BAC.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks, but don't care about the misspelling, you knew what I meant.
The part that actually was funny is your take that the science is bad at the math level. Thus indicating that the breathalyzers are like parables. The misspell worked really well with your point.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/the-weekly - It's the Guilty by Machine episode

I am not sure if you can watch online. It usually airs on Sundays at 9PM on FX.
Okay, now I'm confused. Did you intend to write algorhythm or allegory? I can't tell from your OP and the embeds in the replies to your post.

Crap - I'm so confused, I replied to the wrong damn post!

• Winner
Reactions: Magic

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
In Iowa, aren't you allowed to choose a urine or blood test to determine BAC levels? These machines may be useful to detect potential drunk driving, but they shouldn't be used in court.

Blood test could be a pain in the ass.

Another issue with that is if someone had smoked pot 3 weeks prior, and had had a beer or two that night, they would still end up with an OWI despite not being actively intoxicated.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
After spending seventeen years in law enforcement I still cannot figure this out. Why do we have different levels and classifications for almost every crime except our drunk driving laws? I had a really tough time with that. OWI punishments are life altering and it does not matter what level you are at, that needs to change. Certain penalties for certain tiers of BAC.

I've always wanted to see something where the low blows (under .12) were simple misdemeanors and it escalated from there based on BAC. Something like .12-.15 was a serious misdemeanor, .15-.20 was an aggravated misdemeanor, and north of .20 was a felony.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I agree with you, bon't judges have some discretion on sentencing based on things like BAC? I know that's leaving it up to the discretion of one person, but it's better than nothing.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So what's the answer to not having this when drunk driving kills people and even a slight bit of impairment can hinder driving ability?

IMO the answer is to keep the breathalyzers but they should got through a mandated calibration by an expert every so often. And the breathalyzer makers should have to have their code reviewed by outside experts also. And all the findings should be released. An audit of these things.

Reactions: cycart and Acylum