Iowa State hoping to unveil new uniforms in 'next month or so'

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
isu_football_side_concept19-jpg.56165

That would be perfect without using the brown gold.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I go on vacation from July 13 through July 31.

Just my luck to probably miss an unveil (and to complain about it).

At least I won't miss much else for sporting news.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
These are going to suck. Just brace for it. ISU has always been piss poor at marketing. The Bugle logo was just another in a long line of missteps, and tells me that they haven't gotten any better.

The one thing we ever did right was the old tornado logo.

Getting rid of the Criner Tornado was the best thing ISU has done relative to logos or helmet decals. I don't recall anyone ******** about its disappearance back in the 80s and I find it humorous that so many here have advocated its comeback and wrongly calling it an Orr Tornado.

ISU needs to stick with the I-State logo as its primary athletic mark and stick to its current Cardinal and Gold shades. A black/silver alternate for a game is fine by me as well as the new Cyclone logo.

Changing the Gold shade to what was used for the Trice throwbacks would be ideal but the costs to change signage, murals, courts, etc. in all of University venues make that change prohibitive unless Nike foots most of that bill.

Last edited:

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Getting rid of the Criner Tornado was the best thing ISU has done relative to logos or helmet decals. I don't recall anyone ******** about its disappearance back in the 80s and I find it humorous that so many here have advocated its comeback and wrongly calling it an Orr Tornado.

ISU needs to stick with the I-State logo as its primary athletic mark and stick to its current Cardinal and Gold shades. A black/silver alternate for a game is fine by me as well as the new Cyclone logo.

Changing the Gold shade to what was used for the Trice throwbacks would be ideal but the costs to change signage, murals, courts, etc. in all of University venues make that change prohibitive unless Nike foots most of that bill.
I was in school during the Criner years and know it came from Criner - agree don't know why people are calling it the Orr tornado. Even though Criner was not good I really like the logo. I find it preferable to the new logo.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I was in school during the Criner years and know it came from Criner - agree don't know why people are calling it the Orr tornado. Even though Criner was not good I really like the logo. I find it preferable to the new logo.

All about PR. People get nostalgic about throwback stuff, and the old tornado is one of those things. Calling it the “Orr Tornado” is their way of trying to disassociate it from Criner, but that’s a lie - it’s still the Criner Tornado.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't recall anyone ******** about its disappearance back in the 80s..,
Where did you find a Cyclone message board in the ‘80’s?

I thought that was the best representation of a Cyclone we’ve ever had. Much better than that abortion of a logo and color scheme (blue?!!) that Mac brought in.

Just too bad that it was associated with Criner.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: bgprest and cyfan21

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Who cares if it was associated with Criner? It was also associated with.... Iowa State University, and it just happens to be a part of our history. It's not like were trying to use a swastika here people. Besides it has been altered from it's original design, so technically it's not even the same design. Be interesting to see if the people who ***** about the over thinking of our colors are the same people ******** about the Criner tornado?