Aaron Hernandez Murder Trial

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He very well could have been a piece of **** before CTE, although it's interesting to note that he had a really short NFL career and still had stage 3 CTE, you have to wonder when it all started.
I think it's fairly well documented he was a piece of **** at florida too.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The "thug life" comment really resonated with me. That whole persona, or lifestyle, or whatever you want to call it, is so attractive to kids who grew up with nothing. Guns, drugs, money, ho's, expensive cars, bling, etc, etc, etc. This is so facile it's ridiculous, but hip-hop culture has presented it as desirous to kids. It's pretty apparent Hernandez grew up in that culture and embraced it. He could have learned some life lessons watching his positional brother Gronkwoski.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
CTE may explain irrational behavior, but I'm pretty sure that the % of people with CTE that also murder people is relatively low, so I'm not accepting that as some kind of football related tragedy where he's a victim of sorts.

There is little to none research of the full effects of CTE as it is relatively low and can only be detected by dissecting the brain. Simply put, we have absolutely no idea on what CTE can and cant do to a human. However, we do have a pretty good idea that it can turn a relatively normal person into a monster. To what level is unknown.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think it's fairly well documented he was a piece of **** at florida too.

How long had he been playing football for? How do we not know he didn't start to have Stage 1 CTE in middle/high school and it progressed with the blows he took in football? Im simply playing devils advocate here, but there is so much unknown with CTE, and its simply scary.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
He very well could have been a piece of **** before CTE, although it's interesting to note that he had a really short NFL career and still had stage 3 CTE, you have to wonder when it all started.

How long had he been playing football for? How do we not know he didn't start to have Stage 1 CTE in middle/high school and it progressed with the blows he took in football? Im simply playing devils advocate here, but there is so much unknown with CTE, and its simply scary.

I can't find the article I had read but it mentioned that people who were around him in high school said even though he was almost always the biggest, fastest, strongest kid on the field, he'd had a few concussions already before he graduated high school.

That article had also mentioned he didn't grow up with nothing. He came from a pretty well-to-do family. Nice house in the suburbs, two-parent home, etc. So he really wasn't some thug that grew up with it and never really had a chance, he kind of morphed into that as he went along. Which much more easily could have been due to just hanging out with the wrong crowd than blaming it on CTE. But it sure is interesting..

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There is little to none research of the full effects of CTE as it is relatively low and can only be detected by dissecting the brain. Simply put, we have absolutely no idea on what CTE can and cant do to a human. However, we do have a pretty good idea that it can turn a relatively normal person into a monster. To what level is unknown.

In this case, maybe it turned a bad guy into a worse one. That's about as far as I am willing to go.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
In this case, maybe it turned a bad guy into a worse one. That's about as far as I am willing to go.

The problem is we have no idea. Nobody knows the full effects of CTE. So until we do, if we ever do, I cant say how far Im willing to take it, and will acknowledge any possibility. Its some scary stuff.