Aaron Hernandez Murder Trial

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Opening statement were today. Trial expected to last 6-10 weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...begin-in-aaron-hernandez-trial-183612099.html

Opening statements concluded shortly after 1:30 p.m. ET. Once both attorneys concluded their statements, the judge reminded the jury of Massachusetts' "joint venture" law, which allows for an individual to be convicted of murder even if they are simply involved with the act and did not do the actual killing ... if, for instance, someone was present at a murder but did not actually perform the deed. This is critical in cases of circumstantial evidence, as the Hernandez trial is.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...rsday-in-Aaron-Hernandez-Trial-290117281.html

Hernandez sat at the defense table, chewing gum and reading notes from a legal pad. During a break prior to the start of opening statements, he was turned around talking to his mother. They were both smiling, and Hernandez seemed engaged and loose, even laughing at one point.

Might be laughing now but the amount of circumstantial evidence they have on him sounds pretty damning.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Opening statement were today. Trial expected to last 6-10 weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...begin-in-aaron-hernandez-trial-183612099.html

http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...rsday-in-Aaron-Hernandez-Trial-290117281.html

Might be laughing now but the amount of circumstantial evidence they have on him sounds pretty damning.

It just depends on what they've got. The judge threw out a key piece of evidence; the cell phone text sent by the victim shortly before his death. it said something along the lines of "Did you see who I'm with? NFL" I'm not sure what the grounds for tossing it were, but that was a blow to the prosecution. You never know with these things. I could just as easily see him get off as I could be convicted.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
It just depends on what they've got. The judge threw out a key piece of evidence; the cell phone text sent by the victim shortly before his death. it said something along the lines of "Did you see who I'm with? NFL" I'm not sure what the grounds for tossing it were, but that was a blow to the prosecution. You never know with these things. I could just as easily see him get off as I could be convicted.

I believe the judge threw them because she thought the text messages were sent to Odin's sister to 'brag' about who he was with, rather than out of fear for his life. Which I can kinda see.

Regardless, you're right...never know with these high profile cases.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Might be laughing now but the amount of circumstantial evidence they have on him sounds pretty damning.[/QUOTE said:
But all they have is circumstantial evidence. Heard a legal "expert" on CNN yesterday say that the prosecutions case is not near as strong as they need to be.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I believe the judge threw them because she thought the text messages were sent to Odin's sister to 'brag' about who he was with, rather than out of fear for his life. Which I can kinda see.

Regardless, you're right...never know with these high profile cases.

Even if they weren't out of fear, they would have placed him with Hernandez just prior to his death, and from your link, in Massachusetts, you don't have to have actually pull the trigger to be guilty of murder, only be present. That text would have gone a long ways toward establishing who Odin was with just before he died.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
But all they have is circumstantial evidence. Heard a legal "expert" on CNN yesterday say that the prosecutions case is not near as strong as they need to be.

From the yahoo link...

...the prosecution will show that DNA tests revealed Hernandez's DNA was present on a shell casing found in the car driven that night.

This is the first time I've heard they have DNA on Hernandez so if what the prosecution said is true in their opening statements, that is pretty big news.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Even if they weren't out of fear, they would have placed him with Hernandez just prior to his death, and from your link, in Massachusetts, you don't have to have actually pull the trigger to be guilty of murder, only be present. That text would have gone a long ways toward establishing who Odin was with just before he died.

Good point. Any evidence throw out in a circumstantial case is never good for the prosecution but with the video showing Odin getting in the car with Hernandez I can't see them letting him walk (this is why I wouldn't be a good juror).

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN

It has to do with rules of evidence and hearsay. Generally, hearsay, which is a statement made out of court (e.g., text message) that is submitted to provide evidence of the matter asserted in the statement (e.g., as evidence to support a position that OL was with AH), is not admissible in court. There are several exceptions to the general rule, but the judge felt none fit this case. In general, hearsay is not admissible because of the person offering the statement (e.g., the sister) did not directly witness the matter asserted in the statement (e.g., that OL was with AH), so it is impossible to definitively know whether the person (e.g., OL) is making a true statement.

Further, in this particular case, the text is a little ambiguous. "NFL" can mean a lot of things, and OL is not here to explain what he meant by "NFL."

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The problem with this is you are left to assume he meant Hernandez which wouldn't constitute evidence.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/18179444?widget=true

According to The Boston Globe, Bomberg said that a marijuana joint found next to Lloyd’s body contained DNA from both Lloyd and Hernandez. They also say that a footprint matching Hernandez’s shoe was found at the murder scene in the industrial park in North Attleboro where Lloyd was killed. Hernandez’s DNA was also said to have been found on a .45-caliber shell casing in the car he rented.

Glad they found some hard evidence to keep this idiot in prison.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Jury deliberations have begun...far from a slam dunk.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If the jury comes back with guilty on 1st degree murder, he has life without parole.

If the jury comes back with guilty on 2nd degree murder, he can be paroled after 15 years.
[/FONT]

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
A LOT of circumstantial evidence. No motive was established. No murder weapon. His attorney admitted that he was there and witnessed it and got scared. I just don't see 1st Degree on this one.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Regardless of the verdict, he'll still have to stand trial for two other murders in Boston that occurred a year before Odin Lloyd's murder.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
A LOT of circumstantial evidence. No motive was established. No murder weapon. His attorney admitted that he was there and witnessed it and got scared. I just don't see 1st Degree on this one.
So according to Hernandez's lawyer Aaron witnessed the murder but won't say who did it? Sounds plausible :skeptical:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
all 3 of them probably pumped a few shots in him considering there was 6 bullets in the victim.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
All of the bullets were from the same gun.

a glock with 6 bullets and they all want the guy dead but you cant find the murder weapon with all the prints on it is a real good possibility.