*** Official Kansas State vs #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Watson is typically way more valuable (this year). In fact, on a per minute basis, he's (statistically) the most valuable player on the team (edit: I was thinking Ward but correctly typed Watson...this obviously is not correct as Ward is statistically our best play in this particular regard).

King's problem on the boards, if you hone in on him consistently, is he will often mistime his jumps. It's almost comical sometimes as he will jump both early and late, only to give up a rebound he probably should have had. I'm sure there are other players like that around college basketball, but King is the only player where it's stood out so vividly and consistently to where I know he's doing it (by name).

Part of Ward's issue is he is often out of position to rebound and that's not entirely his fault. He's an excellent perimeter defender for his size and will often stay on guards on a switch. Also, and this is sometimes positive and sometimes negative, Ward often leaves his feet on shots. Whether he's flashing to the perimeter, trying to block a shot down low, etc it often means he's compromised positionally or can't properly gather himself to go for the board.

Then there's Jones. Between his lack of hops and bad hands, he misses out on some easy boards. There was that one play last night where it looked like he tried to corral the rebound by dribbling the ball and it promptly went out of bounds. Sometimes he just needs to grab the ******* ball. LOL.
I like reading your posts when you are not in reactionary mode. But I have to say there is only so much time to work on things.. And you are pretty hard on TJ most posts. So where would you have him spend more time? Offensive sets? Rebounding? Defense? Inbounds? Knowing that if he spends more time on that it could affect something that is working.

I mean this staff by all accounts locally and nationally have outperformed their expectations every single year and are trending that way this year IMO. Look for the good sometimes instead of always thinking you could do no wrong in his position. I bet you'll enjoy Cyclone sports more.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like reading your posts when you are not in reactionary mode. But I have to say there is only so much time to work on things.. And you are pretty hard on TJ most posts. So where would you have him spend more time? Offensive sets? Rebounding? Defense? Inbounds? Knowing that if he spends more time on that it could affect something that is working.

I mean this staff by all accounts locally and nationally have outperformed their expectations every single year and are trending that way this year IMO. Look for the good sometimes instead of always thinking you could do no wrong in his position. I bet you'll enjoy Cyclone sports more.

Basketball is one of the most 'nothing happens like it should' kind of games and it's an absolute rarity for a team even full of hall of fame coaches and McD's AAs not be vulnerable somewhere and even then, it can all go wrong in one game. Otherwise someone like Coach K would have won at least 10 titles.

ISU's on the verge of making 3 consecutive tourneys for just the third time ever. It should be seen as quite an accomplishment imo.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Basketball is one of the most 'nothing happens like it should' kind of games and it's an absolute rarity for a team even full of hall of fame coaches and McD's AAs not be vulnerable somewhere and even then, it can all go wrong in one game. Otherwise someone like Coach K would have won at least 10 titles.

ISU's on the verge of making 3 consecutive tourneys for just the third time ever. It should be seen as quite an accomplishment imo.
Especially with what TJ inherited and the short amount of time he had to put that 1st roster together. Iowa State's had some great coaches, but when it's all said and done I bet he's recognized as #1.

Reactions: NENick and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I used to be one of those guys but I may be coming around.

If he's hear for the long haul I think it may be the smart philosophy. It definitely was tonight, especially keeping the players from freaking out like KSU players did.

As a first year coach in the Big 12 I don't think it did us any favors.

I think getting T'd up in a first half in a weird game is fine.

Last ten minutes in a tight game is just wrong.

Tang's approach last night was something special though.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
So we're not a terrific rebounding team, ranked 189th in the nation. But we're ranked 29th in holding our opponents to low rebounding numbers. I think our TO% is top in the country but total TOs per game we're at 360/363.

I couldn't find the rebound percentage but just showing those stats, you can see that our high TO rate just limits the amounts of rebounds we're able to gather.
Correct. Pure rebounding numbers don’t really tell the story because they don’t account for shot volume. TOS factor into this as does pace of play.

Reactions: madguy30

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I guess I am not as knowledgeable as ZRF, of course none of us are as knowledgeable as ZRF. The man is an encyclopedia of ISU faults!;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NENick

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Lots of posts to go through and a late night so just getting around to the Rulzzz prediction awards. Most of the scores predictions weren't far off. A few of you need to play the lottery with how good you are at this

Cyclones 68-58

Need a to start strong again just like the Houston and TCU games. Big win at home coming, Cyclones 74-65!

ISU 82
KSU 69

71-62 ISU

From a metrics perspective:
kenpom has us ~9 point better on a neutral court, so we'd be a 13-15 point favorite depending on what you think of the home court advantage

haslametrics is predicting a 72-59 win

So, to win the new car, I'll say ISU 73, KSU 68. Assuming no Lipsey.

Line went from -7.5 to -9!

My confidence went from 7.5 to a 10!

69-60 GOOOO Cyclones!

It was this for much of 2nd half
I fully expect this to be a 5-8 pt dog fight win.

Top 2 were @nrg4isu who was 3 points off the actual

Oh if a car is at stake...

I'll go with 80 - 68. Milan finds his groove.

and the champ with just 2 points of the actual @t-noah

Big game, every conference game is, but a must win at home, likely w/o Tamin again. We should win this one, should and will are often different in league play.

Iowa State 79 - KSU 68

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Lots of posts to go through and a late night so just getting around to the Rulzzz prediction awards. Most of the scores predictions weren't far off. A few of you need to play the lottery with how good you are at this

It was this for much of 2nd half

Top 2 were @nrg4isu who was 3 points off the actual

and the champ with just 2 points of the actual @t-noah

Damn, just missed a brand new car. I was hoping for a dunk as time expired. Would have made Tangs head explode!

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The presser was fine. It’s just that Tang’s in game unprofessional behavior made you wonder how he could have such a magical five minute transformation.
TJ was smart enough not to acknowledge Tang’s weird conspiracy theory (if one was really alleged) and just move on.
Sometimes the easiest way to show people that another guy is nutso is to completely discount their rants in public and act like it never happened. TJ doesn't need to respond to paranoid made up crap.