*** Official Kansas State vs #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I think the issue with that comparison is that **** is a significantly better athlete, which gives him a higher ceiling as a well-rounded scorer. I think if we're talking about recent comparisons, the better comp for MM is Doug McDermott, who was still a lottery pick, but only after four college seasons and a lot of high-level scoring (albeit with a lower level of competition).

I agree with you about MM posting up more, and frankly, I'd say being more involved generally. He led the team with 19 points last night, but I honestly felt like they were a quiet 19 points, and they weren't making a point of getting it to him in scoring situations. That being said, I guess he's also taken a bit to get acclimated to Big 12 play. Last night was the first where he really seemed comfortable the entire game (and even then, he still missed those couple of big free throws).

I'll add that he also played really good defense last night when matched up with Kaluma. I was pretty skeptical when I saw them matched up early on, but MM really held his own.

I agree to an extent about ****, especially with his footwork/lateral quickness, but I never really viewed (still don't) **** as a (generally) great or superior athlete, especially not by NBA standards. The shooting percentages don't necessarily show it yet, but I think Milan has a superior shot and release. His ability to shoot over anybody, especially with the fadeaway, is a special NBA level skill. I also think, while not a superior athlete, Milan's athleticism has been a little undersold. I also think he's a smarter, more headier basketball player than Gradey.

We'll see. But if he can show he can post up, especially with that fade away, he will definitely get talked about more. I also think, should he come back, his 3P shooting will be 45% percent, which is elite for any level. Those two skills would be highly valued, especailly with passable defense.

Reactions: MJ271

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Especially with what TJ inherited and the short amount of time he had to put that 1st roster together. Iowa State's had some great coaches, but when it's all said and done I bet he's recognized as #1.
Stealing signals will tarnish his image forever.

• Haha
Reactions: wintersmd

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I like reading your posts when you are not in reactionary mode. But I have to say there is only so much time to work on things.. And you are pretty hard on TJ most posts. So where would you have him spend more time? Offensive sets? Rebounding? Defense? Inbounds? Knowing that if he spends more time on that it could affect something that is working.

I mean this staff by all accounts locally and nationally have outperformed their expectations every single year and are trending that way this year IMO. Look for the good sometimes instead of always thinking you could do no wrong in his position. I bet you'll enjoy Cyclone sports more.

I don't disagree on the reactionary part. A lot of posting is in the moment and I can definitely fall into the trap of verbalizing things in an aggressive tone. Guilty as charged.

TJ has done a masterful job in program management, from getting better talent, getting the talent as a collective to buy into playing hard, and instilling some kind of identity with the team. In judging the overall body of work he has done a tremendous job and I've never really said anything to the contrary.

My gripes with TJ come when the games start. This isn't just a TJ thing, but I think coaches (in general) have this mindset where "the coaching happens before the game" and they mostly just let things "play themselves out" on the court. I've never been a fan of this line of thinking and HATE when coaches, regardless of sport, repeat the same in game mistakes over and over again when there is data and or video evidence to suggest otherwise. Admittedly, especially in the case of injuries, there can be things they are privy to and we aren't,

Sometimes I think TJ is guilty of rewarding players who play hard yet don't have the on court performance or athletic profile to justify their playing time or spot in a particular rotation. Last year that was BRE who was, for most of the conference season, one of the worst statistical basketball players in the conference. Meanwhile King, who was far more valuable for the same stretch of games, played less minutes. I also thought he didn't use Watson or Ward nearly enough, especially in games with leads (where their defensive abilities were even more valuable). This year he is playing Pavs who simply lacks the combination of size, athletic talent, and skills to be valuable at the Big 12 level. Maybe he can get there next year, but there simply isn't any rationale to dictate Pavs seeing minutes over Watson. While foul trouble sometimes limits his minutes, I also think Ward should be on the court until he's in foul trouble or can't physically move. Last game Ward limited his own minutes with foul trouble but there have been plenty of games where he was limited in minutes without an obvious explanation. Ward has been the best player on the team, on a per minute basis, and needs to be on the floor as much as possible. Get him to learn how to expand his role, conserve energy smartly (when possible) and stay out of foul trouble. Come tournament time if Ward can play 30 minutes a game it greatly enhances our chances of advancement. That much is guaranteed.

I'm not a fan of some of his rotational selections, specifically combinations of players, as there are a few that are almost always problematic when used exessively. I don't think we work the pick and roll nearly enough with Ward and would like to see Milan used more in post up situations. As always, our offense can be stagnant and think a little bit of structure, at times, would help keep us out of some doldrums. I also don't think he utilizes his timeouts, both with timing, and with the execution of some set plays afterward.

If coaches are going to be on the bench I'd like to see them attempt to manage the game and insert a little bit of (positive) influence on the outcome. Some may think I just have an axe to grind with TJ, I don't. In general I think coaches don't do a good enough job in this realm. As an example Drew used to be BRUTAL as an in-game manager. He always recruited well but Baylor consistently underperformed. Their ascension can be largely attributed to better backcourt play and game management. The way Drew manages games now compared to 7-10 years ago is like night and day. IMO it's had a tremendously positive impact one the program and its result.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I don't disagree on the reactionary part. A lot of posting is in the moment and I can definitely fall into the trap of verbalizing things in an aggressive tone. Guilty as charged.

TJ has done a masterful job in program management, from getting better talent, getting the talent as a collective to buy into playing hard, and instilling some kind of identity with the team. In judging the overall body of work he has done a tremendous job and I've never really said anything to the contrary.

My gripes with TJ come when the games start. This isn't just a TJ thing, but I think coaches (in general) have this mindset where "the coaching happens before the game" and they mostly just let things "play themselves out" on the court. I've never been a fan of this line of thinking and HATE when coaches, regardless of sport, repeat the same in game mistakes over and over again when there is data and or video evidence to suggest otherwise. Admittedly, especially in the case of injuries, there can be things they are privy to and we aren't,

Sometimes I think TJ is guilty of rewarding players who play hard yet don't have the on court performance or athletic profile to justify their playing time or spot in a particular rotation. Last year that was BRE who was, for most of the conference season, one of the worst statistical basketball players in the conference. Meanwhile King, who was far more valuable for the same stretch of games, played less minutes. I also thought he didn't use Watson or Ward nearly enough, especially in games with leads (where their defensive abilities were even more valuable). This year he is playing Pavs who simply lacks the combination of size, athletic talent, and skills to be valuable at the Big 12 level. Maybe he can get there next year, but there simply isn't any rationale to dictate Pavs seeing minutes over Watson. While foul trouble sometimes limits his minutes, I also think Ward should be on the court until he's in foul trouble or can't physically move. Last game Ward limited his own minutes with foul trouble but there have been plenty of games where he was limited in minutes without an obvious explanation. Ward has been the best player on the team, on a per minute basis, and needs to be on the floor as much as possible. Get him to learn how to expand his role, conserve energy smartly (when possible) and stay out of foul trouble. Come tournament time if Ward can play 30 minutes a game it greatly enhances our chances of advancement. That much is guaranteed.

I'm not a fan of some of his rotational selections, specifically combinations of players, as there are a few that are almost always problematic when used exessively. I don't think we work the pick and roll nearly enough with Ward and would like to see Milan used more in post up situations. As always, our offense can be stagnant and think a little bit of structure, at times, would help keep us out of some doldrums. I also don't think he utilizes his timeouts, both with timing, and with the execution of some set plays afterward.

If coaches are going to be on the bench I'd like to see them attempt to manage the game and insert a little bit of (positive) influence on the outcome. Some may think I just have an axe to grind with TJ, I don't. In general I think coaches don't do a good enough job in this realm. As an example Drew used to be BRUTAL as an in-game manager. He always recruited well but Baylor consistently underperformed. Their ascension can be largely attributed to better backcourt play and game management. The way Drew manages games now compared to 7-10 years ago is like night and day. IMO it's had a tremendously positive impact one the program and its result.
Are you gonna be the guy next year that's gonna say something to the effect "TJ should have played Pav more last year because blah blah blah?"

• Dumb
Reactions: ZRF

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I agree to an extent about ****, especially with his footwork/lateral quickness, but I never really viewed (still don't) **** as a (generally) great or superior athlete, especially not by NBA standards. The shooting percentages don't necessarily show it yet, but I think Milan has a superior shot and release. His ability to shoot over anybody, especially with the fadeaway, is a special NBA level skill. I also think, while not a superior athlete, Milan's athleticism has been a little undersold. I also think he's a smarter, more headier basketball player than Gradey.

We'll see. But if he can show he can post up, especially with that fade away, he will definitely get talked about more. I also think, should he come back, his 3P shooting will be 45% percent, which is elite for any level. Those two skills would be highly valued, especailly with passable defense.
By NBA standards, **** certainly isn't anything special, but I feel like there's a pretty big difference to being in the 30th percentile of NBA athleticism than the 10th percentile. (I didn't put a ton of consideration into those numbers, just more of a thought exercise.)

I do seem to remember **** throwing down some pretty good dunks. Barttorvik says he went 15-16 on dunks last year. For comparison, that would have been 3rd for Iowa State last year (behind Osun and Ward). For a similar-number comparison, Tyrese Hunter was 16-17 on dunks in 21/22, and King has 15 so far this season. Momcilovic ic, as we know, has zero dunk attempts this season. Dunks obviously don't reflect athleticism perfectly, but I figure it's the main stat available for college players that would correlate well with athleticism.

Reactions: ZRF and rosshm16

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is there anyone out there that can confirm that TJ just sort of 'let's the game play out' and doesn't attempt to insert a positive influence?

Aren't there a few that have ties to the program? @Statefan10 @dahliaclone

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
…that’s what you took away from his post?
Well, ya. "my gripe with TJ . . ." Everybody has an opinion and that's fine, but some on here missed their true calling because they also have all the answers. It's never "I wonder how it would have worked out if . . ." it's more like "If we did it my way . . ." and their perspective is always based on after the fact.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ain’t nobody reading that whole thing.

I have to wonder what things would have been like had CF been around for some of ISU's better teams from the mid-late 90s/early 2000s because holy **** were a boatload of their games far from masterpieces.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I have to wonder what things would have been like had CF been around for some of ISU's better teams from the mid-late 90s/early 2000s because holy **** were a boatload of their games far from masterpieces.

The server probably would have crashed during/after the Nov. 1999 Drake game.

• Haha
Reactions: stateofmind

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
…that’s what you took away from his post?
What I took from it is that TJ would be a great assistant coach, but does nothing right once the game tips off. ZRF just listed pretty much every in-game responsibility of a head coach as being sub-par. And yet the team is 15-4, 4-2. Smoke & mirrors, I guess.

Also, I don't go back and look for old posts, but I bet you could find ZRF bashing CJones a month ago. Maybe TJ and the staff know what they're doing. I agree that Pav shouldn't start, but maybe the coaches believe playing him several minutes each game provides the experience that will result in solid improvement in the future.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What I took from it is that TJ would be a great assistant coach, but does nothing right once the game tips off. ZRF just listed pretty much every in-game responsibility of a head coach as being sub-par. And yet the team is 15-4, 4-2. Smoke & mirrors, I guess.

Also, I don't go back and look for old posts, but I bet you could find ZRF bashing CJones a month ago. Maybe TJ and the staff know what they're doing. I agree that Pav shouldn't start, but maybe the coaches believe playing him several minutes each game provides the experience that will result in solid improvement in the future.

And will defend writing things like 'C. Jones is pathetic and shouldn't be getting minutes over XYZ player' as not bashing or being negative.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny

TL;DID read... :)
Yep, he will get better and better. His whole life is built around building better habits.

Rob is SO much better this year. Why? Coaching/PT/hard-work. He isn't great, but his leadership is invaluable to this team. I think Pav has done amazing. 4.5 ppg, 1.5 RB, .7 TO, 41% from 3. He is obviously helping lower Tamin's minutes as he has been hurt most of the year.

I love Watson, such a bright spot and the reason Omaha doesn't see more time. But I have no issues with Pav and his minutes this year.

Summary is relax and be a fan, not such a critic. Nothing that you type here will change TJ. Just your perception amongst other fans.