Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
He’s not setting a screen he’s rolling to the basket and there was incidental contact resulting in Kris getting knocked to the ground. I think a foul could’ve been called but it would’ve been pretty weak.
Would love to see the reaction on here if Iowa did that and it was a no call that resulted in a wide open three pointer.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I admittedly do not watch every Iowa game. But it seems like Murray has multiple airballs in every game I watch. Have I witnessed an anomaly or does he have more airballs than most?

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Yeah he’d already screened and was rolling to the hoop.

I love that Iowa fans are still convinced the big 10 is this super physical conference and no calls like that are an abomination. That’s every possession in the big 12 and the fact they can’t handle it means they’ll get bounced in the first weekend every time.

What's new?

Eastern iowa hasn't made the Sweet 16 in over 24 years. What a sad program.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
And to be fair, last year ISU housed Iowa and Iowa went on to have a better season, but with their roster and experience, they should have.

What's different is ISU didn't do anything statistically abnormal when they beat Iowa.

Iowa picked up their first Quad 1 win on February 19th last year. They racked up a lot of wins against bad teams which credit to last year's Hoks as this year they've lost two of those (Eastern Illinois, Nebraska).

Last edited:

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Iowa fans last year: I know you went to the Sweet 16, boat raced us at Hilton and had an historic turn-around but we had the better year.

Iowa fans this year: I know you’re on verge of top 10 with a much stronger resume, but we beat you head to head so we’re the better team.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I admittedly do not watch every Iowa game. But it seems like Murray has multiple airballs in every game I watch. Have I witnessed an anomaly or does he have more airballs than most?
He had a few last night and I thought it was uncharacteristic of him. I don't recall him having a lot. Even airballed a wide open look too.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
6 TO seems important in a low 60s game.
I didn't notice the turnovers in the box score initially. You're right, that is inexcusable for a starting point guard. I rescind my original post complimenting Ulis, and uphold that he is trash at the P6 level.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Checked the box score.

3-17 from 3
6-13 from the line.

Izzy said they were probably fortunate to win.

That’s all the good stuff.

Michigan State was definitely fortunate to win. They shot 38% from 2PT. That is abysmal and their starting backcourt combined to go 7-26 from the field. Yuck.

Murray got neutralized by Malik Hall. That was a big difference on the offensive end for Iowa. Murray look flustered.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Louisville in dead last with a 2-18 record. My, how times have changed.
Right. That is a program that has flirted with blue blood status over the course of time. They must be abysmal to be ranked sub 300

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Michigan State was definitely fortunate to win. They shot 38% from 2PT. That is abysmal and their starting backcourt combined to go 7-26 from the field. Yuck.

Murray got neutralized by Malik Hall. That was a big difference on the offensive end for Iowa. Murray look flustered.
Hall is a freak athlete that is stronger and faster than Kris and he played really aggressive in your face defense on him. Took Kris out of his game for sure as Kris couldn't shoot over him or drive around him. Usually Kris can either do both of those things or one of those things in a game.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
That's the whole point! Iowa has unsurpassed fan support for wrestling. Don't ISU fans brag about having better fan support for men's bball than Iowa fans do?
PSU would argue your point.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
6 TO seems important in a low 60s game.

Interesting game for Ulis. He hit a lot of big shots for Iowa on a cold shooting night but the turnovers and missed free throws in crunch time were huge. I still think he was their best guard last night despite the turnovers though.

Last edited:

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
What? Even if he doesn't knock him down, that is as illegal as a screen can get.
Thing is, he wasn’t screening…He was rolling to the basket and Murray just kind of fell over. No fight in him at all, just like the second half for him, too. Played weak and scared it seemed.

• Agree
Reactions: legi

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not blaming the loss on officials. Iowa lost this game with poor FT and 3 point shooting. But how do you miss these?

1. You gotta play better defense if you're Murray. Not in legal guarding position. Get that weak **** outta here, this is the Big 10.
2. Iowa player flops trying to sell a moving screen that was maybe barely a moving screen...and fails.

Too bad.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Way worse. Not even close actually.
It is way worse than Prohm. We aren't playing in a pandemic. Nobody's wearing masks anymore and fans are being allowed back inside gyms. Prohm and the team was awful that year, but they didn't have any buy games, outside of the 2 that that they won. They would have won 5 or 6 games under normal conditions, I think.

Not sure who Louisville's coach is right now, but must not be good. Either that or the Chris Mack and Rick Pitino scandals put them really far behind the 8 ball.