Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa state beat five ranked opponents last year. The Hawkeyes beat two.

Iowa state won two games in the big dance. Iowa won zero.

Sweet 16 appearance > conference tourney title.

I should have worded it differently...more of 'on the surface' I guess.

ISU did those things but had some major bumps like super low scoring games, etc.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I should have worded it differently...more of 'on the surface' I guess.

ISU did those things but had some major bumps like super low scoring games, etc.
Our season was a little more up and down but I think a lot of that had to do with it being the first year those guys had played together, a brand new staff + first year head coach, and playing in the best league in America.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Our season was a little more up and down but I think a lot of that had to do with it being the first year those guys had played together, a brand new staff + first year head coach, and playing in the best league in America.

Yeah and ISU's season should have had a lot of that but throughout it all they were tough.
Anything ISU or the B12 does doesn't phase B1G fans though. If/when the B1G gets like 9 teams in the tourney they won't be able to talk enough about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah and ISU's season should have had a lot of that but throughout it all they were tough.
Anything ISU or the B12 does doesn't phase B1G fans though. If/when the B1G gets like 9 teams in the tourney they won't be able to talk enough about it.
Oh for sure lol and 75% of those teams will be an 8 seed or higher. Big 12 is going to have probably 6 teams at the 5 seed and above.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Even the 2020 season before COVID was a thing, the fan support was waning big time in Hilton and rightfully so. ISU wasn't very good that year either.
Just under 14,000 people showed up to the West Virginia game at Hilton on Tuesday 3/3, the last home game of the season you’re referring to.

Iowa had just over 13,000 show up this last Sunday vs Maryland.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'll give credit to Ulis tonight, after Lipsey broke his ankles on a crossover, followed by shattering his hip after the fall, I thought his career was over as a P6 athlete. 8/10 1/1 18 points 3 assists and 2 rebounds is a pretty damn good line for your starting point guard. Maybe there is hope for him still.
6 TO seems important in a low 60s game.

• Agree

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Iowa is average. Just like nearly every year they are above average on offense, bad on defense, below average athletically, and generally an older team with little roster turnover year to year. That gets you wins early in the year and against teams that really struggle offensively or play below average defense.
Just like their recruiting classes. It all starts with that. (Average)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They are not really good, they are pretty bad, and occasionally play well enough to win barely or come up just short
No, Iowa has is not a good basketball team. If you look at all of their "big" wins, they've had to have hot shooting for every one of them. They aren't going to grind out a win against a good team.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
No, Iowa has is not a good basketball team. If you look at all of their "big" wins, they've had to have hot shooting for every one of them. They aren't going to grind out a win against a good team.
They'd have beat Michigan State by 20 if it was a home game, they'd have shot better AND shot a ton of FTs there like they almost always do.

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The B1G is benefiting from the ACC being awful. No,the B1G isn't good either but look at the ACC's NET. One Team in the top 25 and ten teams outside the top 50. This is historically bad for what has been considered the premier basketball conference.

1674828395243.png

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The B1G is benefiting from the ACC being awful. No,the B1G isn't good either but look at the ACC's NET. One Team in the top 25 and ten teams outside the top 50. This is historically bad for what has been considered the premier basketball conference.

View attachment 108841

Louisville in dead last with a 2-18 record. My, how times have changed.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
But but but LeBron Hepburn… I mean, Chucky Hepburn got hurt!
In their defense I remember how much iowa fans and the big ten media defended us when Chris Babb got hurt against Ohio State. Or how about when Georges Niang broke his ankle against NC Central?

Remember how the local media and hok fans pounded the table about how ISU was obviously an elite team and how unfair it was that our opponents got such an easy draw? Remember how they wouldn't let our opponents hear the end of it?

Oh wait... that's right... The exact opposite happened. Weird.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

View attachment 108841

Yep again it's a reflection of college bball being down.

Football season was similar. All sorts of average teams.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron