*** Official IOWA STATE vs #4 TCU Game(Day) Thread ***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was my third game of the year (IUPUI, Wofford and ULL).

Penn and Wilkins both played tonight. Penn is not up to his normal self (6 points) yet, but Wilkins (21 points) had a solid game. Go with your dad whenever you can. They are fun to watch!

fyi: Cannot wait to go to the St. John's @ ISU game next Sunday! Obviously, I am a ISU fan first, but I live in DSM, so it is just easier to go to Bulldogs games.

Drake season tkts are pretty darn reasonable aren't they?

Reactions: AlaCyclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
TCU was classless running up the score. I understand why they did it, but it was bush league. I suspect Campbell wont forget it either.

Sorry but I disagree. They've been screwed over in the CFP before. They need every margin they can get. Our team forgot to play FB today and got trucked. I don't know if it's on the coaches or the players but they didn't seem to be ready for today's game. That's not TCU's fault.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I seriously don’t think there will be that much media hype, at least “positive” hype, going into next year. The only thing the media likes more than positively hyping a coach is tearing them down. Ask Steve Prohm or Scott Frost how long that good will and positive print lasted. Matt Campbell is clearly on the hot seat going into next season.
I truly hope the dozen people on here who are talking this way are the only ones this ignorant. Matt Campbell has been Big 12 Coach of the Year three times since 2017. We (Iowa State) would look incredibly stupid to even remotely suggest he is in danger of losing his job at this point.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I truly hope the dozen people on here who are talking this way are the only ones this ignorant. Matt Campbell has been Big 12 Coach of the Year three times since 2017. We (Iowa State) would look incredibly stupid to even remotely suggest he is in danger of losing his job at this point.
This is the correct take.

I will say though if zero changes are made with offensive coaching staff and special teams absolutely suck again we'll be having a different conversation a year from now. Stubborn and pride is one thing but when it costs the program multiple years that has to stop.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Two things can be true at the same time. We can recognize that he has earned the chance to turn it around while also acknowledging that when a programs trajectory is this way its generally not very likely it recovers under the current coach.

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022
If you think there is going to be a lot of positive media hype, or positive karma going into next season, you are the ignorant one. We just came off a 4 win season. We just got our *** handed to us with a 48 point season ending loss. We just finished 10th in a 10 team league. I WANT Matt Campbell to succeed. More importantly, I want ISU to succeed. CMC has not shown a willingness to address deficiencies with his staff or program…so far. Will he make changes? I don’t know. If he doesn’t, I’m confident we’ll see more seasons like this one. You can call that ignorant…I call it reality.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
CMC is not on the hot seat with Pollard. I suspect he would be given 2, or even 3 more years of 4-8 and still wouldn’t be replaced.

Buckle up, I think we have a worse team next year and CMC will not be at risk.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
TCU was classless running up the score. I understand why they did it, but it was bush league. I suspect Campbell wont forget it either.
TCU was screwed out of the CFP in 2014 due to “lack of data points”. In reality it was an excuse to open up a spot to get Ohio State in. But this year TCU is not taking chances and has to get style points to comply with the “data points” argument. Finebaum, Stephen A Smith, and pro SEC/Big Ten media are going to put out propaganda all week on how TCU doesn’t deserve to be in so TCU has to do what it can individually control and run up the style points. It sucks for ISU to be on the other end but we would do the same thing if in their position.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Meh.

Two of the TDs were on pick 6s. That is 100% on ISU. So, TCU was 48-14 the rest of the way compared to last year's win by ISU 48-13 in Ames.

It wasn't "Bush League". It was "Kick Butt" League. I wish ISU could be invited back to that League!

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
There are more bowls than eligible teams. If you have a pulse you qualify. Best coach ever? I’ll still take Majors or Bruce any day.
Yeah, nothing like the good ole days. I'm guessing you might think Vince Lombardi was the best NFL coach ever.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Meh.
P
Two of the TDs were on pick 6s. That is 100% on ISU. So, TCU was 48-14 the rest of the way compared to last year's win by ISU 48-13 in Ames.

It wasn't "Bush League". It was "Kick Butt" League. I wish ISU could be invited back to that League!
Plus the short fields on the kickoff return and hike over the punters head, 62 points are not unreasonable. Our DBs got exposed yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaCyclone

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010

TCU had good reason to run up the score. Can’t blame them given that they need to overcome the CFP committee’s biases.

The most classless thing I saw — and dare I say, one-star culture ******** — was using all three timeouts right before the half just to delay TCU’s inevitable touchdown.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
TCU had good reason to run up the score. Can’t blame them given that they need to overcome the CFP committee’s biases.

The most classless thing I saw — and dare I say, one-star culture ******** — was using all three timeouts right before the half just to delay TCU’s inevitable touchdown.
Lol. Did you even pay attention to that sequence? All those timeouts were needed. They weren't just back to back to back, just delaying the inevitable.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
No, people like you need to realize who is really being ignorant. And be ready for some difficult discussions.

I loved the CMC hire. But he started losing me in 2020.

We make the same mistakes as in year 1.

We are unprepared, and never look smooth on offense.

Our special teams and oline are worse than ever.

We cannot run a 2 minute drill.

Our playcalling and coaching philosophy are predictable.

We play scared, trying not to lose, instead of simply going for the win.

CMC has only once shown a capacity for adaptation, and that was probably due to Heacock's urging.

We didn't even try different things during this whole year, and nobody showed improvement. Nobody.

We looked worse at the end, with more coaching.

If you look at an honest assessment of CMC, you realize mediocre coaching, preparation, and execution were overcome by extreme talent at certain skill positions, namely running back.

If the market deems him such a great commodity, why isn't he still being named with job openings? Exactly.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
CMC is not on the hot seat with Pollard. I suspect he would be given 2, or even 3 more years of 4-8 and still wouldn’t be replaced.

Buckle up, I think we have a worse team next year and CMC will not be at risk.
Sadly, I think you are correct.

And while I love what he has done at ISU, one huge fault of JP is that he might be more arrogant and stubborn than Matt Campbell even.

He is so reluctant to ever make the change because he doesn't want it to look like he might have made a mistake with the hire in the first place.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No, people like you need to realize who is really being ignorant. And be ready for some difficult discussions.

I loved the CMC hire. But he started losing me in 2020.

We make the same mistakes as in year 1.

We are unprepared, and never look smooth on offense.

Our special teams and oline are worse than ever.

We cannot run a 2 minute drill.

Our playcalling and coaching philosophy are predictable.

We play scared, trying not to lose, instead of simply going for the win.

CMC has only once shown a capacity for adaptation, and that was probably due to Heacock's urging.

We didn't even try different things during this whole year, and nobody showed improvement. Nobody.

We looked worse at the end, with more coaching.

If you look at an honest assessment of CMC, you realize mediocre coaching, preparation, and execution were overcome by extreme talent at certain skill positions, namely running back.

If the market deems him such a great commodity, why isn't he still being named with job openings? Exactly.
I seriously hope we keep Campbell forever so this never ends. :campbell::campbell::campbell: