You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hickory Park 2.0 was on Duff too, just further North. It was dark and old school and awesome. HP3.0 is now a machine and great if you have kids, otherwise I’d rather go to Jethros or Cornbred.
Hickory Park was in a building right on SE 16th Street before they moved into the current building (which was Bonanza before) so their previous building was just south of the current building - like just across their parking lot south.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Said manager is childhood friend of mine. I don’t think the food changed w move fwiw at least not right after the move.
R.S.? Small state. Yeah, food/service was solid until his kids took over after he passed and they changed mgmt and wasn't long til they sold it off.

I squeezed plenty of those lemons for the ade. Great memories and planted the BBQ dream in my cholesterol filled heart.

Reactions: VeloClone

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I late 90s it was like that and dominoes matched the 3/10.99 deal.

Gumby’s had a decent deal on one pizza but hometeam and dominoes were the cheapest food in town if you got 3.
My freshman year in 97, from the coupon book, it was 3 medium Domino's pizzas for $7.99 because we would all put in $3 each to include the tip. It was also an extra $.50 for deep dish, which most of us did. Went up every year after that.

Reactions: Macloney

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My freshman year in 97, from the coupon book, it was 3 medium Domino's pizzas for $7.99 because we would all put in $3 each to include the tip. It was also an extra $.50 for deep dish, which most of us did. Went up every year after that.

Sounds accurate, I’m same year. And the dominoes of that era was some extremely average pizza but $3 is $3.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
At Happy Joe's Hank had a standing coupon for several years weekly in the Daily. It was an $8 medium coupon in every Wednesday's Daily. We would staff up every Wednesday night because we would sell a metric buttload of medium pizzas every Wednesday night.

Reactions: NWICY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sounds accurate, I’m same year. And the dominoes of that era was some extremely average pizza but $3 is $3.

Yeah, that was before they did their whole "we know our pizza sucked, check out our new stuff" campaign. They were right, it was low quality, but that happened to fit the college demo really well

[email protected]

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 22, 2008
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Agree with already mentioned in no particular order: Broiler, George's Pizza, Dugan's Deli....Two not mentioned: Sambo's for 24 hour breakfast and noon's at Lange's Lunch

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Hickory Park was in a building right on SE 16th Street before they moved into the current building (which was Bonanza before) so their previous building was just south of the current building - like just across their parking lot south.
Bet no one knows where the forerunner of hickory park is. Back in the 60s

Mar 21, 2021
back in winter of 92-92, the McDonalds west on Lincoln Way had a deal where they gave away BigMacs based on the temperature outside with the baseline being something like 10 degrees. Anything below that was free. Ate a lot of Big Macs that January.
That $1 Double Cheesburger deal McDs had for years
Burger Baron?
Yeah, that sounds right. About all I remember is the burgers were tasty, it was dark down there, and they weren't in biz very long.