Results are only viewable after voting.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This article is pretty one sided. Farmers don’t have to buy from the big companies that have intellectual property protection. There are public varieties that aren’t patent protected available developed by universities. The reality is when people replant the seeds there is less funding that goes into research. Also those “evil” companies are pouring billions into addressing crop response to climate change by developing drought/heat tolerance, disease tolerance, increased fertilizer efficiency, etc
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it illegal to hold over Big Ag seed to plant the next near?
Can you do that with conventional seed?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That's not Iowa specific but it's a larger overview of my point. I actually tried, you're just hurling insults from a position of supposed authority.

It's a vast field of study and application I would never claim to be an authority despite more than thirty years working in it. Do you understand why people like myself might not want to want to engage someone with strong feelings and a couple internet links?

I actually do share your concern for soil conservation and water protection, but you seem to prefer to pick a fight. I do take exception to any claim I am just hurling insults your way. I would appreciate you pointing them out to me.

Reactions: aauummm and royalcy

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it illegal to hold over Big Ag seed to plant the next near?
Can you do that with conventional seed?
You can if you buy conventional public lines yes.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
How are those companies supposed to come up with the money if people can replant their seeds every year? Also with corn production for example we plant hybrid seeds. You can’t replant field corn and get the same results you get from buying seed produced by a company it doesn’t work that way.
I think I understand what you're saying. That was my point. I doubt you could be competitive by going against the grain of the industry.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's a vast field of study and application I would never claim to be an authority despite more than thirty years working in it. Do you understand why people like myself might not want to want to engage someone with strong feelings and a couple internet links?

I actually do share your concern for soil conservation and water protection, but you seem to prefer to pick a fight. I do take exception to any claim I am just hurling insults your way. I would appreciate you pointing them out to me.
You were talking down to me and even suggested making fun of my profession. I admitted to hyperbole and posted a link with information in it. I'm not in your position, I don't get this information handed to me. I'm at the mercy of search engines. I like getting real information from people. I don't think you've read my posts in total and I don't expect you to but don't jerk off about your credentials and suggest belittling me because I have differing opinions than you.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I think I understand what you're saying. That was my point. I doubt you could be competitive by going against the grain of the industry.
I will be transparent with you. I work in research for one of the big ag companies. We are spending billions a year on R&D. A lot of it to come up with products that can adapt to climate change. We wouldn’t have the money to spend on that if farmers kept their seed and planted it. Public lines are being developed for people to buy and replant but the rate at which those come out is significantly slower because there isn’t the money to spend on R&D. That comes from grants and university funds

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I will be transparent with you. I work in research for one of the big ag companies. We are spending billions a year on R&D. A lot of it to come up with products that can adapt to climate change. We wouldn’t have the money to spend on that if farmers kept their seed and planted it. Public lines are being developed for people to buy and replant but the rate at which those come out is significantly slower because there isn’t the money to spend on R&D. That comes from grants and university funds
Thank you, this is a fantastic contribution to the thread.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This guy by no means is a big farmer or anything but he has an interesting YouTube channel I occasionally watch. He takes on a light hearted approach to his videos and tries to break down what he does in simple terms. I found this one interesting on how he broke down the basics on the pigs he butchers and sells and how much it actually costs him to get a final product. You probably have to get about halfway into the video to get to a the break down of all that but the real interesting part is probably in the last 5 minutes where he explains how it costs him more to raise his own pork than it probably would be to just go buy it at the grocery store because of how things favor the corporate farms and packing industry who can do it cheaper. The trade off though is you will probably get a better quality meat from your local farmer than what you can get at the grocery store.

The cattle industry has similar issues but you can probably find cheaper and better quality beef if you buy from a local farmer instead of the store. We get our beef from my brother in law who holds back a certain number of steers a year and he sells us the beef at live weight the time he takes the steer to the locker and we pay the processing fees. What we pay him for the animal is basically what he would get if he took it to the sale barn instead so he's really not making anything extra on either way although some livestock producers likely will mark up the price to make a little more profit that way and still make it a more affordable product for the consumer too. That is where the meat packers are raking in some big profits these days because they acquire the animals at a low cost because they basically dictate the market prices and then can process them cheaper than the local locker can then they mark it way up for retail.

There really is no easy way to explain some of this agriculture stuff without getting more wordy than I have already in my posts but it's not as cut and dry or black and white as some think it is because there are so many variables that factor into profit margins in farming and it constantly changes. Fertilizer and fuel costs are always changing as well as many other inputs. You could essential plant a crop with record high input costs then watch the market prices fall to lows by the time you harvest it and have it essentially wind up costing you more to grow the crop than you get for it when you harvest it. There is always mother nature who can help or hinder your yields too. Could have an expensive piece of machinery break down and cost a big repair bill.

Bottom line, even though I do not farm for a living I grew up around it and still have family and friends that farm for a living so I will defend their way of living because I know the hard work and tough circumstances they deal with and am glad I don't have to do it for a living. I am glad I have a comfortable office cube I earn my paycheck from and can complain about petty/insignificant things and don't have to worry about the next big storm hurting my bottom line or not knowing what my income for the year is going to be until I take a product to the market and hope the prices are good. When my father in law was still alive he always made a point to tell the grandkids to go to college and find a good job because farming isn't easy and not always fun either. I'm thankful for the job I have because I know first hand myself how much it sucks to try to thaw out a livestock water in the middle of a blizzard just so your cows have water to drink or to go check cows after a thunderstorm and find one that was struck dead by lightning.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
What is breathtaking are the guys that bellyache about single mothers in the city on welfare, yet they receive hundreds of thousands in subsidies
Honestly this is kind of why I started this thread. I know it’s just a few, but the few farmers I know personally are ones who whine about their crops and it being rough out there with their $300,000 tractors and $70,000 brand new truck and yet they are judging single mothers and poor that are just trying to make a rent payment each month in a **** apartment…yet that farmer sure welcomes that bailout check every time.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Thank you, this is a fantastic contribution to the thread.
The ag companies protecting their products with intellectual property patents is pretty similar to many industries outside of agriculture. I’m sure Apple has a ridiculous amount of IP protection on their products so people can’t just take their designs and recreate the iPhone. Artists protect their music with patent protection. I guess I don’t understand why ag should be expected to be different. It also protects universities as well. The great land grant universities also have patents developed by researchers that they sell or partner with large companies to help fund their programs. In turn they ask the companies to protect their patents as well.

Reactions: wxman1 and aauummm

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The ag companies protecting their products with intellectual property patents is pretty similar to many industries outside of agriculture. I’m sure Apple has a ridiculous amount of IP protection on their products so people can’t just take their designs and recreate the iPhone. Artists protect their music with patent protection. I guess I don’t understand why ag should be expected to be different. It also protects universities as well. The great land grant universities also have patents developed by researchers that they sell or partner with large companies to help fund their programs. In turn they ask the companies to protect their patents as well.
I think it favors major industry and has basically destroyed the small farmer but I'm sure you have better insight.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
But why should anyone not be allowed to voice concern, seems as though many of the people who don't like my message don't disagree with my over arching goals. It's a methodology problem. I don't have a problem being proved a fool if it fosters my own education and helps to push a narrative I think everyone needs to care about.
Asking questions and keeping people accountable in a polite and decent manner is a good thing. Cutting people down and being derogatory about their profession usually makes you wind up looking foolish. My opinion of food service changed a lot and I'm way more patient and understanding after working multiple jobs in the industry. I never would have believed delivering mail would be as hard and stressful as it is but the last two years have been eye opening.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think it favors major industry and has basically destroyed the small farmer but I'm sure you have better insight.

There are also a number of concerns around the ethics of patenting genes/biology. As well as how it contributes to a movement toward monopolization of the industry.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
Honestly this is kind of why I started this thread. I know it’s just a few, but the few farmers I know personally are ones who whine about their crops and it being rough out there with their $300,000 tractors and $70,000 brand new truck and yet they are judging single mothers and poor that are just trying to make a rent payment each month in a **** apartment…yet that farmer sure welcomes that bailout check every time.
You sound just like those farmers you are complaining about. Maybe next time go do something good for this world rather than ******** about someone else’s faults. Oops. Now I sound like you.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Asking questions and keeping people accountable in a polite and decent manner is a good thing. Cutting people down and being derogatory about their profession usually makes you wind up looking foolish. My opinion of food service changed a lot and I'm way more patient and understanding after working multiple jobs in the industry. I never would have believed delivering mail would be as hard and stressful as it is but the last two years have been eye opening.
Have I been degrading farmers? Maybe you weren't directing it at me but it wasn't my intention.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Being a CCA mail carrier without your own route yet is the worst. Especially if you don’t have a 40 hour or 8 hour a day doctors note for management. They will literally make you work 60+ hours a week running around doing others routes that need delivered. That **** is hell during 100 degree days and -20 degree days.

Reactions: HitItHard58

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
An old saying from my great grandpa:
You can have a lot of fun in a New York minute
But there's some things you can't do inside those city limits
Ain't no closing time, ain't no cover charge
Just country boys and girls getting down on the farm
Your great grandad waxing eloquent on the midnight train?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So the farmers you supposedly talk to sit around complaining about single mothers on welfare? Yea I’m gonna guess you’re making that up.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
The average age of the farmer in this country is 57. The end of the small farms can have many causes. One of the largest is the next generation isn’t coming home to the farm. Farm consolidation is happening rapidly because most farmers kids aren’t coming back. Also the farm crisis of the 80’s took a ton of small farms and sent a ton of farm kids to college or town for jobs because there was no money on the farm with ridiculous interest rates and low prices. That’s basically a lost generation of farmers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron