Are farmers too needy?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Who's forcing you to accept money?
Farmers have the option of not accepting money, but they would be dumb not to. How many people here declined their stimulus payments the last 2 years?

If there are 2 farmers in a room, and one accepts subsidy money and the other doesn't, one of their businesses is instantly at financial disadvantage compared to the other.

• Dumb
  • Winner
Reactions: CyDude16 and cyinne

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I've asked for your input and even in a polite way. You have refused.

Here's a little of your own hyperbole:

"Most (farmers) aren't open to adding buffers to their land to lower the pollutants and even help with soil erosion."

"The real monsters of the Ag industry are the seed producers who hold a captive market."

"Same could be said of the giant mill farms turning out 20,000-40,000 head and dumping hog **** into the rivers."

"Not all farmers are bad but the industry is sloppy at the margins and looking to get worse considering the Supreme Court is currently taking a knife to the EPA."

"Iowa has the worst water in the country."

This was just your first post. None of these things are substantiated in any way, or really even true, but go on about people not engaging with you on the issue.

I say that as a guy who grew up and learned on an award winning conservation operation, who served as an elected soil and water commissioner for more than 8 years.

Are you from Des Moines? What do you do for a living? Maybe that would be more fun to pick at?

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
"Most (farmers) aren't open to adding buffers to their land to lower the pollutants and even help with soil erosion."

"The real monsters of the Ag industry are the seed producers who hold a captive market."

"Same could be said of the giant mill farms turning out 20,000-40,000 head and dumping hog **** into the rivers."

"Not all farmers are bad but the industry is sloppy at the margins and looking to get worse considering the Supreme Court is currently taking a knife to the EPA."

"Iowa has the worst water in the country."

This was just your first post. None of these things are substantiated in any way, or really even true, but go on about people not engaging with you on the issue.

I say that as a guy raised on an award winning conservation operation, who served as an elected soil and water commissioner for more than 8 years.

Are you from Des Moines? What do you do for a living? Maybe that would be more fun to pick at?
I already said what I did for a living, tee off, or maybe make fun of my family member. I can take the criticism. Maybe instead of being an ass you could offer up some of your knowledge? I say what I say because I'm passionate about this subject. Please enlighten me. Your attitude for the lay attempting to make civil discourse through a public forum is frankly embarrassing if you're an academic.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It’s not a difficult math equation….go ahead.
I think he is taking this thread a little too seriously if he's comparing Scott's Turf Builder to whatever he's doing on the farm and whatever his seed is treated with before planting yearly. They probably aren't the same products. That's the part I found funny.
Trust me, I'm not a farmer hater and have had many talks with Bill Northey personally.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
I think he is taking this thread a little too seriously if he's comparing Scott's Turf Builder to whatever he's doing on the farm and whatever his seed is treated with before planting yearly. They probably aren't the same products. That's the part I found funny.
Trust me, I'm not a farmer hater and have personally had many talks with Bill Northey personally.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Trust me, I'm not a farmer hater and have personally had many talks with Bill Northey personally.

But fertilizer analysis is fertilizer analysis.

Chems would be different.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
Trust me, I'm not a farmer hater and have had many talks with Bill Northey personally.
You want to be the expert who tells farmers what they can and can’t do. Maybe you should know what you are doing first. It’s very easy to figure actual N P and K rates. Have you ever looked at the bag or just turn the dial to setting number 4 ? Farmers fertilize under guidelines set by many different agencies to do what is best for the environment and their farms.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Turn2 and Die4Cy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You want to be the expert who tells farmers what they can and can’t do. Maybe you should know what you are doing first. It’s very easy to figure actual N P and K rates. Have you ever looked at the bag or just turn the dial to setting number 4 ? Farmers fertilize under guidelines set by many different agencies to do what is best for the environment and their farms.
See you can participate. I would assume we disagree on the extent of the regulation but this is at least constructive.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
1. They can have a multitude of diets. Grain just aligns well economically.
2. We "need" far, far less meat than we consume.
Yes, and a lot of that meat gets distributed to less fortunate , which goes back to the original post. But farmers are bad

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
But fertilizer analysis is fertilizer analysis.

Chems would be different.
I honestly don't know and am not trying to be a smart ass, how can a granular fertilizer analysis compate to a liquid analysis, especially if they are different products?
Is wind speed and distance to water taken into account if it's liquid and can carry thru the air?

Again, I'm not telling farmers what to do or saying they are mooches, my posts have been about Tim McGraw for ***** sake.

• Haha
Reactions: DeereClone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I honestly don't know and am not trying to be a smart ass, how can a granular fertilizer analysis compate to a liquid analysis, especially if they are different products?
Is wind speed and distance to water taken into account if it's liquid and can carry thru the air?

Again, I'm not telling farmers what to do or saying they are mooches, my posts have been about Tim McGraw for ***** sake.
They're probably associating you with me. Sorry.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
See you can participate. I would assume we disagree on the extent of the regulation but this is at least constructive.
We probably don’t disagree with some of the actual problems. No good farmer wants to pollute. I disagree with how you digest and spread misinformation on the whole. And yes there are some poor farmers

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I never told you what to do. I just laughed about a 100x rate comment and about my bag of fertilizer. You're taking this way too seriously.
And since you have you've joined my ignore list.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
We probably don’t disagree with some of the actual problems. No good farmer wants to pollute. I disagree with how you digest and spread misinformation on the whole. And yes there are some poor farmers
I don't claim to be an expert but I have at least provided links. Most everyone else has just been beating their chest about some stupid purity test.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I live in the WI Driftless and have not heard this. What county trout streams are you referring to?

Was just in Vernon last week. Have seen it in Iowa county too.

Anecdotal on my part although there's articles about some clean up partnerships, but the last 5-6 yearsish there's been more and more mats of algae on top and silt to wade through.

I noticed last week in the spots with lots of algae, the water was much warmer.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
The farm subsidy nonsense will stop when Iowa loses it's outsized importance in presidential elections.

Still looking for an intellectually honest justification for ethanol.
Texas, Illinois, and Minnesota are all in the top for farm subsidy payments. Pretty sure those aren’t swing states. Illinois has voted blue every election since 1988 and Minnesota hasn’t voted red since 1972

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16