Why are Farmers never happy?

Are farmers too needy?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Personally, I’m enjoying the contributions of posters that have a hard time understanding chocolate milk in this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Technology advances killed the small farmer. My great-great grandpa farmed and made a living on 320 acres before tractors were around. This was a large farm in its day. It took him 2+ months to plant that land and now I can plant that 320 acres in a single day now. Should I get to make the same living that he made with my 1 day of work vs his 60?

I'd argue economies of scale and the required upfront capital investment did it. But you could definitely argue tech advances got that ball rolling.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Technology advances killed the small farmer. My great-great grandpa farmed and made a living on 320 acres before tractors were around. This was a large farm in its day. It took him 2+ months to plant that land and now I can plant that 320 acres in a single day now. Should I get to make the same living that he made with my 1 day of work vs his 60?
You can say the same about every mom and pop hardware store across the Midwest that got ran out of town by Menards, Fleet Farm, Thiesens, Lowe's etc. Economies of scale in business eventually win out. The consumer gets used to a lower price and someone is willing to increase their production to make that pencil out.

Unfortunately nobody would be able to afford food if a large farm was 320 acres and took 2 months to plant. I don't like it either but we've paved our path and can't go back now. It'd sure be nice to go back in time and fix stuff like Walmarts wiping out small town businesses though.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Demand it and go nuts on NIL!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'd argue economies of scale and the required upfront capital investment did it. But you could definitely argue tech advances got that ball rolling.

You are right. My argument is the technology allowed/encouraged/enabled the economies of scale and capital requirement to get out of hand.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836