• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Texas, Illinois, and Minnesota are all in the top for farm subsidy payments. Pretty sure those aren’t swing states. Illinois has voted blue every election since 1998 and Minnesota hasn’t voted red since 1972
I assume land mass comes into question here or is this per acre?

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016
I honestly don't know and am not trying to be a smart ass, how can a granular fertilizer analysis compate to a liquid analysis, especially if they are different products?
Is wind speed and distance to water taken into account if it's liquid and can carry thru the air?

Again, I'm not telling farmers what to do or saying they are mooches, my posts have been about Tim McGraw for ***** sake.
Simple answer. All forms of fertilizer can be broken down to an actual analysis. Your turd that you send down the Des Moines river can too

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I honestly don't know and am not trying to be a smart ass, how can a granular fertilizer analysis compate to a liquid analysis, especially if they are different products?
Is wind speed and distance to water taken into account if it's liquid and can carry thru the air?

Again, I'm not telling farmers what to do or saying they are mooches, my posts have been about Tim McGraw for ***** sake.

For granular vs liquid you’d have to get the weight of the liquid product per gallon and convert your gallons back to pounds to compare apples to apples. A lot of liquid fertilizers weigh about 11 lbs per gallon for easy figuring. Then you’d multiply the analysis by the weight of gross product applied to get actual pounds of each element applied.

Liquid fertilizer is heavy enough and the spray tops are good enough you don’t have to worry about it drifting in normal wind conditions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: royalcy and JP4CY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, and a lot of that meat gets distributed to less fortunate , which goes back to the original post. But farmers are bad
.....and if the aim is just to feed the less fortunate, we can do that in a much more sustainable and economic fashion.

Reactions: dahliaclone

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
So who is it a shot at because i sure hope you dont mean me. I grew up in a family that raised cattle (and still does still on a much smaller scale now) and my in-laws who have crop farmed and raised livestock for multiple generations. I may not know everything and don't claim too but I know enough that I am comfortable debunking some of these blanket and vague statements and comments from people who don't have a damn clue about agriculture.
No not at you either. People ***** and moan about all sorts of industries and occupations, most of the time having zero experience or actual knowledge of what comes with it. Not singling anybody out just more of a commentary on society as a whole because we all do it.

Reactions: CYdTracked

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For granular vs liquid you’d have to get the weight of the liquid product per gallon and convert your gallons back to pounds to compare apples to apples. A lot of liquid fertilizers weigh about 11 lbs per gallon for easy figuring. Then you’d multiply the analysis by the weight of gross product applied to get actual pounds of was higher element applied.

Liquid fertilizer is heavy enough and the spray tops are good enough you don’t have to worry about it drifting in normal wind conditions.
Now this is good info!

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate farmers and their work. But holy **** they ***** about everything. Too much rain, not enough rain, too much wind. And then they expect the state government to write them a subsidy check for it. I have no problem with people getting the help they need, but if local farmers keep getting subsidy checks then they should stop ******** about the poor getting some welfare help as well.
OMG! Don't say that in Iowa! WTH.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
No not at you either. People ***** and moan about all sorts of industries and occupations, most of the time having zero experience or actual knowledge of what comes with it. Not singling anybody out just more of a commentary on society as a whole because we all do it.
But why should anyone not be allowed to voice concern, seems as though many of the people who don't like my message don't disagree with my over arching goals. It's a methodology problem. I don't have a problem being proved a fool if it fosters my own education and helps to push a narrative I think everyone needs to care about.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Umm, well I guess you're right. You didn't say ACCEPT, but despite your poor spelling, you most certainly did bring it up.

You are arguing something that I am not arguing. I didn’t say anyone should or should not take money. I said our family would rather harvest the crop. Seriously u are trying to argue some weird point right now about taking money that I am not arguing. It’s totally weird

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I assume land mass comes into question here or is this per acre?
That’s total dollars paid. Those are all massive states for both livestock and row crop production. Texas is #1 for farm subsidies a good chunk of that would be cotton. Cotton production across the world is pretty subsidized. In fact China has ridiculously aggressive subsidies on Cotton.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That’s total dollars paid. Those are all massive states for both livestock and row crop production. Texas is #1 for farm subsidies a good chunk of that would be cotton. Cotton production across the world pretty subsidized. In fact China has ridiculously aggressive subsidies on Cotton.
Interesting, I didn't know Texas was big into cotton.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Here's a little of your own hyperbole:

"Most (farmers) aren't open to adding buffers to their land to lower the pollutants and even help with soil erosion."

"The real monsters of the Ag industry are the seed producers who hold a captive market."

"Same could be said of the giant mill farms turning out 20,000-40,000 head and dumping hog **** into the rivers."

"Not all farmers are bad but the industry is sloppy at the margins and looking to get worse considering the Supreme Court is currently taking a knife to the EPA."

"Iowa has the worst water in the country."

This was just your first post. None of these things are substantiated in any way, or really even true, but go on about people not engaging with you on the issue.

I say that as a guy who grew up and learned on an award winning conservation operation, who served as an elected soil and water commissioner for more than 8 years.

Are you from Des Moines? What do you do for a living? Maybe that would be more fun to pick at?

That's not Iowa specific but it's a larger overview of my point. I actually tried, you're just hurling insults from a position of supposed authority.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/natural-environment/air-water-quality

You're right it's not the worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turn2 and CyDude16

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009

That's not Iowa specific but it's a larger overview of my point. I actually tried, you're just hurling insults from a position of supposed authority.
This article is pretty one sided. Farmers don’t have to buy from the big companies that have intellectual property protection. There are public varieties that aren’t patent protected available developed by universities. The reality is when people replant the seeds there is less funding that goes into research. Also those “evil” companies are pouring billions into addressing crop response to climate change by developing drought/heat tolerance, disease tolerance, increased fertilizer efficiency, etc

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This article is pretty one sided. Farmers don’t have to buy from the big companies that have intellectual property protection. There are public varieties that aren’t patent protected available developed by universities. The reality is when people replant the seeds there is less funding that goes into research.
It's clearly complicated but I've heard many a case be made against the Seed companies by Seed farmers who are beholden to their rules. I'm not really sure on viability for a competetive yield based on not using a certain seed though.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
It's clearly complicated but I've heard many a case be made against the Seed companies by Seed farmers who are beholden to their rules. I'm not really sure on viability for a competetive yield based on not using a certain seed though.
How are those companies supposed to come up with the money if people can replant their seeds every year? Also with corn production for example we plant hybrid seeds. You can’t replant field corn and get the same results you get from buying seed produced by a company it doesn’t work that way.