RECRUITING: Osun Osunniyi commits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Disagree.

Osun will get 25-30 minutes at the 5. Ward will be the backup 5 playing 10-15 mins.

Jones has been recruited over. He's now our emergency guy in the post.

Yes, Osun's past production fills an obvious need. Though a player is never recruited over; they are merely challenged with more competition. Come conference play, the players that have proven themselves the most will be playing the most.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Really like where we stand after the Osunniyi commitment. If Green comes aboard great, but even without him this team should be well-balanced and able to win multiple ways.

We don't have a 18ppg scorer on the current roster, but we have a solid group of defenders and a starting 5 that could all average over 10ppg. Plus, we will have a proven group of bench players who could drop double figures on a hot night.

This is a roster that allows TJ to create matchup problems or match the opposing team. We could go small with: Williams, Holmes, Kalscheur, King and Osunniyi/Ward/Kunc or go big with: Williams, Holmes, King, Ward/Kunc and Osunniyi.

I think the 2022/23 Cyclones will be fun to watch- score points and play smothering defense.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We honestly should not worry about our roster anymore. TJ is clearly a top tier recruiter. A mass exodus happened and the whole Tyrese thing and all TJ did was say “Hold my beer”. We are in good hands.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Osunniyi and Ward will be the “Twin Towers” that Foster and Conditt were supposed to be.

Agreed, although most of Wards minutes will likely come at the backup 5 because we will also have Jaz and then King come conference play. Then there will likely be some minutes with small ball as well. But Ward will definitely get some time at the 4 and 5, especially non conference.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Jones is a perfect utility 5 man. Last year he had some great moments but was forced to play more than he should’ve because Conditt was either in foul trouble or was playing poorly.

This sets up perfectly for him to come in at specific moments when needed and I can’t think of a time we had this much depth at the 5 spot.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Jones is a perfect utility 5 man. Last year he had some great moments but was forced to play more than he should’ve because Conditt was either in foul trouble or was playing poorly.

This sets up perfectly for him to come in at specific moments when needed and I can’t think of a time we had this much depth at the 5 spot.

Yea there are opponents like TCU, with Lampkin, where his physicality & fouls might be needed.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This phrase doesn't apply to me. If I'm put in a challenging situation, I'm going in with my beer in my hand.

giphy.gif

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
One impressive thing with Osunniyi is how much he played without getting into foul trouble. Each of the last three seasons he averaged 30+ minutes a game, never averaging more than 2.7 fouls despite being a rim protector. For Iowa State he might be able to cut down his minutes but play at a higher intensity, then have 10-15 minutes with Ward at the 5, plus whatever Jones gives or Kunc gives in a small-ball look.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
One impressive thing with Osunniyi is how much he played without getting into foul trouble. Each of the last three seasons he averaged 30+ minutes a game, never averaging more than 2.7 fouls despite being a rim protector. For Iowa State he might be able to cut down his minutes but play at a higher intensity, then have 10-15 minutes with Ward at the 5, plus whatever Jones gives or Kunc gives in a small-ball look.
He’s never played Kansas in a league game.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I
Exactly, Jones came here with Foster and Conditt on the roster. He definitely seems like a great culture piece for the team, too.
I think the writing was on the wall for Foster already. I don't think the original post meant Jones needs to leave. I'd be thinking playing time with the additions coming in and Kunc returning if I were him. We have a deep frontcourt all of a sudden. I don't remember an ISU team with this much length..excited about this addition..wasn't expecting it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
247 REALLY likes this incoming class for ISU

"Every good team needs an identity, and T.J. Otzelberger and Iowa State have that. The transfer portal additions of Osunniyi, Jeremiah Williams (Temple), Hason Ward (VCU), Jaren Holmes (St. Bonaventure) and Tre King (Eastern Kentucky) all have something in common. Every single one of those guys have elite defensive traits. Class of 2022 signees Eli King, Tamin Lipsey and Demarion Watson all profile as guys who will be really good defenders one day. Oh, and Gabe Kalscheur came back. Iowa State is trending in the right direction for Northern Iowa transfer AJ Green, so another Sweet 16 run could be very much in the cards for Otzelberger."