DG

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been rewatching some games from this year. His issue now isn't strength. He is actually backing down smaller guards this year, and gets to the rim at will. His issue is making layups, as in it is all in his head. Hopefully he snaps out of it and gets a few of them to fall.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
He tries to get too cute and spin the ball occasionally instead of just laying it in. He also needs to learn there are times to dunk.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Totally agree there. The lack of strength may show up in the Big 12, but for now, it seems like he doesn't concentrate when he gets to the rim. He takes an almost lackadaisical approach.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I've been rewatching some games from this year. His issue now isn't strength. He is actually backing down smaller guards this year, and gets to the rim at will. His issue is making layups, as in it is all in his head. Hopefully he snaps out of it and gets a few of them to fall.

with the exception of the HB game, Garret's been finishing very well. Maybe he's just getting the good roll now, but his percentages for the Houston, Mercer, and SIU-E games were really good.

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
with the exception of the HB game, Garret's been finishing very well. Maybe he's just getting the good roll now, but his percentages for the Houston, Mercer, and SIU-E games were really good.

Yeah, i agree

Last year he couldn't even finish a wide open layup, but this year I think he's improved greatly. He's finishing when he gets to the basket, and going up with a little more strength.

Don't know what game you guys were watching, but you must've mistaked Diante for Wes or something

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Every game, Diante has missed at least 1, usually more, chip-ins. Just something I noticed.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
DG has been great this year. When he is on his game he is really really good. I love going to home games just to watch his on the ball defense.

Remember we never saw Jamaal Tinsley until he was about 35 years old.

S. Haluska is the world leader in blown layups.

Last edited:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
He wasn't ready for the Big 12 last year, but his upside is off the charts. He just keeps getting better.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
DG has been great this year. When he is on his game he is really really good. I love going to home games just to watch his on the ball defense.

Remember we never saw Jamaal Tinsley until he was about 35 years old.

S. Haluska is the world leader in blown layups.

Yeah, I just expected SH to have a better year. Guess he needs to get revved up in non conferenc before he scores much.

cojo

Mar 30, 2006
blalock was the same way his first year and a half. great breakdown, incredible vertical to get to hoop, but then just couldn't get it to go down...it would carom off, hit back iron, etc.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
DG was horrible around the basket last year. I don't remember seeing any one at the college level miss as many close shots. He has gotten a lot better, still has a way to go.

VanderHuge

Jan 6, 2009
North Liberty, IA
It's all in his head? You can tell by watching him play that missing layups is all in his head? Wow can you diagnose everyone else's problem & e-mail it to G-Mac? Your expertise could be of great use, I'm sure.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We would be a lot better team if he made them - that would present a real threat to the defense. Right now, let him drive and shoot.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
blalock was the same way his first year and a half. great breakdown, incredible vertical to get to hoop, but then just couldn't get it to go down...it would carom off, hit back iron, etc.

I don't think Blalock really ever got past that. That was a constant source of frustration I had with him over the years. That and trying to make an easy play look fabulous, and sometimes costing us a possession.

DG has a bad habit of dribbling way to much and not being able to finish when he gets to the hole. I really like DG and our offense is more productive when he's out there. But, it would be so much better if teams had to worry about him finishing off shots when he does get to the rim...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd like to see DG have the vision to pass when he gets into the lane, and not take it all the way to the hole every time. Or, have I just missed that this season?

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

DG's biggest issue continues to be dribbling the ball too high. He has given up numerous turnovers when he starts his drive, gets to about the FT line, and gets stripped without drawing a foul when he gets into traffic. The real go-to-guys learn to get over this hurdle. DG isn't there yet, but could be if he can improve his handle in traffic.