Way way WAY Too Early Depth Chart for 2022

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Agree, doubt we'll be in these sweepstakes.

But as far as the portal goes, I'd love see us in on FSU kicker Parker Grothaus. Could be our next Mevis.
SIAP, but is Mevis not eligible to take another year because of Covid?

He is done according to multiple sources.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Agree, doubt we'll be in these sweepstakes.

But as far as the portal goes, I'd love see us in on FSU kicker Parker Grothaus. Could be our next Mevis.
SIAP, but is Mevis not eligible to take another year because of Covid?
How hard is it to understand Mevis has no eligibility left?

Not trying to be rude but it's been discussed at nauseum.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Ive heard something about Johnson moving to Safety. Would Tampa move up to starting CB and Verdon to backup S?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Vance is returning. I can confirm.
If Vance is back we need to use him more in blitzing scenarios.

Remember the year (maybe it was 2019?) where he started the year with 6 sacks in the first 6 games or something? He clearly has a knack for that.. He seemed to have a lot of injuries this year or was just not himself. The kid can play.

Reactions: Neptune78

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Yes, the OL has to finally show growth. It's been 6 years of middling. IMO Coach Meyers is out over his ski's at this level. Recruiting talent for the group has gotten better but on field production hasn't.

While it has certainly felt like OL has been manhandled a few games - we had statistically the best RB in the nation and were somewhere around the top 25 for sacks allowed. What metric do you use to measure OL success or simply eye test?

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
While it has certainly felt like OL has been manhandled a few games - we had statistically the best RB in the nation and were somewhere around the top 25 for sacks allowed. What metric do you use to measure OL success or simply eye test?

I'd say ISU also had great RB with Montgomery too and it's continued with Hall because of their talent. Purdy has been great at avoiding sacks as well. Too often there's a lack of push on runs and we can look at game in which Iowa State has faced good defenses that the offensive line is often overmatched.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Our freshman played really well against Clemson. Good to see that.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I keep hoping Blake Peterson will play more. Really thought we got a good one when he committed. Admittedly he came into a very competitive position group with Will, Eni and Zach.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
A simple metric, but yes, let's start with this
I’m waiting for Howard Brown to run some QB on 3rd and short and 4th and short! But from underneath center not back 5 yards! I never understood why you hike it in shotgun when you need a yard or less!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It wasn't as bad as some thought imo.

It would go a long ways to get better play from the QB and coaching from the OC. Purdy often made it harder on himself and the OL than needed, and Manning has little ability to help the OL. For example, that 3rd and 1 on the first series against Clemson was a handoff to Brock 20 seconds in the making, pulling our guard and having the new freshman OT pickup the Clemson DL. That is on the OC.

Of course, if Kolar's route was not one yard short of the first, we're not even in that spot. That is on the offensive staff too. Purdy acting like a freshmen on the turnovers...just bad details on offense nearly every game

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Y’all ever stop to think that Tom Manning uses a limited playbook because he knows how inconsistent the line is?

or that Purdy sees ghosts because he’s running for his life every play?

Not sure about your first statement, but I think your 2nd about Purdy is certainly true. If not ghosts, it at least forced him into playing a type of hero ball that wasn't ideal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron