Way way WAY Too Early Depth Chart for 2022

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Kolar & Breece will be sorely missed. We leaned on them heavily for offensive production.

I'd like to see our offense develop a stronger smash-mouth philosophy. I think Dekkers has Collin Klein/Joel Lanning potential in the ground game should we choose to use him that way. Our zone read could be a legitimate threat. I also hope we continue to run the three tight end sets even if they are primarily blockers next fall.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I was impressed with Blake when he was in later in the year. He will fill in fine being opposite of Will. Lee also did well filling the run gaps.
Oh I agree. Blake did well and Lee has been solid.

Im more talking about depth.

Do we have another 6’4-6’5 270-300lb run stopper like ZP and Enyi have been? Those two have had great length and leverage for 3+ years.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Am I correct that Tyler Miller only played in 4 games this year?

That would make him a third year sophomore this coming fall with 4 years of eligibility remaining. Correct?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Couple thoughts on your good write up here:

- I think you nail the starting OL. That starting OL can be improved next year and can big an above average OL in the league. Downing can road grade better than Newell, Hufford and Simmons are good talents. The question is tackles for me. I like remsberg and miller is unproven. Miller showed out well in the bowl.
- I predict Gains or Essex in league play starts to play more than Shaw, simply b/c it seems they have more speed.
- Look at this defense coming back? I can seriously argue Freuler is all big 12 first team next year. Getting Vance back is huge. And the starting LBers with Reeder, Vaughn, and Vance will be really good. CB looks solid as well and Craig McDonald is very talented. The D to me can be better next year, seriously.

To me, the key at CB is whether Johnson plays there. I think that we're deeper at Safety, but most signs point to him moving. I was disappointed in Tampa this year. Purchase looks to be a good CB, but he has a pretty big step forward to make to get there. Kyle disappeared this year and by some accounts left the team for a stretch. I feel like if they are starting Tampa and Purchase, they are going to have to make major improvement or CB is going to be a liability. Not that they can't.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Oh I agree. Blake did well and Lee has been solid.

Im more talking about depth.

Do we have another 6’4-6’5 270-300lb run stopper like ZP and Enyi have been? Those two have had great length and leverage for 3+ years.

I think that's Anderson.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
To me, the key at CB is whether Johnson plays there. I think that we're deeper at Safety, but most signs point to him moving. I was disappointed in Tampa this year. Purchase looks to be a good CB, but he has a pretty big step forward to make to get there. Kyle disappeared this year and by some accounts left the team for a stretch. I feel like if they are starting Tampa and Purchase, they are going to have to make major improvement or CB is going to be a liability. Not that they can't.
Are there any signs outside of message board speculation?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Are there any signs outside of message board speculation?

Just the quote from Johnson when he announced he was coming back that he wanted to show his versatility. Maybe it means nothing...we won't know until spring. I do think that he's a Safety in the NFL and not a CB, so it makes sense.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I think we are underestimating our losses at TE. Hopefully between Dean, Moore, & Hanika we can get some receiving production. I don’t trust that we simply replace that production with the WRs we have.

To that point, hopefully there are some WRs currently on the roster that can blossom and step up (if we don’t get a transfer). Guys like Daniel Jackson, Darien Porter, Tristan Michaud, D’Shayne James, Aidan Bitter. Someone from that group needs to emerge.

My main question on the defense is, who can fill in and be run stoppers like Enyi and ZP were?

That, and who steps up at LB to push the starters. Need depth there.
Or here’s a thought. We need to spread out more 4 wide to open up the running game. Perhaps that plays to dekkers strengths more anyway. I’ll throw up next year if we start out against Iowa doing long delayed run plays up the middle. They kicked our ass defending that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron