Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Are we going to pretend there wasn't a big hullabaloo about this a couple years ago with former players speaking up?

I don't really have an opinion on Bill personally. I did have several @-hole coaches growing up. There's holding people accountable and then there's crossing the line and making it personal. Many coaches have huge egos and it's about daring to challenge their authority more than anything. I don't really enjoy those kind of people in general. Not everything needs to be a competition.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I mean bill does have his problems screaming girls down. That would be my guess

I can tell a number of you have not watched much WBB. I have seen a number of coaches get on players, give them the stare or take them out of a game after a mistake . But some on here seem to think our coach is the only coach that does this.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Are we going to pretend there wasn't a big hullabaloo about this a couple years ago with former players speaking up?

I don't really have an opinion on Bill personally. I did have several @-hole coaches growing up. There's holding people accountable and then there's crossing the line and making it personal. Many coaches have huge egos and it's about daring to challenge their authority more than anything. I don't really enjoy those kind of people in general. Not everything needs to be a competition.

I would venture to say most college athletes come prepared to be coached hard. If you commit to Iowa State and don't realize you are in for some tough coaching you didn't do your homework.

I think where players get frustrated is not feeling fairly and consistently treated. As has been mentioned, it seemed like Feurbach caught much more flak from Bill than the other freshmen. As good as Donarski and Ryan were, they still made quite a few freshmen mistakes. But I can recall very few times where Bill would get on them about their mistakes or give them the quick hook in the manner he would Feurbach.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
It may be possible the mistakes that were being made had been pointed out in practice and were still not corrected in game. Hence the more flak scenario but no one really knows. One thing is for sure, it sucks for ISU and for Feurbach that it hasn't worked out because no one wanted this thing to fail.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I agree with you. All coaches get on the players from time to time and that's fine but CBF in my view has a way that appears to demean them or almost embarrass them. And yes he does have his favorites who escape that type of treatment on the bench. Now how he is in practice, I don't know. Maybe totally different. Hate to lose her. Go Cyclones.

I have sat 6 feet from the bench since 1998. Some of what we hear seems almost certainly intended to be mean and demeaning, often causing the women in our section to gasp. I remember an entire time-out spent screaming profanities at a sobbing Kelsey Bolte, who was standing behind the bench while the seated players were ignored.

I also think he has admitted some anger management issues. I have heard that practices are worse.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have sat 6 feet from the bench since 1998. Some of what we hear seems almost certainly intended to be mean and demeaning, often causing the women in our section to gasp. I remember an entire time-out spent screaming profanities at a sobbing Kelsey Bolte, who was standing behind the bench while the seated players were ignored.

I also think he has admitted some anger management issues. I have heard that practices are worse.
You get lost in the heat of the moment. I manage a competitive team from time to time and I lose it on people. I think like others said consistency is most important.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Old story, but has some merit.

"You’ve got to be able to take criticism,” former ISU forward and 2013 ISU graduate Chelsea Poppens said. “Not everything is going to be sugar-coated. He’s going to be honest with you. For girls that can sometimes be hard, but he’s a good coach. You just have to take that and use it to your advantage ... I don’t mind getting criticized for what I do. It’s the only way to improve upon who you are at the moment.”

" Fennelly has mellowed just a bit, his daughter-in-law said, after Billy and Lyndsey had a son, Will, last spring His love for his grandson, Lyndsey said, may be one of the few impediments to Fennelly coaching another 20 years.

But his personality has remained consistent on the court, even when he had throat cancer and needed to write on a white board to get his points across. For some players, that personality doesn’t fit".

Last edited:
Reactions: Cytown12 and 06_CY

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019

Oh wow. This is disappointing.

• Agree
Reactions: WBBfan15

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
706-337. 67.7% Winning Percentage. In the top 25 of all time wins for a coach at D1 level.

His results pretty much speak for themselves.

Reactions: JCloned

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I find it interesting that so many keep resorting to the “Bill is an *******” mantra. Watch coaches out there like auriemma or Mulkey. Pat Summit used to terrify me as a spectator. There are lots of coaches that get in the faces of their players. I really can’t think of any that hold their hands and sing Kumbaya to make them feel better in a game. You also don’t know WHY coach might be getting on them. What happened in practice? How many times did they go over something in practice only to have a player blow it in the game?

Those coaches win conference and national championships. It's easier to take when you are winning everything, in my opinion.

I can see why his style doesn't fit with some players.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Results don't mean that you're not an ass hole. No one is questioning the results.

I would say many are critical of how he coaches. He is a very successful coach. Some kids can deal with it, some can't. I would also say for every 1 who says he was to hard, or mean or an *******, 10 would say he was a great coach and mentor.