Email to KXNO about JDMiller...

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
I think we should send an email or letter to KXNO/Clear Channel about getting Jon Miller a Cyclone counterpart on his show. I think he's decent, but if you're in love with the Hawks, then you'll automatically spin everything toward the Hawkeye point of view even if you THINK you're not. Anyway, I doubt a letter/email would do anygood, but maybe if enough of us got on board they may at least think about it. Thoughts? Has someone already done this?

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
He's been doing better then I expected, but I just think the show would be better with a Cyclone in on the discussions as well.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Anytime we don't agree with what he's saying we'll demand an ISU balance on the show.

While I don't agree with him, I think we're going a bit over the top with this.

zoutte

May 8, 2006
I think he'll play the part of the "middle of the road, down to earth Hawk fan" until something like this comes up. But if we Cyclones devalue anything Hawkeye, or challenge the Hawk status quo, you'll see the fangs come out. It will happen again very soon as I don't think Pollard buys in to that "Hawkeye State" line of thinking. Someone should make a chronological list of what Pollard has done since coming to Ames..what..a year ago?? What he has done is truly amazing!!!! Support his vision!!

Last edited:

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Did you also want to send in a letter asking for a Hawkeye co-host when Deace had his show and provided a slant from the Cyclone point of view? I think it's time to settle down. If you don't agree with a viewpoint, call in and bring another perspective. Or don't listen. For all the people that said they wouldn't listen to KXNO when the programming changes were made last year, there sure is still alot of complaining about what happens on those shows.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Actually, the thing about Deace is that you knew he was a Michigan fan. He doesn't bleed cardinal and gold. So, that's the point.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Did you also want to send in a letter asking for a Hawkeye co-host when Deace had his show and provided a slant from the Cyclone point of view? I think it's time to settle down. If you don't agree with a viewpoint, call in and bring another perspective. Or don't listen. For all the people that said they wouldn't listen to KXNO when the programming changes were made last year, there sure is still alot of complaining about what happens on those shows.

Exactly, I think Cyclone fans need to look away from the Hawks, and quit worrying about them and what they think/do. IF we support Pollards plan, and the plan ultimatly works, in time, the Hawks will be our red-headed step child. But for the plan to work, we need to quit worrying about the Hawks, and focus on our program, and help our program in ANY way possible!

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Folks,

I do understand that some of the things I will say will not be welcomed by Cyclone fans. I have enjoyed it when I am on the same side of an issue that you are, and I have enjoyed it when I am on the other side of it.

Whether or not you like my topic, my slant, or even me on the radio, it's OK. You are free to feel what you want to feel, and that is a part of this job. I knew that when I signed on.

One thing that I am going to endeavor to do is to present a topic, in advance, to the side that might not care for it, just like I did with the things I discussed the past two days. I spoke with Malchow, and emailed both he and Pollard, asking them some questions, giving them a chance to comment, and also telling them what I was going to talk about. I did that so they would hear it from me, before they heard it from anyone else. So that someone didn't run into their office saying, 'You won't believe what Miller is saying', and so they can say, 'Yes, we already know. We spoke with him before he said it.'

I think that is a fair way to do my job.

So while some ISU fans will bristle if my opinions are viewed as being pro-Hawkeye, and at times they are going to be, without a doubt, I can live with that. Because I honestly do like the folks in Ames, otherwise I wouldn't pay them the respect in letting them know in advance that I will be talking about something they will certainly hear about.

Someone should make a chronological list of what Pollard has done since coming to Ames..what..a year ago?? What he has done is truly amazing!!!! Support his vision!!

Ken Miller did something like this last week on the Marty and Miller show.

-Replaces Morgan, hires McDermott
-Moves Cael to HC of the Wrestling program
-Presents the Master Facilities plan in early summer, gets it approved
-Puts up a Billboard in Eastern Iowa
-Sells 30,000+ season tickets for football (discounts Endzone, sells hillside on a season ticket basis)
-Renovates Hilton to some degree, gets a scoreboard that keeps score.
-Accepts McCarney's "Resignation"
-Hires Gene Chizik
-Starts selling season tickets to FB in January
-Get's more air time and ink in 15 months than anyone dreamed about

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
I am sure Jamie Pollard took your "noble" gesture of informing him of your opinion and placed it where it rightly belonged.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think we should send an email or letter to KXNO/Clear Channel about getting Jon Miller a Cyclone counterpart on his show. I think he's decent, but if you're in love with the Hawks, then you'll automatically spin everything toward the Hawkeye point of view even if you THINK you're not. Anyway, I doubt a letter/email would do anygood, but maybe if enough of us got on board they may at least think about it. Thoughts? Has someone already done this?

Just don't listen.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Thanks Jon. I guess my whole point is that I think the show would be better if you had a Cyclone counterpart. That's all I'm really saying.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I am sure Jamie Pollard took your "noble" gesture of informing him of your opinion and placed it where it rightly belonged.

I highly doubt that. Some people like Pollard actually understand this business and how the media reports certain things.

I'll bet Pollard has 10x the respect for Jon when compared to Marty. Last I checked, Jon never yelled at him on the air waves.

Jon knew he was going to discuss a controversial topic and contacted the AD's office at ISU to give them a heads up and explain what was behind that. To me that represents good media work and great class.

I highly doubt many of Jon's counterparts would do the same.

So while most of us may not agree with the views of the topic being discussed - have some ability to be objective when looking at the respect that was extended when reporting it.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Jon's doing his job, that about it. He needs to make interesting radio which will attract more listeners and thus increase ad revenue. By the amount of talk he has generated on this board in the last couple of days, I would say that he is doing just that. You may not agree with him, and I'm sure the majority here don't, but you can still gain something from listening. If the people on the other side aren't to happy with what you are doing, maybe you are on the right track? If you don't enjoy listening, don't.

That said, from a marketing perspective, a Cyclone counterpart on the show could increase the potential market size by bringing in Clone fans who otherwise have no interest in listening. Though that is a decision for their own management to make, and if they are happy with the show's performance as is, thats there call. Of course, a little customer feedback good or bad can't hurt, email away.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Jon's doing his job, that about it. He needs to make interesting radio which will attract more listeners and thus increase ad revenue. By the amount of talk he has generated on this board in the last couple of days, I would say that he is doing just that. You may not agree with him, and I'm sure the majority here don't, but you can still gain something from listening. If the people on the other side aren't to happy with what you are doing, maybe you are on the right track? If you don't enjoy listening, don't.

Agreed.

And again, here we are in January still talking about ISU football. How is that bad?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think Jon does a pretty good job overall. It would be similar to me doing a show.....eventually I would make Hawks fans mad, because my opinions would have a Cyclone slant even if I tried not to. The take on the Iowa ticket prices seemed to evoke memories of the kind of arrogance that irritates me about Iowa fans, but if I don't agree with his opinion, then oh well. If I want a Cyclone only forum, I come here.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
One of my pet peeves is the way the words "class" and "respect" are thrown about on the internet. Maybe it is just me, but those are WAY overused...

So, if Terrell Owens tells a guy, "Hey I am going to spit in your face now" before he does it, then Terrell is a "classy" guy with "respect" for his opponent?

Just wondering....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron