What to do with Coach Prohm Poll..

What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Would love for this WS thing to be true... note that "head coach" wasn't mentioned, just "a position". I realize it would be odd to take that kind of pay cut & drop to assistant, but I suppose it could happen. Didn't someone say that Kennedy is there, Prohm's mentor? Maybe he cuts a deal w/ Jamie to get some of the buyout. Win-win for all.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Would love for this WS thing to be true... note that "head coach" wasn't mentioned, just "a position". I realize it would be odd to take that kind of pay cut & drop to assistant, but I suppose it could happen. Didn't someone say that Kennedy is there, Prohm's mentor? Maybe he cuts a deal w/ Jamie to get some of the buyout. Win-win for all.

Billy Kennedy is an assistant there.

https://goshockers.com/staff-directory/billy-kennedy/1420

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Not premium subscriber, but this seems in poor form to some degree if smoke is leaking. It’s one thing to say he shouldn’t be back, but to call in ties to WS and Kennedy seems a bit much with 2 months left in the season.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
You have to understand that many of the same people wanted Prohm gone the day after he was hired.
After his first season, you could argue that people were not sold on him (including me), but I don't recall anyone wanting him sacked until after the season where Monte, Naz, Deonte and Matt weren't on campus anymore. But definitely not before he even coached a game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
After his first season, you could argue that people were not sold on him (including me), but I don't recall anyone wanting him sacked until after the season where Monte, Naz, Deonte and Matt weren't on campus anymore. But definitely not before he even coached a game.

I do not think there was a convincing case for sacking him until, well, now-ish.

2016 = considering our history, you don't fire a guy after a Sweet Sixteen appearance

2017 = you don't fire a guy after winning the Big 12 tournament

2018 = everybody expected the roster to stall out and need a rebuild this year anyways

2019 = Prohm actually assembled a pretty impressive collection of talent this year and won the Big 12 tournament with it, so you figure he has proven he can restock the roster once and can do it again... but a lot of cracks showed, too, in making that talent play together/managing egos and putting together a passable defense

2020 = oh dear, well, he lost a lot from the previous year, let's see if he can start to turn it around

2021 = oh goodness... this clearly isn't working, and the new guys aren't making an impact

Firing a guy with that level of success given our history would have been silly before, well, now.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Oh yeah.........they had their panties in a wad it wasn't T.J. and haven't been happy since.

• Disagree
Reactions: jcisuclones

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yes they were just mainly Hoiberg fanboys, but honestly at this point it’s basically irrelevant.

Being relevant wasn't my point. I was responding to how it is "poor form" to be leaking/making up anything like this with two months left in the season. My point being....when it comes to Prohm..."poor form" is the MO of those individuals.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yes they were just mainly Hoiberg fanboys, but honestly at this point it’s basically irrelevant.
Call me a Hoiberg "fanboy" I guess I just thought we could do alot better at the time. Prohm hadn't even been to the NCAA tourney in 3 years, most mid-major coaches that get jobs at Top 10 programs at the time have had either a deep run in the NCAA tourney or have been there multiple years.

He went once in 4 years with Kennedys players. I dont remember all the specifics but I think he had an NBA point guard at Murray for most of those years which makes it easy to dominate conferences like that.

Then I heard some rumblings within the first month on campus he wasn't meshing well with the players. You could tell right away things just weren't quite the same with the exact same players Hoiberg had.

The following year the team was really struggling and I think 13-9 at one point until they upset Kansas, then finally went on a nice run with 5 seniors.

2018-19 was my last straw, he somehow assembled one of the best teams in school history coupled with the worst coaching ive seen in my lifetime. It was inexcusable they lost to that Ohio St team.

The last 2 years I've completely checked out and am well past the point of apathy. Hes completely killed Hilton Magic also with all the horrible home losses. The guy just flat out can't coach at this level and would be better at a mid major or as an assistant and recruiting coordinator at a Power 5 school.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Call me a Hoiberg "fanboy" I guess I just thought we could do alot better at the time. Prohm hadn't even been to the NCAA tourney in 3 years, most mid-major coaches that get jobs at Top 10 programs at the time have had either a deep run in the NCAA tourney or have been there multiple years.

He went once in 4 years with Kennedys players. I dont remember all the specifics but I think he had an NBA point guard at Murray for most of those years which makes it easy to dominate conferences like that.

Then I heard some rumblings within the first month on campus he wasn't meshing well with the players. You could tell right away things just weren't quite the same with the exact same players Hoiberg had.

The following year the team was really struggling and I think 13-9 at one point until they upset Kansas, then finally went on a nice run with 5 seniors.

2018-19 was my last straw, he somehow assembled one of the best teams in school history coupled with the worst coaching ive seen in my lifetime. It was inexcusable they lost to that Ohio St team.

The last 2 years I've completely checked out and am well past the point of apathy. Hes completely killed Hilton Magic also with all the horrible home losses. The guy just flat out can't coach at this level and would be better at a mid major or as an assistant and recruiting coordinator at a Power 5 school.
Didn't Cameron payne just carry them to the tourney?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I was surprised as well they couldn’t get a better coach with what Hoiberg had built and left.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

So yeah, some fans definitely wanted him fired from the moment he was named as Hoiberg's replacement.