What to do with Coach Prohm Poll..

What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
First, I actually agree. Scott Drew is a great coach, and I'd love for what's happened at Baylor to happen at ISU.

Second, its funny, but this board used to rip Drew as a horrible coach, including his inability to handle timeouts and in-game coach well. At the time, those objections were valid. We used to do the same thing about Shaka Smart and even inFranity. We loved that they didn't get fired as their programs would never be elite. I'm still not 100% sure on Iowa or Texas going forward, but I think Baylor will be a powerhouse for years.

Third, Drew and Prohm are very similar in that they connect with players very well, especially due to sincere shared faith/beliefs that result in genuine trust and firm bonds with players and their families.

I'll leave it at that, but I do think it's fun to look back at viewpoints we had about similarly situated programs and analogize them to the current situation.

Very good post!

Reactions: agentbear

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Part of the reason it feels worse is that ISU was bad when McDermott started and just kind of stayed at that same level of bad. ISU went from top 15 team to bottom of the Big 12 in Prohm's tenure so far.

I would have rather had the successes of the Prohm era (e.g., three NCAA tournament berths, a Sweet Sixteen, two-time Big 12 tournament champions, a win in Lawrence, the only team to defeat national runner-up Texas Tech in Lubbock that particular season, and plenty of other big wins against high-major peers, landing some big-time recruits and placing a number of enterprising young men in the NBA to build our network, etc.) compared to...

Just sucking. No notable accomplishments whatsoever. Just a boot stomping on our face the whole time. Plus no pride in Iowa State built -- Wesley Johnson left, and Craig Brackins refuted the program after he left.

McDermott MVC ball was ******* boring, too. Not only did we suck, but there was nothing entertaining about it.

So yes, assuming Prohm is done after this year, his tenure was manifestly more successful than McDermott. Think of Rhoads and Chizik -- Rhoads had a fast start but eventually stalled out, then crashed and burned, but he gave us some good memories along the way. It was fun at times. Chizik gave us nothing but defeat and bad football.

The situation is similar here.

Better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Frustrating that ISU seems to have been the tough job for GMAC, and who knows, maybe Prohm moves on and proves he can coach too. If that does happen, maybe it's just as difficult to win in Ames in basketball as it is football.

I don't think it's anymore difficult to win in Ames than anywhere else. Wayne Morgan never had a losing season. Sometimes things just don't click be it for a season or two........................or four. This is where the AD has to juggle the BS, be it on message boards like this, over the phone, at luncheons with what he thinks the coach is capable of. Prohm has won here. He can recruit. He does connect with his players. These are things the AD has to juggle when things are going tough.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
this may be elsewhere but I was told last night by a donor that Sukup and some other "Large" donors have stated they are done with Prohm. It's been discussed that he will accept a position with Wichita State, where apparently he is good friends with the AD...and leave of his own accord as opposed to being removed, thus saving face.

Rumor, I realize...but figured I'd share. It sounds like a glorious solution to me.

FWIW, I have a vendor I deal with at work who is a Shocker alum, he has heard this as well. Idk how much there really is to it but it's coming out on their end as well. Based on track record of this person, I wouldn't say I'm super convinced but it's interesting to hear it from a WSU fan. He's less than thrilled, I think this would be a really tough sell to a fanbase with expectations like Shockers fans have. They know basketball. I

That said, this would be best basketball news we've gotten since Foster committed in November '19. Seems almost too good to be true but it would be the best case scenario for both ISU and Steve Prohm. If he sticks around until JP finally fires him, he won't land in a spot like WSU.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
FWIW, I have a vendor I deal with at work who is a Shocker alum, he has heard this as well. Idk how much there really is to it but it's coming out on their end as well. Based on track record of this person, I wouldn't say I'm super convinced but it's interesting to hear it from a WSU fan. He's less than thrilled, I think this would be a really tough sell to a fanbase with expectations like Shockers fans have. They know basketball. I

That said, this would be best basketball news we've gotten since Foster committed in November '19. Seems almost too good to be true but it would be the best case scenario for both ISU and Steve Prohm. If he sticks around until JP finally fires him, he won't land in a spot like WSU.

I'm going to throw out some if's here. But if CSP doesn't leave and if Foster gets %100 healthy and if they start winning next year.......why would he even want to coach at a spot like WSU?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy$ and heitclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm going to throw out some if's here. But if CSP doesn't leave and if Foster gets %100 healthy and if they start winning next year.......why would he even want to coach at a spot like WSU?
I don't imagine he would in this scenario. But how likely is the scenario? Foster being healthy is obviously realistic, but can the returning group of mostly these same guys really win? The players don't seem to believe it right now, and the man in charge looks tired and worn down, like a man running out of time. I don't know if another year can be risked at this point. I am for him to get it figured out and turned around, but my belief-o- meter is at an all time low.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

It’s gonna take more than one successful year to get back in the good graces of most fans. Can he sustain it? I just don’t see it at this point. His staff is what’s gonna hold him back.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
this may be elsewhere but I was told last night by a donor that Sukup and some other "Large" donors have stated they are done with Prohm. It's been discussed that he will accept a position with Wichita State, where apparently he is good friends with the AD...and leave of his own accord as opposed to being removed, thus saving face.

Rumor, I realize...but figured I'd share. It sounds like a glorious solution to me.
Huge....if true.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm putting the chances of CSP ending up at WSU at far less than 50/50, but it's encouraging. It's a start to the end we know has to come.
Hoping we get an update on the premium boards from CW, either a confirmation or denial of the rumor.