Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Come on people, regardless of how we feel about the EIU this is clearly just extortion and a frivolous lawsuit. The only people who gain in this situation are the lawyers.
Iowa has already admitted to wrong doing on two counts during this entire process. They admitted to being in the wrong given that they kept on a S&C coach who had been, at the very best, verbally abusive and at worst, verbally abusive towards black players.

Iowa's second wrongdoing came when the investigation found issues with a few other coaches NOT named Chris Doyle, and not doing anything about it. They kept on Wallace and little Ferentz and who knows what their punishments were or if there even were any.

Iowa's also had their head coach play stupid this entire time claiming he didn't know about any of these problems within his program, while the University contradicted him in saying they've actually heard of these issues and developed a task force to mitigate these widespread issues.

If this goes to court, it's going to be bad for Barta, Kirk, and the rest of the football staff. That's why Iowa will settle this and will probably do so pretty soon. They can't come out of this thing unscathed due to how they handled this from the beginning.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Come on people, regardless of how we feel about the EIU this is clearly just extortion and a frivolous lawsuit. The only people who gain in this situation are the lawyers.
You don't read very well do you?

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
As @Rabbuk said earlier, discovery is going to be interesting and something @uiowa does not want
I can see both sides of it. I think a lot of people stayed quiet because they didn't want to offend anyone, whether it was their former teammates or a coach. I think the obvious angle for Iowa, especially as it pertains to Doyle, is that he was a **** to everyone and not just African American players. I think it would be pretty easy for Iowa to prove that. I'd like to hear from the African American coaches on staff as well as hundreds of other student athletes.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
While this seems like a lot of money, it wont be unless a jury decides on a higher amount. Lets break the numbers down.

1.25 million is what they are asking. This an amount determined by the lawyers based on the means of the university to pay, and what they think would pay out in the court system. A settlement of half would be considered a good settlement amount. This equates to $625,000. If it settles right away the lawyers will likely get 1/3 of this amount. Tax law has been changing and I'm unsure of how exactly it will be in this situation, but the player could be on the hook for the taxes od the whole thing. So roughly 1/3 of the total. This leaves 1/3 for the victim. Or around $208k. If the victim doesn't have to cover the taxes for the lawyers amount, then they end up with around $278k

Going to trial likely bumps up the lawyer fee to 1/2 of the amount. Assuming they get the full 1.25 million, the lawyer gets half and they end up with $625k before taxes. If they are responsible for all taxes they walk away with the same 208k, and if they arent responsible for the taxes on the lawyers portion they walk with around $417k.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Just remember, Iowa fans thought they lost the Meyer case because the head juror was an ISU grad. This has a lot of potential before it’s all said and done

• Haha
Reactions: motorcy90

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
While this seems like a lot of money, it wont be unless a jury decides on a higher amount. Lets break the numbers down.

1.25 million is what they are asking. This an amount determined by the lawyers based on the means of the university to pay, and what they think would pay out in the court system. A settlement of half would be considered a good settlement amount. This equates to $625,000. If it settles right away the lawyers will likely get 1/3 of this amount. Tax law has been changing and I'm unsure of how exactly it will be in this situation, but the player could be on the hook for the taxes od the whole thing. So roughly 1/3 of the total. This leaves 1/3 for the victim. Or around $208k. If the victim doesn't have to cover the taxes for the lawyers amount, then they end up with around $278k

Going to trial likely bumps up the lawyer fee to 1/2 of the amount. Assuming they get the full 1.25 million, the lawyer gets half and they end up with $625k before taxes. If they are responsible for all taxes they walk away with the same 208k, and if they arent responsible for the taxes on the lawyers portion they walk with around $417k.

I'm not sure money is the real goal here. I think the firing part of the suit is the goal and the endgame. The money is the red heron and simply a negotiating play. I think the players just want their school to clean house due to years of ongoing racism from KF staff.

My 2 cents

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Statement like this always make me laugh: #currentplayersseemhappynow

This is not unique to Iowa but current players almost always stick up for their coaching staff no matter what. Think about it They are a bunch of 18-21 year old kids who are trying to get and stay in the staff's good graces. Plus, most of them have never been inside other programs so they tend to think their school is the norm or in most cases "better".

I'll always put more weight on ex-player's opinions versus current players. And in this case it sounds like if you criticize the coaching staff while you are a player you might as well hand in your transfer papers at the same time.

It is literally the point of the former players speaking out. They are doing it for the current/future players because they were in that situation and know how difficult it would be to speak out and draw the reaction from the coaches and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron