AP Poll prediction

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Michigan and Minnesota each moved up a line, after improving from 0-0 to 0-0! (The rest of Big Ten stayed steady).

Yeah, what a joke this AP Poll is. Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan all ahead of us because.... well.... everyone just knows they are all better than lowly ISU without even having to play a single game yet.

These teams should not be ranked yet, and even if they are, they should not move up in the rankings without having to prove anything whatsoever yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
@cyclones500 is right. I was using it in that context. Us jumping ULL seems like that apparantly forgot.

LOL at us being top 10 if we won...
Oklahoma State is ranked 7 at 3-0 and had we beat ULL, we would be 4-0 with some pretty good wins. OU, TCU and ULL would all be arguably better than Oklahoma State’s best win.

Now the Cowboys started higher so that helps, but we would be right around 10 if we had won that game, and started 4-0.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Winning will take care of the ranking issues. The most important part is to be ranked this year - not where Iowa State is ranked for the free media exposure: 24, 20, 14, 10, etc. does not matter. I know Iowa State is good enough to make it to the Big Xii Championship Game and win it, but there is not enough Kool-Aid in the world to make me think this team could win a Playoff Game against Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. So, just keep winning Big Xii Games, win the Big Xii and land in a really nice NY6 Bowl (Cotton is my preference). If they somehow run the table, are 10-1 and land in the Rose or Sugar Semi-Final, I can live with it! :)

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Winning will take care of the ranking issues. The most important part is to be ranked this year - not where Iowa State is ranked for the free media exposure: 24, 20, 14, 10, etc. does not matter. I know Iowa State is good enough to make it to the Big Xii Championship Game and win it, but there is not enough Kool-Aid in the world to make me think this team could win a Playoff Game against Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. So, just keep winning Big Xii Games, win the Big Xii and land in a really nice NY6 Bowl (Cotton is my preference). If they somehow run the table, are 10-1 and land in the Rose or Sugar Semi-Final, I can live with it! :)

One of the best post I've read on this site. I feel the same way about oSu and K-State, my favor being with the Pokes since pretty much the getgo. All eyes will be on ISU/oSu in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
One of the best post I've read on this site. I feel the same way about oSu and K-State, my favor being with the Pokes since pretty much the getgo. All eyes will be on ISU/oSu in a couple of weeks.
Blah blah blah Kansas State is the greatest football program ever and I need to constantly have others tell me so in order to go about my day in the best of ways.

Seriously give it a rest anytime someone disagrees with you about your precious Wildcats.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Oklahoma State is ranked 7 at 3-0 and had we beat ULL, we would be 4-0 with some pretty good wins. OU, TCU and ULL would all be arguably better than Oklahoma State’s best win.

Now the Cowboys started higher so that helps, but we would be right around 10 if we had won that game, and started 4-0.
This may be the worst year to win the Big12. Even IF (and that is a big if) we could run the table, but I doubt a 1-loss team gets into the playoffs this year. With the reduced schedules, I predict that there will be more undefeated teams than usual.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This may be the worst year to win the Big12. Even IF (and that is a big if) we could run the table, but I doubt a 1-loss team gets into the playoffs this year. With the reduced schedules, I predict that there will be more undefeated teams than usual.

We're ISU. There is never a bad year to win the conference.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

You have to remember part of the it's a "bad" year is most years OU wins that game against ISU and is in the running for the conference. Win ISU wins more games, those loses have to be incurred somewhere. What people are really saying is "wow different teams are at the top of the standing"

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
You have to remember part of the it's a "bad" year is most years OU wins that game against ISU and is in the running for the conference. Win ISU wins more games, those loses have to be incurred somewhere. What people are really saying is "wow different teams are at the top of the standing"
I don’t think you’re following what he’s saying. If ISU hypothetically ran the table and finished with one loss, GTO is saying with less games played (10v12) statistically there will probably have more undefeated teams. And more undefeated teams would likely leave one loss ISU out of the playoffs (hypothetically).