CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is just dumb. You don't something like this after a bad loss without knowing exactly what the implication is. Unless you're a complete idiot, and I don't believe you're that dumb.

You don't want reactions like this? Then don't post stuff like this without any explanation

Hey, he's trying to back off of his edgy troll job!

Reactions: WooBadger18

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Rhodes' first 4 seasons were fine. One of the best 4 year stretched in school history actually. It was the last 3 seasons that were really bad. This is like comparing Prohm's first 2 years to the first 2 years of Hoiberg's tenure and claiming Prohm is a much better coach.

For a equally irrelevant comparisons

Kirk Ferentz: 22-26 his first 4 seasons.
Bill Snyder @ K-State: 18-26.
Art Briles @ Baylor: 25-25
Matt Campbell is 26-25.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Let’s start with TCU before getting excited about Tech
that-moment-your-realize-that-you-screwed-up-cody-eppley-got-doink-new-york-yankees-hey-hey-hey-look-out-oohh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Wow, anybody have a bet on the Louisiana- Lafayette whale line by VegasDave?
Gonna have to consider betting against us in season openers :) ISULL.JPG

Reactions: Candide

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Rhodes' first 4 seasons were fine. One of the best 4 year stretched in school history actually. It was the last 3 seasons that were really bad. This is like comparing Prohm's first 2 years to the first 2 years of Hoiberg's tenure and claiming Prohm is a much better coach.

For an equally irrelevant comparison, Kirk Ferentz was 22-26 his first 4 seasons. Bill Snyder was 18-26. Campbell is 26-25.

More importantly, are we ever going to get to a point where we spell CPR's name correctly?

Otherwise good points although KF and BS to me were really, really honed in on the foundation. It seemed that way with CMC to start but it's waned off a bit imo.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I’m sorry but this is a stupid thread. People seem to forget how awful of shape Rhodes left this program. 3-9 the first year and then every year since has been pretty freaking good. I have no issue with expecting more from this team because I definitely did, but we are in significantly better shape than Rhodes had this program in

Obviously CMC is a better coach its not even a comparison with CPR but let's not pretend he inherited a juggernaut. Pollard held on to him too long but from top to bottom, the program was in a better place after CPR than when he got here. He put butts in the seats and created a buzz that helped get the SEZ here, other new facilities, he dealt with realignment , he won games that got us national recognition, some of our best wins of all time were under him.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Edit: +2, my apologies.

You need serious help in the fan department if I have to explain why these two don't even compare on the same spectrum. Take a long hard look into your brain, if you still ask the same question, no one can help you.

I guess I should edit this, but I'll respect mtowncyclone13's odd love for posting odd threads when he knows his own answers but refuses context. He gets off to people's assumptions.

Last edited:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
This went exactly how I imagined. I provided no context and made no judgement yet the majority of this thread jumped all over it. Most of you assumed I was advocating for CPR over CMC. Not a chance. Numbers are still numbers.

We need to stop assuming the worst when we don't know the details, stop judging others, and understand even though we're all fanatics that this is a game.

I don't know if it's my age, the pandemic, 2020, the garage game, or what, but for some reason I stopped caring as much. I wish I hadn't, but the reality is we can't control any of it.

So you enjoy this eh? Yes, context matters. But why even post it out there when knowing all the details? Odd thread to be honest.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is a turning point in Iowa State football history. This week right here.

We either recede to our historical mediocrity, or ascend to the highest heights we've ever seen.

Agreed. If this ends up being a losing season, it's probably Campbell's 2013 and in a few years he's no longer our coach, and it probably isn't his choice.

If we right the ship, Campbell is who we thought he was.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This thread is the reason why we can't have nice things.

In my OP II'm stating objective numbers without opinion or comment.

Opinion wise, CMC is clearly better at building a program and generating excitement. But how does posting numbers change any of that?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
While Campbell is clearly the better coach and has accomplished more than Rhoads, he still has to do more. Right now, we're at the plateau point, but teetering awfully close to trending downward. The last three games this team have been played have been bad football. ND was a much better team team than us, but we got smashed at KSU and at home by a Sun Belt squad.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Let’s start with TCU before getting excited about Tech

Agree.

Also, question:

What if TCU can't play the game on 9/26 due to having a ton of covid cases still? Do they forfeit?

Also, If they fail again this week, that means they can't play ISU the following week, right? How does this all work, because there really isn't another date available to have a make-up game?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
We cant do better than MC. Saban isnt coming here. At some point just realize our peak as a football program isnt far from our current status. Iowa isnt a hotbed of D1 talent and we dont have unlimited resources. A winning record, regular bowl trips and an occasional 10 wins season is the top of the mountain for ISU football.

• Agree
Reactions: Candide

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
In my OP II'm stating objective numbers without opinion or comment.

Opinion wise, CMC is clearly better at building a program and generating excitement. But how does posting numbers change any of that?

Nope. I'm convinced that winning football can't be done here. After Saturday I'm stepping back

But I'm ALL IN for the Iowa State PrISUm solar car! Who's with me?!? I bet it has more wins than Thunder Dan McCarney at this point!!

#moreassthanatoiletseat

59f92711a1888.image.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We cant do better than MC. Saban isnt coming here. At some point just realize our peak as a football program isnt far from our current status. Iowa isnt a hotbed of D1 talent and we dont have unlimited resources. A winning record, regular bowl trips and an occasional 10 wins season is the top of the mountain for ISU football.

Rhoads took us a step farther than McCarney. Campbell took us a step farther than Rhoads thus far. If Campbell doesn't end being the guy to go to the next step, I think it's still possible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron