cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
We did go to 3 bowls in PR's first 4 years so it's not like we were completely horrible. We also never won more than 3 conference games during those years.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Not surprising considering we weren't in very good shape when Campbell took over. I think Rhoads had his most wins that first season (7)?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Are people serious about what they are insinuating? Personally, I have enjoy the Campbell era thus far more than the Rhoads era during the same time-frame, and here's why:

1. Rhoads failed to win more than 3 conference games in a single season
2. Campbell has beaten every Big XII foe
3. Campbell has three victories over top 10 opponents (2 more than Rhoads)
4. From 2017-2019, ISU went 10-1 in month of October
5. ISU made the Alamo bowl under Campbell

Back to back 8 win seasons for the first time since the 70s

Winning conference records

Beat Oklahoma

Much better recruiting

I‘m good with Campbell

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Outside of everything else that's been pointed out, Rhoads also coached in the B12 North for the first few years. This comparison is cherry picking at best.
The highest ranked team we played in Rhoads first year was Kansas. They finished the season 1-7 in Big 12 play. True story

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I appreciate what Rhoads did in his tenure and he had some memorable moments but it is night and day difference how much better Campbell's teams play. We have a few stinkers for losses under Campbell but if you look over the game logs of both coaches Campbell's team usually had chances to win a lot of games they lost while Rhoads had some ugly blowouts we had no chance at winning.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Chizik left Rhoads with some big time players actually. There wasn't much here when Campbell came in. The fact he did what he did his second year was incredible

The cupboard wasn't entirely empty when Campbell came in.

He inherited some good players from the Rhoads era, include...

Allen Lazard
Cole Netten
Nick Fett
Demond Tucker
Jhaustin Thomas
Kamari Cotton-Moya
Patrick Scoggins
Willie Harvey
Brian Peavy
Jake Campos
Hakeem Butler
Joel Lanning
Marcel Spears

...and probably some others that I forgot. I just went off the top of my head for the above.

Rhoads obviously did not know what to do with much of that talent, especially on defense, towards the end, and the QB position was a goat rodeo underneath his tenure, but we did have some players.

Much of the early Campbell "resurgence" was led by the old Rhoads guys above.

I am not trying to trash Campbell here. I <3 him still. I just want those guys there to get their due for leading the program's turnaround and sticking it out through what was a difficult period.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The cupboard wasn't entirely empty when Campbell came in.

He inherited some good players from the Rhoads era, include...

Allen Lazazrd
Cole Netten
Nick Fett
Demond Tucker
Jhaustin Thomas
Kamari Cotton-Moya
Patrick Scoggins
Willie Harvey
Brian Peavy
Jake Campos
Hakeem Butler
Joel Lanning
Marcel Spears

...and probably some others that I forgot. I just went off the top of my head for the above.

Rhoads obviously did not know what to do with much of that talent, especially on defense, towards the end, and the QB position was a goat rodeo underneath his tenure, but we did have some players.

Much of the early Campbell "resurgence" was led by the old Rhoads guys above.

I am not trying to trash Campbell here. I <3 him still. I just want those guys there to get their due for leading the program's turnaround and sticking it out through what was a difficult period.
Now do players Rhoads inherited

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron