***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This is an overdose of koolaid. If you take the low end of all your averages plus Jackson and the freshman, that’s 80 points per game. That’s not happening. Brown isn’t coming here, so you can forget that. Conditt would have to take a huge step forward to average double figures, which I guess can happen but I’m not counting on it. The reality is we are coming off a 20 loss season in which we are losing our best player and lottery pick. Prohm needs to do some damage on these last 3 scholarships for us to come close to the tournament next year. You can’t rely on these freshman next year after an offseason of no workouts on campus.
The scoring averages were too high, but I think our offense will be okay. We were decent on that end last year, even with a slow start shooting, a shooting guard that couldn’t shoot and killed ball movement, and playing two bigs. We’ll miss Haliburton, but we could improve in nearly every other aspect. Plus, if our defense were to improve by having more length, we could actually get transition and/or easy buckets.

Id love to add another guard that can help Tre and Walker at pg though!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Glad someone said it. And if Bolton is option 1 on offense we are in big trouble.
Bolton was a number one option on offense even with Haliburton in the lineup IMO. He will be a year older with a year under his belt as a starting guard in the Big 12. I don't see a problem with him being our number one option again, so long as he's worked a little bit on strength and decision making.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
History says we don't need to worry about scoring.

History says that whoever we get plus whoever we have coming back needs to learn to play defense more effectively than four lawn chairs and a plastic flamingo.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Prohm is unaware or unable to adapt to the paradigm shift. We lost 2 guys before we even started our season, we lost 3 more transfers right after the season, we lost another to The NBA. That’s 6 early outs plus Jake, Nixon graduating. If anyone thinks we aren’t losing more people this year, they are dreaming. Leaving open schollys for the future ignores the reality that openings will create themselves. People change schools like they change their underwear anymore. No player is guaranteed to stay more than one year. It is a constant stream of inflow and outflow. Once a roster becomes full, the cycle repeats a few months later. A coach needs to be able to react to a constantly reshuffled deck of cards. Prohm can’t do this without an upgraded staff that can find, fill, and fit the parts together on a continual basis.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Prohm is unaware or unable to adapt to the paradigm shift. We lost 2 guys before we even started our season, we lost 3 more transfers right after the season, we lost another to The NBA. That’s 6 early outs plus Jake, Nixon graduating. If anyone thinks we aren’t losing more people this year, they are dreaming. Leaving open schollys for the future ignores the reality that openings will create themselves. People change schools like they change their underwear anymore. No player is guaranteed to stay more than one year. It is a constant stream of inflow and outflow. Once a roster becomes full, the cycle repeats a few months later. A coach needs to be able to react to a constantly reshuffled deck of cards. Prohm can’t do this without an upgraded staff that can find, fill, and fit the parts together on a continual basis.
I agree that it’s not ideal to consistently have several open scholarships, but many of the recent departures have been Prohm’s call imo.

We do need to upgrade with at least a few of the openings.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Bolton was a number one option on offense even with Haliburton in the lineup IMO. He will be a year older with a year under his belt as a starting guard in the Big 12. I don't see a problem with him being our number one option again, so long as he's worked a little bit on strength and decision making.

Bolton could be a great complimentary player, and even a starter on a good Big 12 team. But if he is the best player on the team, the star.... I don’t think we will finish in the top half of the conference.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I agree that it’s not ideal to consistently have several open scholarships, but many of the recent departures have been Prohm’s call imo.

We do need to upgrade with at least a few of the openings.

Yeah, but they were “Prohms call” because he whiffed so badly on evaluating them when he recruited and signed them.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
History says we don't need to worry about scoring.

History says that whoever we get plus whoever we have coming back needs to learn to play defense more effectively than four lawn chairs and a plastic flamingo.

History also says we’ve always had a really damn good PG, something we don’t even have close to right now.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, but they were “Prohms call” because he whiffed so badly on evaluating them when he recruited and signed them.
That wasn’t the point of the post I responded to- would we be better had many of those misses been retained? In general, no. The attrition angle is way overblown. In fact, it’s a good sign that Prohm has learned to move on.

As to your point, yes, we have a had a little more misses than normal. That’s likely a big reason in why we’ve been more selective this spring.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Bolton could be a great complimentary player, and even a starter on a good Big 12 team. But if he is the best player on the team, the star.... I don’t think we will finish in the top half of the conference.
The star or the only star?

If the latter, not many of our recent beloved players could succeed in the scenario. Basically the White types.

If the former, we’ll see, but hard to say after just his sophomore season in which he played out of position for 1/3 of the conference season. He could be one of the stars, leading in scoring, on a tournament team. That’s the next step.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
History also says we’ve always had a really damn good PG, something we don’t even have close to right now.
That’s a good point. I’m optimistic no matter who we put out there will be serviceable. If we play defense and rebound, their job gets a lot easier.

Even if it’s Bolton, he’ll be better when in the 4/1 imo. Jackson should be better. Walker could give us positive minutes...better position than just moving a sophomore or freshman mid season to play alongside a shooting guard that can’t shoot (Nixon) and a blockaded paint with two bigs.

We didn’t know much about NWB and Haliburton as pgs until they were starting and good (imo Haliburton was a good pg Day 1). Both were good pgs on losing teams. Imo what’s around the pg is way more important than how good the pg is.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007

I admit I may be biased, but I read this as ISU gives him the best opportunity to both play a major role on a team and have a good chance to (if he plays the way he believes he can play) play in the NCAA tournament.

California: Major role guaranteed, but very low chance of NCAA tournament even if he plays very well

Michigan: Very likely NCAA tournament, but limited opportunity to play more than 15-20 minutes

USC/NC State: Unclear on role (could start, but might not depending on other new pieces), and unclear on NCAA tournament even if he plays very well

ISU: Pretty much guaranteed to start (absent a Freshman having a MAJOR impact), and him playing very well puts us in a position to make the NCAA tournament (absent a debacle at the PG position, which I admit is possible, but hopefully doesn't come to fruition given Prohm's long record of success developing lead guards)

NOTE: While some on here think he may not have a major impact, I'm pretty sure he believes he's good enough to have a major impact. Thus, the NCAA tournament analysis is assuming his belief is correct.

MiscRiot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2020
I admit I may be biased, but I read this as ISU gives him the best opportunity to both play a major role on a team and have a good chance to (if he plays the way he believes he can play) play in the NCAA tournament.

California: Major role guaranteed, but very low chance of NCAA tournament even if he plays very well

Michigan: Very likely NCAA tournament, but limited opportunity to play more than 15-20 minutes

USC/NC State: Unclear on role (could start, but might not depending on other new pieces), and unclear on NCAA tournament even if he plays very well

ISU: Pretty much guaranteed to start (absent a Freshman having a MAJOR impact), and him playing very well puts us in a position to make the NCAA tournament (absent a debacle at the PG position, which I admit is possible, but hopefully doesn't come to fruition given Prohm's long record of success developing lead guards)

NOTE: While some on here think he may not have a major impact, I'm pretty sure he believes he's good enough to have a major impact. Thus, the NCAA tournament analysis is assuming his belief is correct.
I would agree with all of this. And I think that NC State doesn't have an open scholarship (assuming one of their early NBA draft entrants returns to school). My gut tells me it's between us and USC. I don't think he'd want that role on the Michigan team. I don't think he'd want to be at Cal where he has less post-season chance than ISU. NC State might fit, but if they don't have a scholly, then they're kind of SOL.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
I saw my son's yesterday and they are both graduates of and big followers of the Illini basketball program. They tell me Illini Nation feels the Brown kid from Wake Forest is an Illini commit. Only thing holding him back is getting confirmation he can play next year and confirmation the IO (the guard that picked the Illini and led THT to pick the Cyclones per the stories there) turning pro, of which he has already announced. He does not want to sit next year. Who knows if their info is any more accurate than anything we read on CF, but Underwood is having solid recruiting year and doing a great job of turning the Illini program around, taking it the opposite direction the ISU program is going.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I don't know if it has been stated but Iowa State does play DePaul next year, if Coleman-Lands has some interest in playing his old school that could help landing him. Could be a non-factor but if I was in his shoes I would want to beat my old school.