***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I’m afraid to see what the defense would look like. GC is athletically capable and makes some good blocks, but he was a mess on defense at the end of last season. I doubt Foster will be better when defending screens on the perimeter.
Hence the thought of going with a zone. Get rid of the ball screen offense, and anything in the paint has to go through 2 7 footers. Depends on if they can both contribute on offense at the same time or not. I am guessing we don't see a ton of this, but if they are on the floor at the same time I am guessing this is the fix.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hence the thought of going with a zone. Get rid of the ball screen offense, and anything in the paint has to go through 2 7 footers. Depends on if they can both contribute on offense at the same time or not. I am guessing we don't see a ton of this, but if they are on the floor at the same time I am guessing this is the fix.
You think this staff will be able to install two defenses with a bunch of newcomers? We’ve had trouble learning just one.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
You think this staff will be able to install two defenses with a bunch of newcomers? We’ve had trouble learning just one.
We had trouble learning 2 with Zion and T-Lew on the roster. From the stands those guys couldn't grip 1 defense. I am hoping that having Javon in the building for an extra year, plus Jackson, Bolton, and Solo all being pretty good defensive players will help. Plus it looks like Dubar had a pretty intense defensive minded high school team.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
We had trouble learning 2 with Zion and T-Lew on the roster. From the stands those guys couldn't grip 1 defense. I am hoping that having Javon in the building for an extra year, plus Jackson, Bolton, and Solo all being pretty good defensive players will help. Plus it looks like Dubar had a pretty intense defensive minded high school team.
Those two didn’t play enough to be major reasons behind our very poor defensive metrics. Imo it’s fair to say it hasn’t just been a one year issue, although last year it was much worse, likely rooted in playing two bigs. That’s my source of optimism- just getting more athletic, not our ability to teach even more nuances to effectively a new team.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Those two didn’t play enough to be major reasons behind our very poor defensive metrics. Imo it’s fair to say it hasn’t just been a one year issue, although last year it was much worse, likely rooted in playing two bigs. That’s my source of optimism- just getting more athletic, not our ability to teach even more nuances to effectively a new team.
No child left behind? You obviously aren't a school teacher. Tough to teach complex defenses when 2 guys you need aren't getting the easy stuff. Can't just put them on the sidelines and teach everyone else and not them.

Also MJ could not guard a true 4 on the perimeter. I don't think he ever turned a driver at any point. I am hoping this helps a little bit.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I understand and generally agree with your message here. But George is a generous 6'10" not 7'0

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I understand and generally agree with your message here. But George is a generous 6'10" not 7'0
His wingspan helps. Let's just say 2 elite shot blockers instead. You are correct on height, but he plays like a 7 footer.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I seem to remember in both Seton Hall games George did not give up much height if any at all to the multiple guys SH had who were 7'0 and over. George imo is 6'11 or more but is listing he is only 6'10. We will know sooner rather than later when he is around Xavier more.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Can we change the name of this thread to, "Arm chair coaching, breaking down defensive schemes by said arm chair coaches, Prohm either sucks as a coach, or as a recruiter, or as a pescatarian and the general intricacies of everything but 2019-20 transfers?"

This way I don't open it hoping to garner information on any potential transfers.

Reactions: Acylum

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@WhoISthis

You perplex me.

Sometimes I read your posts and think you are one of the wisest ones on here, and I think you have a generally optimistic disposition when it comes to the program. Other times, we are unloading on each other with "dumb" ratings and tussling. I am still trying to figure you out. I am not saying you need to change or anything, but it is unusual for me to be so down the middle with stark agreement and disagreement with somebody.

If Foster can shoot from outside at an acceptable clip, then he works in a 4/1 offense (with Conditt as the 5 man in the paint), whatever you ultimately want to do on defense. Those two in a Baylor-type super-long zone would be intriguing.

This is essentially my hope, as well.

I do not think there will be any major coaching or schematic changes made. I just hope that the following combination of factors makes the difference --

-- the knuckleheads are gone
-- we are just generally taller, longer, and more athletic across the roster
-- not trying to force Nixon or Jacobson (at the 4, he was fine at the 5) out there
-- generally more experienced across the roster in certain places
-- Bolton and Jackson are undersized guarding any decent-sized guard or wing, but I hope they make up for that with effort, experience, and general peskiness

There will not be some silver bullet here. I hope the above mixture moves the needle on program defense, and BT/KenPom models it as if they do.

Prohm did put together the two best defenses of the 2010s for us (even if #49 and #55 nationally are not exactly something to brag about here) --

upload_2020-5-11_12-19-39.png

I know those are far from good (though 2019 would have been better without February turning into a disaster), but we have at least been better at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoISthis

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not to bring this thread all the way back to potential transfers...

@GoodmanHoops Stony Brook’s Andrew Garcia is expected to grad transfer, source told @Stadium. Averaged 13.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game this past season.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066768/andrew-garcia

@GoodmanHoops Source: Stony Brook also expected to lose Elijah Olaniyi.
Olaniyi put his name in for the NBA Draft. He is expected to either grad transfer or turn pro.
Averaged 18 points this past season.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278240/elijah-olaniyi

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Not to bring this thread all the way back to potential transfers...

@GoodmanHoops Stony Brook’s Andrew Garcia is expected to grad transfer, source told @Stadium. Averaged 13.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game this past season.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066768/andrew-garcia

@GoodmanHoops Source: Stony Brook also expected to lose Elijah Olaniyi.
Olaniyi put his name in for the NBA Draft. He is expected to either grad transfer or turn pro.
Averaged 18 points this past season.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278240/elijah-olaniyi

God bless you good sir...

Reactions: kentkel and Doc

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think next year we'll see a ton of GC and XF together, but I do think it will be a lineup used sparingly. That is some crazy length in the front court that could be fun to watch even if it is only for a single rotation.

I think Young and Foster would be better to pair together. Young hopefully is making that Senior leap. At 6'8 the better he can defend in space the better contract he can garner overseas.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
No child left behind? You obviously aren't a school teacher. Tough to teach complex defenses when 2 guys you need aren't getting the easy stuff. Can't just put them on the sidelines and teach everyone else and not them.

Also MJ could not guard a true 4 on the perimeter. I don't think he ever turned a driver at any point. I am hoping this helps a little bit.
So we’re blaming the poor defense we’ve consistently seen on guys that consistently didn’t play? Zion and Lewis were also the major issues in 2017-18 too?

You’d have a point if we had simplified the defense in order to play those two, but they were 9th and 10th in minutes played. The guys that played didn’t get it either. We still were bad with some of the same issues we’ve had under this staff regardless of personnel.

The optimism for improvement stems from having more length and athletic ability that will allow us to simplify the defense, not add more details and nuance imo. In other words, lots of switching and hopefully less pressure on sound team defense.

It’s rare a program that struggles to get their primary defense can successfully execute a secondary defense in which the staff has little experience.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Elijah Olaniyi is a stud. Does it all.

Stony Brook was comparable to Drake last year FWIW. Finished 2nd to a really good Vermont team in the American East.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Bolton's a pretty good defensive player? Maybe he's OK on the ball. Off the ball, I can't believe how many times a pass would go whipping right by his ear because he had his head turned completely away from the ball. I tend to be an optimist so I see the good effort and the quickness. Hopefully, it will improve next year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Bolton's a pretty good defensive player? Maybe he's OK on the ball. Off the ball, I can't believe how many times a pass would go whipping right by his ear because he had his head turned completely away from the ball. I tend to be an optimist so I see the good effort and the quickness. Hopefully, it will improve next year.
ok, yeah, but Haliburton's steals alone didn't make him a good defender. He was a big liability in pick and roll defense. I am saying Bolton didn't make common mental mistakes that cost us points.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ok, yeah, but Haliburton's steals alone didn't make him a good defender. He was a big liability in pick and roll defense. I am saying Bolton didn't make common mental mistakes that cost us points.
Yeah Bolton, Nixon, Grill, and Jackson were not poor defenders when guarding guys that were reasonable matchups. Anyone 6'4" or under those guys did okay on, however the fact that Lewis and Griffin could rarely see the floor, it required us to be severely mismatched at that 3 and 4 position constantly throughout games.

Reactions: moores2

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron